Election issues

Alien Head Dude
Walks on Forum Water

Election issues

Post by Alien Head Dude »

What are the top election issues for most Canadians? Is it turfing the haughty Liberal government to be replaced by a leader and party with its own ton of baggage? Is it to punish Trudeau for calling this self-serving exercise in the middle of a pandemic (he would deserve it and it looks like it might come to be)? Or, are there even more pressing issues that concern voters, and will they plug their noses to vote for the government most likely to effectively address the electorate’s key concerns?

We asked Canadians for their election priorities. Here's their top four

<snip>

Out of the 13 key issues tested in an online survey of 2005 Canadians, we learned that the top four are: the cost of living (13.5 per cent), increasing funding for health care (11.5 per cent), post-pandemic economic recovery (10.9 per cent), and managing the pandemic (10.1 per cent). Almost without exception, these topics top the chart regardless of age, gender and region.

The second tier of issues are: taxation (8.5 per cent), housing affordability (8.4 per cent), climate (8.2 per cent), reducing poverty (7.7 per cent), and reducing government debt and deficit (6.7 per cent). In the third tier we see pharmacare (6.0 per cent), Indigenous reconciliation (3.7 per cent), childcare (2.7 per cent) and immigration (2.2 per cent).

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/o ... li=AAggNb9
The hard-right Cons on this board don't like anyone referencing the findings from the research
into conservative "thinking", but they sure do enjoy providing us with plenty of evidence for it.
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Election issues

Post by Merry »

Ka-El wrote: Sep 3rd, 2021, 8:16 am What are the top election issues for most Canadians? top the chart regardless of age, gender and region.
I think that AFTER THE ELECTION IS OVER the rapidly increasing cost of living (aka INFLATION) is going to become a major issue for all Canadians, of every political stripe. But I don’t think we’re at that point yet, so think it’s unlikely to influence the way most people vote in this election.

For many, the weaknesses the Pandemic exposed in our health care system may be an issue that will influence their vote. For example, WHY does Canada have fewer acute care beds available per hundred thousand people than most of our G7 counterparts? And WHY was the mortality rate in our long term care homes higher than in the long term care homes of most other Western nations?

I’m hoping that these questions will be addressed during this election, with possible solutions. So far, the Liberals have made noises about “national standards”in LTC homes, but no mention of what they would entail, or how they would get the Provinces to agree. The NDP has discussed outlawing private health care, but again no details on how they would ensure Public Health care would pick up the slack. For example, if every privately owned care home in Canada was shut down tomorrow, where would all the residents go until Public homes were created as replacements? Or, if all the Private homes were nationalized, how much would taxpayers have to pay out in compensation to the original owners and shareholders? How big of a tax increase would be necessary to cover the wages and benefits of all the new staff on the public payroll? The Conservatives are proposing measures that would help seniors remain in their own homes, and hopefully avoid LTC homes altogether.

The following article outlines the various Party positions on health care
https://www.healthing.ca/policy/electio ... -platforms
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
Alien Head Dude
Walks on Forum Water

Merry wrote:
Ka-El wrote: What are the top election issues for most Canadians? top the chart regardless of age, gender and region.
I think that AFTER THE ELECTION IS OVER the rapidly increasing cost of living (aka INFLATION) is going to become a major issue for all Canadians, of every political stripe. But I don’t think we’re at that point yet, so think it’s unlikely to influence the way most people vote in this election.
I think you could be right although the rising cost of living is getting a bit more play on the media right now, and the polling did place cost of living at the top of Canadian’s concerns. As Michael Campbell reported on Global last night there are two major reasons for the rise in cost in our food. The first is climate change and droughts across western Canada and the US that has resulted in poor crops (less supply = higher demand – and cost). The second are all the logistical challenges that have come with COVID restrictions. This makes addressing our rising cost of living dependent on effectively addressing climate change and defeating or managing COVID. All three of these issues are inexorably linked.
Merry wrote: The Conservatives are proposing measures that would help seniors remain in their own homes, and hopefully avoid LTC homes altogether.
This makes great sense and is an idea I have supported for some time. I think we need to be careful though and look at the failure in implementing a similar policy with mental health patients where they shut down institutions with the idea they would move these patients into community group homes with life skills workers. This was a great idea in my opinion. Unfortunately, no one followed through with creating group home spaces after shutting down these institutions and many of these people have ended up on the streets or in jail. That being said, I would 100% support measures that would help seniors remain in their own homes, and hopefully avoid LTC homes altogether.
The hard-right Cons on this board don't like anyone referencing the findings from the research
into conservative "thinking", but they sure do enjoy providing us with plenty of evidence for it.
foenix
Guru

