Edmonton Police Association under fire for controversial flag

fluffy
Buddha of the Board

Re: Edmonton Police fly "hurtful" flag...

Post by fluffy »

Even Steven wrote: May 30th, 2021, 9:20 amThis is a Thin Blue Line flag. They use them in the US extensively.
The US, the home of in-your-face politics. Is that what we want in Canada ? The Edmonton Police Association has other options, hijacking a national symbol to their own cause is more than a little presumptive.
Never miss a good chance to shut up.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

fluffy wrote: May 30th, 2021, 9:31 am The US, the home of in-your-face politics. Is that what we want in Canada ?
Personally, I don't care. Police have always been a national symbol, cause they're part of the nation's wellbeing. And it's not new either, it's been around since the '70s.

I think it's just lately the symbol has been very politized.
fluffy
Buddha of the Board

Post by fluffy »

Even Steven wrote: May 30th, 2021, 9:34 amI think it's just lately the symbol has been very politized.
Agreed. That would indicate that the Edmonton Police Association is taking a political stand, all the more reason to leave our national symbol out of it.

The Edmonton Police Association is basically a bargaining unit for members of the Edmonton Police Service. I'm not arguing that they're not Canadians with all the rights and privileges that entails, but I am arguing that their use of the Canadian flag in this case is inappropriate based on the simple idea that it implies wider support that arguably may not exist.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

fluffy wrote: May 30th, 2021, 9:42 am I am arguing that their use of the Canadian flag in this case is inappropriate based on the simple idea that it implies wider support that arguably may not exist.
Maybe they're not saying they have the support of the entire nation, but they (police) protect the entire nation, no matter what views people might hold?
Ken7
Guru

Re: Edmonton Police Association under fire for controversial flag

Post by Ken7 »

fluffy wrote: May 30th, 2021, 9:26 am

They don't. But in my little world their use of the Canadian flag as a symbol pertaining to just themselves crosses a line. They have a flag of their own, why not use it ? Using the Canadian flag as a back-drop implies the support of all Canadians and that's not something you get to just assume.

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=ht ... egUIARC6AQ
I used to be on that side, although the Canadian Flag has lost it's meaning. The flag should be changed because to many it's all about "ME".

We don't hear others complaining when we see our indiginous brothers change the flag, why can these individuals not show their pride??
Last edited by Ken7 on May 30th, 2021, 10:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
fluffy
Buddha of the Board

Post by fluffy »

Even Steven wrote: May 30th, 2021, 9:50 amMaybe they're not saying they have the support of the entire nation, but they (police) protect the entire nation, no matter what views people might hold?
"Maybe" doesn't quite cut it. They have used a national symbol for a (relatively) small group. They have a flag of their own, why would they not use that ?

Return to “Canada”