Graves at Residential schools

BC Landlord
Guru

Re: Remains of 215 youth found

Post by BC Landlord »

Gilchy wrote: May 29th, 2021, 7:10 am Digging your heels in to defend residential schools is a pretty revealing move there, buddy.
"Revealing", of what? That I don't feel any guilt for that? You bet, .. I don't. And btw, those people who manipulate natives into perpetual victimhood are doing them a terrible disservice. Instead of using their own judgement for their own betterment, they are accepting being colonized over again, this time by shrewd politicians and SJ activists. Sad!
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by Silverstarqueen »

BC Landlord wrote: May 29th, 2021, 7:50 am
Gilchy wrote: May 29th, 2021, 7:10 am Digging your heels in to defend residential schools is a pretty revealing move there, buddy.
"Revealing", of what? That I don't feel any guilt for that? You bet, .. I don't. And btw, those people who manipulate natives into perpetual victimhood are doing them a terrible disservice. Instead of using their own judgement for their own betterment, they are accepting being colonized over again, this time by shrewd politicians and SJ activists. Sad!
Soon as we stop finding a couple hundred child victims, then First nations won't be reliving their victimhood. Recognizing these gross injustices does not prevent their betterment, but it is necessary to complete the process, not hide the injustices. If over 200 children in some town had died at the hands of some religious group, buried without families or anyone knowing, would we think the solution is to ignore it? Makes no difference if it was 80 years ago or 50 years ago. No we would want that investigated and justice to be brought to whomever might be responsible (or their organization). Would we just "move on" until that justice had been found? These children deserve to be mourned by their families, the families deserve to know what happened to their children.
I ask myself why Catholics don't insist their organization stand up and come clean over what they did in the past? Who could enter a church of worship, knowing the atrocities that were done in the name of that Church? (and it's not just catholics).
No, you don't need to feel guilt, but seems compassion is seriously lacking for those who lost 215 (or who knows how many yet?) children.

Personally, I think evey single Catholic should walk out of their services (as soon as they resume) and serve notice that they are not returning until the Catholic Church atones for these great injustices. And I don't just mean an apology (although that would certainly be a start).
liisgo
Lord of the Board

Post by liisgo »

Silverstarqueen wrote: May 28th, 2021, 3:59 pm
Wave101 wrote: May 28th, 2021, 12:04 pm Lets not jump to conclusions. The early twentieth century was rife will deadly diseases and high child mortality rates. People were often buried at holy sites such as church grounds as well.
Lets wait until we get all the facts before we condemn. It isnt sexy for fun or cool to wait for all the facts these days but it is the right thing to do.
So in which world do 215 children die while at school and are not returned to the family for a proper burial?
Within which churches are children buried separately from their families?
Outside of what your very obvious quest is here, do you actually have knowledge of this worlds horrible wrong doings?
"what children are not returned in this world to find proper burial????"
Maybe read up on genocides around the world to find the answer.
Please do not try to create ignorance through out this society by deleting out my own family history and the genocide of those millions of children.
Lets talk about the issue, as horrible as it is with out the smearing of the usual propaganda campaign tatics.
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by stuphoto »

This story says 51 deaths were recorded there.
https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/ne ... al-schools
So either someone was very lazy or covering something up.
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by Silverstarqueen »

liisgo wrote: May 29th, 2021, 8:37 am
Silverstarqueen wrote: May 28th, 2021, 3:59 pm So in which world do 215 children die while at school and are not returned to the family for a proper burial?
Within which churches are children buried separately from their families?
Outside of what your very obvious quest is here, do you actually have knowledge of this worlds horrible wrong doings?
Please do not try to create ignorance through out this society by deleting out my own family history and the genocide of those millions of children.
Lets talk about the issue, as horrible as it is with out the smearing of the usual propaganda campaign tatics.
Yes, there have been other genocides, they do not justify this particular wrong or make it acceptable which is the topic of this thread. It was wrong what was done in this case, and it was always wrong anywhere else. Obviously some want to downplay what happened to these children. No one deleted your family's history, we weren't even discussing it. Would you like to tack your injustices on to this one, or start another thread for it. Then we can discuss that too.
Propaganda campaign tactics? Is that what you would call it? Because I call it an outrage what was done to these children.
DebSS
Fledgling