Post by foenix »

Here's a better look n a chart form. It's interesting to note that the CPC supporters are exactly who we all thought they were despite O'Toole ting to change their image just for this campaign.
AAO3PH9.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Alien Head Dude
Walks on Forum Water

foenix wrote: It's interesting to note that the CPC supporters are exactly who we all thought they were despite O'Toole ting to change their image just for this campaign.
That’s the problem with O’Toole. He seems to be saying most of the right things, but do people really believe the Conservatives have suddenly become a centrist party? Do we really have any reason to believe they wouldn’t meet their promise of “growing the economy” using the same old failed strategies of their past? O’Toole seems like a very nice guy, possibly even quite competent (as compared to his predecessor) but we don’t see him being supported so much by his party members who often seem to contradict what he is saying. Is he really the leader of the Party? At the same time though, Trudeau’s actions are often a contradiction to what he says himself. Despite’s Trudeau’s multiple ethical gaffes, I think many voters are not going to assume any moral high ground for the Conservatives (past behavior being the best predictor of future behavior) and would be better served by supporting a party that won’t address the challenges we face today with the same sort of thinking that helped cause them in the first place.
foenix
Guru

Post by foenix »

Ka-El wrote: Sep 3rd, 2021, 1:25 pm
foenix wrote: It's interesting to note that the CPC supporters are exactly who we all thought they were despite O'Toole ting to change their image just for this campaign.
That’s the problem with O’Toole. He seems to be saying most of the right things, but do people really believe the Conservatives have suddenly become a centrist party? Do we really have any reason to believe they wouldn’t meet their promise of “growing the economy” using the same old failed strategies of their past? O’Toole seems like a very nice guy, possibly even quite competent (as compared to his predecessor) but we don’t see him being supported so much by his party members who often seem to contradict what he is saying. Is he really the leader of the Party? At the same time though, Trudeau’s actions are often a contradiction to what he says himself. Despite’s Trudeau’s multiple ethical gaffes, I think many voters are not going to assume any moral high ground for the Conservatives (past behavior being the best predictor of future behavior) and would be better served by supporting a party that won’t address the challenges we face today with the same sort of thinking that helped cause them in the first place.
Yup, you only have to look at the CPC supporters key issues that concerns them to see that if O'Toole does win, there will be an accounting with his supporters and it will be 4 more years of the same old philosophy of cut taxes, cut social programs, decrease abortion access, et etc.........same ole same ole.
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

foenix wrote: Sep 3rd, 2021, 1:00 pm It's interesting to note that the CPC supporters are exactly who we all thought they were despite O'Toole ting to change their image just for this campaign.
I'm tired of being branded as a certain undesirable type of human being, just because I intend to vote Conservative this time around.

If you want to continue to support a proven liar, who cares more about his own self image than he does about Canada and Canadians, that is your right. But please stop trying to lump all those of us who are ready to vote to get rid of that creep under the same umbrella.

I have voted for each of the three parties over the years. Each time my decision was based on which platform I felt was best for Canada, and Canadians, at that particular point in time. When I was younger my interests and points of view were not the same as they are now, and as the years passed my perspectives changed with them.

Now I'm a senior, with the benefit of hindsight regarding previous failed and/or broken promises from politicians of all stripes. Like Ka-El I've seen good ideas turn to ashes because the necessary follow ups were not completed. And I've seen repeated promises from political parties that have NEVER been kept (the Liberal's Pharmacare promise being one). I've also seen the devastating consequences of running up debt like there's no tomorrow (as Trudeau senior did), and know that while some debt is acceptable, particularly in an emergency situation, when times are good Governments should attempt to get their financial house in order. Because when they don't, it eventually becomes so difficult for Governments to borrow at reasonable rates that they have no choice but to instigate drastic measures to bring the debt down. And ordinary people suffer because of that, in the form of drastic reductions to Government services, and tax increases.

