19%
Sometimes
19%

Total votes: 37

hobbyguy
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Majority of Canadians feeling politically homeless

Post by hobbyguy »

There are currently 7 active registered parties in Canada. PPC, Maverick, Green, NDP, Liberal, Bloc, Conservative.

3 are currently small or new parties with minimal impact, but each has a unique viewpoint.

In looking at the parties, there is a wide range of potential viewpoints to call "home" - if that is what a person wants. For some people, some of the parties will have exclusionary positions. For most people no party will completely match up with their views.

E.g. if a hypothetical person wants robust climate change/environmental plans, robust social programs, is pro-choice, part of the gun enthusiast crowd, wants corporation to pay their fair share and wants limited immigration - where to go?

So it becomes a matter of a person choosing what is most important to them, what policies disqualify any of the parties, and which parties cater to their most important political wants at that time. In almost all cases folks make choices that include, from their perspective, some bad with the good.

None of that means that said choice at the time is a "political home". A political home implies a partisan loyalty, and most Canadians simply do not wish to have a partisan loyalty and prefer to remain independent. That has plus and minus factors to it. A plus is that wishing to remain independent works against partisan politics (which can have toxic results). A minus is lower political engagement (and lower voter turnout).

No matter what, about 1/3 of Canadian and US eligible voters simply do not vote. Here we have 7 parties to choose from, so one would guess higher participation than in the US, but the "non voter" percentages are the same.

Interestingly, in both countries there is a correlation between right wing parties being successful and low voter turnout, as the right wing voters tend to be the steadiest and most loyal voters. That is certainly true in Canada, with the right wing parties having the lowest "second choice" party indications and by far the highest "won't vote for anybody else" constituency.

Voter turnout in Canada hit a trough in 2008 at 58.8% and since 2000 the high water mark was 2015 at 68.5%. Quite a ways off from the all time high water marks of the late 1950s early 1960s where voter turnout was 79%+.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

I think people are getting tired of voting for parties or people. There isn't an individual in existence "worthy" of representing the entire country. It's becoming an archaic way to govern.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
oldtrucker
Guru

Post by oldtrucker »

Don't worry about it...it's too late anyway.This upcoming election where jt gets a majority is probably the end of the show- short of a organized armed revolt....people have never been so divided. jt....no middle ground....he is either loved or greatly hated. I'm thinking that maybe the amount of votes for O'toole will surpass what the polls are currently predicting- kinda like the surprise of what happened when some were 'sure' the BC libs were going to win.

This could explain some things...
https://capforcanada.com/is-justin-trud ... sh-canada/
I've heard the theory before from a 94 year old zero tech landline only political activist who recently passed that jt was out to finish what his dad started.... the total undoing of Anglo Canada. I can't recall all of the story but it had something to do with the battle of the Plains of Abraham, bad blood and a long grudge . I dismissed it at the time. Recently I've seen similar theories coming out of multiple sources.
I have no idea who the 'Cultural Action Party of Canada' is. I just found the site and article today when I googled the search term ' is jt out to intentionally destroy english canada?' The more I find on the topic the more the theory and things that are happening make sense. Maybe it just a coincidence and the 94 year old had no idea what they were talking about.
Some may view my politically incorrect opinions as harsh and may be offended by them. Some think political correctness will be our undoing.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

oldtrucker wrote:Don't worry about it...it's too late anyway.This upcoming election where jt gets a majority is probably the end of the show- short of a organized armed revolt.
Sadly, I think your call about JT is correct. He is following the same trajectory as Pierre. Win big, lose his majority, win a majority (we are here), then lose to a Conservative minority, do all he can to undermine that CPC minority and con the NDP into joining in on a non-confidence vote, then win one last time, travel the world on the taxpayers' dime, and then retire. Along the way, Sophie will finally take a powder like Margaret did (but hopefully not take powder like Margaret did) and leave Justin alone in the cottage, though it sounds like he's already alone in the there already. So we are probably stuck with old Justin for a least another decade, while the voters continue to grow more and more despondent.

All bets are off though if Ben Mulroney suddenly appears on the Canadian political scene and is the great Liberal slayer like his dad was.
Justin Trudeau- racist, elitist, liar. What a sick piece of garbage.

"Mr. Trudeau, you are a disgrace to any democracy. Please spare us your presence" - European Union addressing the sad sack of **** that is currently our PM.
oldtrucker
Guru

Post by oldtrucker »

https://www.elections.ca/content.aspx?s ... dex&lang=e
^^^There is the list of the registered parties.
Whoever the 'cultural action party is claiming to be looks bogus.They claim to be registered but they are not.
There are a few so called 'white nationalist' and a few other self proclaimed 'political parties' that have popped up in the recent past. Doesn't count for anything unless they are registered with EC

And to expand on this childcare topic that was talked about earlier in this thread.....Why are we enabling more mating by paying people child tax credits on a grossly overpopulated planet?
Some may view my politically incorrect opinions as harsh and may be offended by them. Some think political correctness will be our undoing.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

oldtrucker wrote:
And to expand on this childcare topic that was talked about earlier in this thread.....Why are we enabling more mating by paying people child tax credits on a grossly overpopulated planet?
Cuz the Canada Child Benefit is a really easy way to buy votes for the Liberals. This has been going on for the entire history of this country.

"Mr. Trudeau, you are a disgrace to any democracy. Please spare us your presence" - European Union addressing the sad sack of **** that is currently our PM.
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

The planet might be overpopulated, but Canada needs more workers if we are to support our aging population, and maintain our economy.

