Income Tax Questions and Issues

Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Income Tax Questions and Issues

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

Just getting started on my income tax and this question came up,
Did you dispose of property in 2020, that was your principal residence....

Followed by this,
Starting with the 2016 tax year, individuals who sell their principal residence have to report the sale on their income tax return.

I didn't pay attention to it last year, but this could have huge implications for home owners in the future.
Could taxation of the value of our principal residence be coming?
I'm posting this from Traditional lands of the British Empire & the current Lands of The Dominion of Canada.
I also give thanks for this ethos richness bestowed on us via British Colonialism.

#StandUpToJewishHate
vegas1500
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Income Tax Questions and Issues

Post by vegas1500 »

bb49 wrote:Just getting started on my income tax and this question came up,
Did you dispose of property in 2020, that was your principal residence....

Followed by this,
Starting with the 2016 tax year, individuals who sell their principal residence have to report the sale on their income tax return.

I didn't pay attention to it last year, but this could have huge implications for home owners in the future.
Could taxation of the value of our principal residence be coming?
Yup, our fearless leader in Ottawa has mentioned taxing capital gains on primary residence for a while now.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

You might find answers as to why that question is asked.

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency ... duals.html
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

bb49 wrote:Could taxation of the value of our principal residence be coming?
Highly doubt it, they only require reporting of the sale. I believe it is to prevent fraud.
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

Some who posts fake news tried pushing this rumor and its long been debunked.
Just some Scheer Conservative scare tactic among others in the last election and it's a good one.

Read all about it

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/the-co ... -1.5312873
Gone_Fishin
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Gone_Fishin »

Despite the Liberal Broadcasting Corp...err, the CBC's attempt in 2019 cited above to squash the concern raised by the Conservatives over Trudeau's plan to tax your home, it has now come to light that the Liberals are spending a quarter million dollars to figure out just how they can do it.

Even the Red Star is concerned about Justin Trudeau's plan to sink his claws into your house. Elitists like Justin and Morneau (who has so many houses he can't keep track of his French villas) won't be hurt by the Trudeau Home Tax, but for working families it will be devastating.

A tax on home equity would hurt Canadians during the best of times — but right now it would be reckless

Every so often, an idea comes along that is so out of touch and unfair that it unites pretty much everyone in their disapproval.

Recently, the Canadian Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC) appeared to be doing exactly that when media reports suggested the federal housing agency is researching a new home equity tax on primary residences.

According to reports, CMHC is spending $250,000 in partnership with the University of British Columbia’s School of Population to investigate ways to tax the equity Canadians have gained in their homes.

https://www.thestar.com/business/opinio ... kless.html
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

A smaller government makes room for bigger citizens.

"We know that Russia must win this war." ~ Justin Trudeau, Feb 26, 2024.
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

jimmy4321 wrote:Some who posts fake news tried pushing this rumor and its long been debunked.
Just some Scheer Conservative scare tactic among others in the last election and it's a good one.

Read all about it

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/the-co ... -1.5312873
Maybe you can give us some reassuring news as to why we shouldn't be concerned about a future tax on our home.

And if not, please tell us why the government is tracking the value of our primary residences when they are sold?
I'm posting this from Traditional lands of the British Empire & the current Lands of The Dominion of Canada.
I also give thanks for this ethos richness bestowed on us via British Colonialism.

#StandUpToJewishHate
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

bb49 wrote:
And if not, please tell us why the government is tracking the value of our primary residences when they are sold?
It was to stop all of the fraudulent activity in Toronto and Vancouver. A lot of real estate was getting sold and declared a "primary residence" so no taxes were paid. The government wasn't even tracking these sales and so a lot of these sales were flying under the radar. Now at least they have to be disclosed.

Justin and the Liberals are dumb, but taxing personal residences would be political suicide. Even they aren't that stupid. They have the perfect lever anyway - they just jack up the stupid carbon taxes and the idiots who think this is "doing something" to combat fairy tales clap in unison.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

Have you not heard, Trudeau said this year you don't have to pay. Why, because we are asking for too much!!

I'm not paying....
Gone_Fishin
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Gone_Fishin »

Liberal MP tells you all about Justin Trudeau's plans to steal from your retriement.
The NEW Trudeau Liberal Tax on Your House

The Trudeau Liberal Government is looking at a new way to stick it's hands in your pockets. Though they deny it - there are allegations that they are looking at taxing capital gains when you decide to sell your primary residence. Maybe this is how Justin Trudeau plans on paying for all the COVID-19 spending? Stephen LeDrew sits down with Former Liberal MP Dan McTeague to discuss how this might look. This is your LeDrew Three Minute Interview.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

A smaller government makes room for bigger citizens.

"We know that Russia must win this war." ~ Justin Trudeau, Feb 26, 2024.

Return to “Canada”