Erin O'Toole is the ONLY candidate promising to work towards reducing the deficit, albeit slowly, in order to try to bring the books back into balance in 10 years. And he's got a lot of common sense ideas when it comes to things like helping seniors avoid long term care, increasing federal payments for health care in general, helping parents pay for child care, increasing employment by offering financial incentives to companies for new hires, offering low interest partly forgivable loans to struggling tourist businesses, and addressing the housing affordability issue by banning all foreign investors from buying homes here for at least a 2 year period.

Those are just a few of the common sense ideas Mr. O'Toole is proposing, and I can see value in every single one of them.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
foenix
Guru

Post by foenix »

Here's another article that highlights O'Toole's lying ways and will saying anything anytime to pander for those votes. Does Canadians or the CPC know who the real true blue Erin O'Toole is?

John Ivison: Erin O'Toole's promises may be a matter of expediency in this election
There was, however, one Liberal attack that was grounded in reality and it speaks to O’Toole’s character. Rachel Bendayan, who is running for the Liberals in the Montreal riding of Outremont, called the Conservative plan to repeal the Liberal ban on assault weapons “outrageous.”

“Even more outrageous is that O’Toole attempted to deny it in a national debate when it’s in black and white in the Conservative platform,” she said.

And it is. The Conservative platform is clear that the party would repeal C71, the prohibition on assault style firearms.

Yet O’Toole said in the debate, and again during a press conference on Friday, that he would maintain the ban on assault weapons.

“We will maintain the ban on assault weapons. We will also work with police on gang violence and target the illegal smuggling of firearms,” he said at an announcement to make changes to the Criminal Code to make it easier for police to go after gang members..........
*snip*

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/j ... li=AAggFp5

If expedient means LYING, yes he is and is lying big time to the Canadian people.
Last edited by ferri on Sep 3rd, 2021, 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Do not post entire articles - use an excerpt with a link.
hobbyguy
Walks on Forum Water

Post by hobbyguy »

foenix wrote: Sep 3rd, 2021, 1:00 pm Here's a better look n a chart form. It's interesting to note that the CPC supporters are exactly who we all thought they were despite O'Toole ting to change their image just for this campaign.

AAO3PH9.png
Yup, and supporters of each party, their "base" play a big part in how a party operates in government.

We see that in how the CPC base doesn't care as much about managing the pandemic as all other parties, which is why O'Toole is soft on proper public health measures.

We also see a strong link between CPC supporters and lower taxes linked to cost of living and not giving a hoot about reducing poverty. The CPC created the current structural revenue deficit by chopping taxes for the wealthy and corporations. Nothing new there at all.

Short term "what's in it fer me" and "I'm all right Jack, pull up the ladder" shows in the CPC supporter priorities - and pretty much matches the last CPC debacle in government - the current debacle in Alberta with Jason Kenney.

And as usual, the CPC bunch, like the US Republican/Trumpites, are only concerned about deficits when their gang is not in. Just like the US Republicans, the base wants the "starve the beast" tactic followed by "slash and burn the programs" because of the deficit they created.

Nothing changes with that CPC group - and that means O'Toole's pretense at moderation is just nonsense. O'Toole's own MP caucus will vote against him just as they did on "conversion therapy" and "anti-choice". The CPC leopard has not changed its spots, Andrew Scheer is still there grinning like a pretend insurance agent.

Interesting that Bloc supporters have Indigenous reconciliation and Pharmacare as top priorities. And deficits at the bottom of the list, along with housing affordability. Quite different from other party supporters. Just goes to show that all politics is local.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
foenix
Guru

Post by foenix »

Merry wrote: Sep 3rd, 2021, 1:39 pm
foenix wrote: Sep 3rd, 2021, 1:00 pm It's interesting to note that the CPC supporters are exactly who we all thought they were despite O'Toole ting to change their image just for this campaign.
I'm tired of being branded as a certain undesirable type of human being, just because I intend to vote Conservative this time around.
Never said that, I said if you look at what issues are important to the Conservative voters, it's all there in black and white on that chart above. Those issues that are important to them are a snapshot of the party so how come O'Toole is promoting policies that doesn't seem to align with the issues his supporters thinks are more important than the lies O'Toole is peddling to the rest of Canada. O'Toole is already lying his face off even before he gets the job, exactly like how he threw his CPC supporters once he got his CPC leadership role. He doesn't seem that trustworthy to me and if I have to pick a liar over another, I rather pick the one I already know.
Septuagenarian
Übergod