So, we can either increase immigration, or increase our birthrate. In the short term it will have to be the former, but persuading Canadians to have more children is the best long term solution.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
Hurtlander
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Hurtlander »

The only thing worse than being politically homeless would be to feel right at home belonging to an incompetent, corrupt, ethically challenged government .
Keep on Truckin
rustled
Buddha of the Board

Post by rustled »

Merry wrote:The planet might be overpopulated, but Canada needs more workers if we are to support our aging population, and maintain our economy.

So, we can either increase immigration, or increase our birthrate. In the short term it will have to be the former, but persuading Canadians to have more children is the best long term solution.
OMG, no!

In a civilized society that genuinely wants the best for each other, people should only have children because they've thought long and hard about the commitment involved and understand their responsibilities.

Enough children are born every year to people who haven't given enough thought about whether or not the long-term commitment to parenthood is a good choice for them, whether they're cut out to meet the needs of a child or not.

No civilized, rational society would embark on persuading Canadians to have more children to maintain the economy!

The whole point of progress is to reduce the amount of work everyone has to do for the entire community to thrive. The struggle right now is between consumerism to serve profiteers - the driver of innovation, with unfortunate consequences - and forcing everyone to do what's required to suit a collective outcomes - the death of innovation, with even greater unfortunate consequences.

The problems inherent in our current consumerist society arise from selling people on "needing" more "stuff" than we actually need. The solution for that is NOT to "sell" Canadians on "needing" more children, too.

I would never support any party's attempt to use financial incentives to persuade Canadians to have more children. We're not livestock. Children are not widgets.
Ideology...gives evil-doing its long-sought justification and gives the evildoer the necessary steadfastness and determination...[it] is the social theory which helps to make his actions seem good instead of bad in his own and others' eyes...
-Solzhenitsyn
rustled
Buddha of the Board

Post by rustled »

Hurtlander wrote:The only thing worse than being politically homeless would be to feel right at home belonging to an incompetent, corrupt, ethically challenged government .
:up: :up:
Ideology...gives evil-doing its long-sought justification and gives the evildoer the necessary steadfastness and determination...[it] is the social theory which helps to make his actions seem good instead of bad in his own and others' eyes...
-Solzhenitsyn
GordonH
Grumpy Old Bleep

Post by GordonH »

For myself biggest issue is many of political party leaders are terrible or down right idiot.

Leadership votes shouldn’t be to find bottom of the barrel candidate, instead best person to lead a country or province.

I’ve said this many times, those who would make very good leaders are not foolish enough to want the job.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
birdsarentreal.com
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

GordonH wrote:I’ve said this many times, those who would make very good leaders are not foolish enough to want the job.
I think part of the problem is the impossibly high standard our MSM has set for such people.

Politicians are human beings who, like all human beings, have probably done or said something at some time in their lives that they’re not particularly proud of. Yet the MSM will ferret it out and make it public, even if it’s something you did 40 years ago when you were a teenager.

Can ANY of us honestly say our lives have been so pristine that it would stand up to THAT kind of close scrutiny? I doubt it.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

In reply to rustled’s comments about Canadians having children, I never intended my remarks to suggest that folks who don’t WANT children should be encouraged to have them.

However, for those who DO want children but feel they can’t afford to have any, or for those who would like a larger family but can’t afford to do so, it is in Canada’s long term economic interest to help such people. Because, if we don’t find a way to replace our aging workforce, we face economic stagnation.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Merry wrote:
Can ANY of us honestly say our lives have been so pristine that it would stand up to THAT kind of close scrutiny? I doubt it.
I don't think anyone can say this Merry, especially in the highly charged environment that exists today. The only thing protecting those with especially sketchy pasts like our current PM is that he is the darling of the Left, and so those who attack anyone and hound them into resigning for such trangressions as running around in black face somehow find it ok to forgive such massive stupidity, lack of judgement, and blatant racism. Weird how that works eh?

Meanwhile, we have people going on about Robert Borden, while the clown they love publicly supports gay-hating communist Cuban dictators. Can you believe a world like that??

So honestly, you don't have to be that clean, you just have to be on the right side of the political spectrum it seems. Otherwise you can't even be photographed wearing a hat without half-wits losing their pea brains.

erinmore3775
Übergod

Post by erinmore3775 »

Yes, the majority of Canadians are undecided or politically homeless. Most of these "homeless" are middle-class Canadians who have a home with two working adults and children. These Canadians have felt the housing squeeze and the tax squeeze and are looking for a government that will offer them and their children a good future. Their principal concerns are:

- a clean and safe environment with an emphasis on "green" energy and technology development.
- a health care system that is robust and offers care to those of all ages (including seniors in care homes)
- a Pharmacare system
- a child care system that is affordable and allows both parents to work
- a tax system that means that ALL pay their fair share

These are fairly simple goals, unfortunately, not one political party in Canada is willing to offer a platform that endorses these goals. As a result, the politically homeless will when they vote choose the candidate, which offers the most of what they want and smells the least. Their choices will be swayed by name-calling, bullying ads, and however, their friends are voting that day. At the moment, I am one of the homeless and will wait for the Party platforms to be more fully developed, and right now I am more concerned about getting the vaccine and beating Covid, than any possible election.
"Justice will not come until those who are not injured are as indignant as those who are injured."
- Thucydides, Greek Philosopher

"You make a living by what you get; you make a life by what you give." - Winston Churchill

Return to “Canada”