Cerb Repayment Cannot Be Found By Revenue Canada

kvcc

Cerb Repayment Cannot Be Found By Revenue Canada

Post by kvcc »

Hi,

My wife went on EI at the beginning of covid. 2 weeks later Cerb started.
She went back to work, but the Cerb payments kept coming. She put the payments in a special payback bank account.

As soon as there was a system in place for Cerb repayment at the Credit Union, she went down and paid the $6000.

Now, there is no record of it by CRA or EI. The bank has the transaction, but can't trace where it went when they paid it. This was a system setup by the government specifically for Cerb repayments.

Has anyone here experienced what we are going through?
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Re: Cerb Repayment Cannot Be Found By Revenue Canada

Post by rustled »

I wonder if your MP could help. They may have been approached by others with the same problem? Good luck!
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Apr 10th, 2021, 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off Topic
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
ckil
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by ckil »

Check your CRA online account. There is a repayment account that it might show up in.

This site is very useful so if you have not set it up I recommend you do.
MalaPropina
Board Meister

Post by MalaPropina »

Contact the office of the Receiver General of Canada. That's where all payments to federal government agencies go through.
Boosted632
Banned

Post by Boosted632 »

Tell your bank to deal with it sounds like their problem not yours
I wouldn't Have to manage my anger if people could learn to manage their STUPIDITY
Gone_Fishin
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Gone_Fishin »

I'd ask the Kielburgers if they've seen it.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

A smaller government makes room for bigger citizens.

"We know that Russia must win this war." ~ Justin Trudeau, Feb 26, 2024.
Purity
Board Meister

Post by Purity »

kvcc wrote:Hi,

My wife went on EI at the beginning of covid. 2 weeks later Cerb started.
She went back to work, but the Cerb payments kept coming. She put the payments in a special payback bank account.

As soon as there was a system in place for Cerb repayment at the Credit Union, she went down and paid the $6000.

Now, there is no record of it by CRA or EI. The bank has the transaction, but can't trace where it went when they paid it. This was a system setup by the government specifically for Cerb repayments.

Has anyone here experienced what we are going through?
Checkout the "WE" program. They are *having problems finding where the money disappeared?
Last edited by Catsumi on Apr 12th, 2021, 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: *edit spell and syntax
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

bumped up

Some of those who received CERB may get a surprise in the mail or email notice to check their account.

https://www.castanet.net/news/Business/ ... ion-of-aid
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

This is interesting:
The government now says there are still recipients who owe some or all of the $2,000, specifically those who were not entitled to the aid or didn't collect CERB for at least 20 weeks.
People who were able to find work before the 20 weeks were up have to pay some of it back. That will come across as a penalty for those who found work.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
zookeeper
Walks on Forum Water

Post by zookeeper »

rustled wrote: Nov 26th, 2021, 7:06 am This is interesting:
The government now says there are still recipients who owe some or all of the $2,000, specifically those who were not entitled to the aid or didn't collect CERB for at least 20 weeks.
People who were able to find work before the 20 weeks were up have to pay some of it back. That will come across as a penalty for those who found work.
Fishy more than interesting, probably because these are the people they can find, the word garnish comes to mind.
Sparki55
Guru

Post by Sparki55 »

We received this notice. Funny part is, they have the amount wrong that we owe them. See they want the entire $2000 back, but we paid taxes on it. So we actually owe them around $1,500. Called them and they said that's not how it works, that we need to repay them the $2,000 in full and come tax time we can "figure it out".

So I asked where I can send the $1,500 and they said no it needs to be the full amount or nothing. Alright then, best part is there is no penalty for not paying. :admin:
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Sparki55 wrote: Nov 26th, 2021, 7:46 am We received this notice. Funny part is, they have the amount wrong that we owe them. See they want the entire $2000 back, but we paid taxes on it. So we actually owe them around $1,500. Called them and they said that's not how it works, that we need to repay them the $2,000 in full and come tax time we can "figure it out".

So I asked where I can send the $1,500 and they said no it needs to be the full amount or nothing. Alright then, best part is there is no penalty for not paying. :admin:
No penalty yet, government tends to change rules whenever they want.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

I'll be watching this with interest, I know of some people on government assistance who were happy to collect CERB payments even though the pandemic had no direct effect on their situation, their circumstances remained the same throughout. The CERB payments to them was free money and more often than not went to things like a new TV or an upwardly adjusted partying schedule. The initial impact of the pandemic led to a lot of people losing their jobs quickly and unexpectedly, and the relief cheques were trotted out quickly to meet an immediate need, in retrospect perhaps without sufficient forethought. I can see a lot of crying coming up if people on social assistance get a big fat bill. especially with what's going on in the grocery stores these days.
Last edited by fluffy on Nov 26th, 2021, 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Sparki55 wrote: Nov 26th, 2021, 7:46 am We received this notice. Funny part is, they have the amount wrong that we owe them. See they want the entire $2000 back, but we paid taxes on it. So we actually owe them around $1,500. Called them and they said that's not how it works, that we need to repay them the $2,000 in full and come tax time we can "figure it out".
I haven't seen anything in my mailbox yet but there is a possibility, I felt they were being generous during the short time I was out of work in the spring of 2020. I had asked the government about possible repayment back then and was told it would be sorted out at tax time spring of 2021, and that came and went with no request for repayment. I was told that it would appear on my T4E as a "Repayment Rate" which turned out to be 0%. I guess I'll find out soon enough.

Edited to add: I looked at my CRA online account and no mention of anything there. Here's hoping.
Last edited by fluffy on Nov 26th, 2021, 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut

Return to “Canada”