Post by DebSS »

All of the above aside....I know the families would like their children back for private burial. My way of looking at it, is this should be forever remembered in another way. As one of the First Nation in Kamloops said - the need to take down the school. Yes, take it down, DNA the remains and identify as many as possible. Then turn that whole area into a cemetery with crosses and headstones, ages and names if known. Make it a memorial for people to pay respects to. That way when someone sees 215 crosses it will be held in the memory instead of a cairn. My 2 cents. If only those responsible could be held accountable. 51 registered deaths, something is wrong when there is 215, plus more in other graves not yet searched. Sept 30 is now a day of remembrance. I find this incredibly sickening that these children were taken from their families and buried with such disregard of human life.
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by stuphoto »

If the First Nations want the building ripped down I support their decision.
At the same time, if they wish to keep it I still support their decision.
It should be their choice, not ours.
liisgo
Lord of the Board

Post by liisgo »

Silverstarqueen wrote: May 29th, 2021, 9:36 am
liisgo wrote: May 29th, 2021, 8:37 am
Yes, there have been other genocides, they do not justify this particular wrong or make it acceptable which is the topic of this thread. It was wrong what was done in this case, and it was always wrong anywhere else. Obviously some want to downplay what happened to these children. No one deleted your family's history, we weren't even discussing it. Would you like to tack your injustices on to this one, or start another thread for it. Then we can discuss that too.
Propaganda campaign tactics? Is that what you would call it? Because I call it an outrage what was done to these children.
You stated" So in which world do 215 children die while at school and are not returned to the family for a proper burial?"
I simply corrected you. It has happened many times that are actually recorded and factual, through out world Genocides.
Yes, there is a topic here, so lets stick to that.
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by stuphoto »

I wonder what the First Nations traditional grave markers were.
IMO that is what they should use.
Like Old Trucker hinted,
The Cross is a symbol for the culture that caused this and doesn't belong there.
However I believe headstones are a European symbol and also don't belong there.
DebSS
Fledgling

Post by DebSS »

It was a generalization, crosses have been used for hundreds of years. Use whatever they want for a symbol. I am just saying it should be a memorial for the atrocity that happened so no one forgets. I googled and they actually use granite markers for headstones with native art, like the raven and whales.
6b266633d266183ec73e39a4f7ccdb14.jpg
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

*I have moved this thread to Kamloops so it's easier to find, we will allow discussion of other schools though.*
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

I'm at a loss for words with this recent finding.
What is left to say other than a tragic loss of young lives.

My only hope is that it isn't politicalized.
I'm posting this from Traditional lands of the British Empire & the current Lands of The Dominion of Canada.
I also give thanks for this ethos richness bestowed on us via British Colonialism.

#StandUpToJewishHate
Mark5
Board Meister

Post by Mark5 »

Wave101 wrote: May 28th, 2021, 12:04 pm Lets not jump to conclusions. The early twentieth century was rife will deadly diseases and high child mortality rates. People were often buried at holy sites such as church grounds as well.
Lets wait until we get all the facts before we condemn. It isnt sexy for fun or cool to wait for all the facts these days but it is the right thing to do.
I agree. Tuberculosis was an epidemic in that area starting in the early 1900`s. It was so bad they built Tranquille Sanatorium to try and treat people. These are probably victims of that disease and so were hurriedly buried to stop the spread of infection. Many people are jumping to conclusions. In Kelowna there is a part of cemetery devoted exclusively to children. The mass grave part is troubling but understandable in this light.
Mark5
Board Meister

Post by Mark5 »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on May 29th, 2021, 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off Topic
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

CNN has picked up the story.

'Unthinkable' discovery in Canada as remains of 215 children found buried near residential school

https://www.cnn.com/2021/05/28/world/ch ... aaec6Z42Lw
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein

Return to “Canada”