CRA Online Access

my5cents
Guru

CRA Online Access

Post by my5cents »

I've had online access to Service Canada for over 7 years. (I guess I should say "off and on")

It's always been a pain to access the account and to navigate through the account. You click one a button and are told you are leaving the site for another.

Seems the easiest section to get into is Employment Insurance, there always seems to be a button to get to there on every page. Haven't placed an EI claim for, ah,,, coming up to 50 years. Too bad seems that's an easy area to get to.

Got an email today that "my address" with CRA has been changed. I've just filed by 2020 taxes and have used a different accountant, but that shouldn't change "my address", I wouldn't think.

Anyway, pretty simple, right ? The email says "You can view the address on the Personal profile page in My Account to ensure it is correct".

Easy peasy, right ?

After a half an hour I couldn't even find "My Account". I was all over the place so many rabbit holes I can't relate them all. I'm fairly web site savey.

Lots of security. When I signed in with my "GCKey" I was asked if I wanted to add at this time verification by way of SMS Messaging, and two others. All I wanted to do was to see my address and make sure it was correct. But when I declined I was informed that some "secure areas" (aren't they all supposed to be secure, this is my Income Tax !) I must that the extra sign in security.

As for my address,,, I'm assuming they mean my "mailing" or "residential" address, since my email address was correct, they did send me the email, right ?

The government was so particular with security and so vague on what "your address" is.

What's so important with my "residential" or "mailing" address ? I do everything online with them anyway.

After a half hour never could find "My Account" information, could edit my personal verification questions, I found that.

My bank will ask me to answer a verification question when I've signed into my account from a different location. CRA, nope, every time they asked my three questions even though I was accessing from my normal location.

So, you have a user name, you input a password, they ask you three security questions and then they want to send a code to your phone that you enter to get into your account ? But they don't have the wherewithal to call "your address" "residential" or "mailing" or "email" ?????

What a cumbersome awkward system. What we would call "Typical Government"

Never did find out if my address was changed, gave up.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Re: CRA Online Access

Post by oneh2obabe »

my5cents wrote:What a cumbersome awkward system. What we would call "Typical Government"

No, it's not a cumbersome awkward system. You sign in from the main CRA page ... option 2 - Using a CRA user ID and password is the one most use but they've added option 3 - Using a BC Services Card.
https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency ... duals.html

Once you sign in you'll see your name in big, bold letters with personal profile under it - see screenshot below. Click on personal profile and you'll see your current address, phone number, e-mail address, direct deposit info, etc. plus on the right hand side you'll see Authorized Representative(s) - could be your new accountant added themselves as a representative and changed your address to their business address. You can delete them if you wish.
CRA.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Re: CRA Online Access

Post by Urban Cowboy »

oneh2obabe wrote:
my5cents wrote:What a cumbersome awkward system. What we would call "Typical Government"

No, it's not a cumbersome awkward system. You sign in from the main CRA page ... option 2 - Using a CRA user ID and password is the one most use but they've added option 3 - Using a BC Services Card.
https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency ... duals.html

Once you sign in you'll see your name in big, bold letters with personal profile under it - see screenshot below. Click on personal profile and you'll see your current address, phone number, e-mail address, direct deposit info, etc. plus on the right hand side you'll see Authorized Representative(s) - could be your new accountant added themselves as a representative and changed your address to their business address. You can delete them if you wish.
CRA.png
I opted for signing in using my bank and have never had an issue. :135:

I did find the GCKey method to be a pain so switched to the using a sign in partner option and selected my bank.
“We isolate now so when we gather again, no one is missing" - Unknown

Return to “Canada”