Post by Septuagenarian »

Self removed.
Last edited by Septuagenarian on Sep 5th, 2021, 9:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

Ka-El wrote: Sep 3rd, 2021, 1:25 pm
That’s the problem with O’Toole. He seems to be saying most of the right things, but do people really believe the Conservatives have suddenly become a centrist party?
Yes, because prior to Stephen Harper the Conservatives were always a "just right of centre" Party, and many of the folks who were in the Party back then, are still in the Party now.
Ka-El wrote: Sep 3rd, 2021, 1:25 pm Do we really have any reason to believe they wouldn’t meet their promise of “growing the economy” using the same old failed strategies of their past?
You mean, just like the Trudeau Liberals are pursuing failed old Liberal strategies of the past, like telling lies and using our money to buy votes?

There is practically nothing in the Liberal platform that wasn't in their previous platform. And all of it could have been achieved without calling an election. So WHY, if all this stuff is so important to them, didn't they get most of it done already, or stay in power to see it completed?

You and I both know why. It's because the Liberals are famous for promising the moon during an election campaign, and then failing to deliver.

How many times have they promised Pharmacare, or Day Care? And how often have they broken those promises?
Ka-El wrote: Sep 3rd, 2021, 1:25 pmO’Toole seems like a very nice guy, possibly even quite competent
Yes he does, doesn't he?

Can you honestly say the same about Trudeau?

Trudeau is famous for saying one thing, and doing the complete opposite. Like when he said all women must be believed, but then, when accused of sexual impropriety himself, said "men and women experience things differently".

Or when he claimed to support women in powerful positions, and then accused his two most powerful female ministers of lying and kicked them out of caucus.

Or when he expressed zero tolerance for men accused of sexually harassing female employees, yet refused to ask a candidate accused of such to step down, just because he's running in a "safe" Liberal riding and it's too late to replace him.

I could go on, but I know you're as aware as I am of all Trudeau's many failings.
Ka-El wrote: Sep 3rd, 2021, 1:25 pm Is he [O'Toole] really the leader of the Party?
Yes, he is. And the fact he got elected to that position by an open vote of ALL Party members, indicates he has broad Party support.

It's important to remember that not all Party members get to attend and/or vote at Conventions. Therefore, it's not necessarily the case that the folks who do attend are representative of broad Party opinion.

It's also important to remember, that not all Conservative voters are Party members.

Mr. O'Toole is appealing to the broader community, attempting to regain support from folks who voted Conservative in the past but changed their vote when the Party drifted too far to the right. Now those "just right of centre" voters are once again finding a home with the Conservatives. And it's thanks to Mr. O'Toole.
Ka-El wrote: Sep 3rd, 2021, 1:25 pm At the same time though, Trudeau’s actions are often a contradiction to what he says himself.
You think? LOL
Ka-El wrote: Sep 3rd, 2021, 1:25 pmDespite Trudeau’s multiple ethical gaffes, I think many voters are not going to assume any moral high ground for the Conservatives
ANY Party is going to be on higher moral high ground than the current Liberal Party.

Under Justin Trudeau the Liberals have truly "lost their way", and they''d be well served to dump the guy at the earliest opportunity.
hobbyguy
Walks on Forum Water

Post by hobbyguy »

Merry wrote: Sep 3rd, 2021, 1:39 pm

If you want to continue to support a proven liar, who cares more about his own self image than he does about Canada and Canadians, that is your right. But please stop trying to lump all those of us who are ready to vote to get rid of that creep under the same umbrella.

I have voted for each of the three parties over the years. Each time my decision was based on which platform I felt was best for Canada, and Canadians, at that particular point in time. When I was younger my interests and points of view were not the same as they are now, and as the years passed my perspectives changed with them.

Now I'm a senior, with the benefit of hindsight regarding previous failed and/or broken promises from politicians of all stripes. Like Ka-El I've seen good ideas turn to ashes because the necessary follow ups were not completed. And I've seen repeated promises from political parties that have NEVER been kept (the Liberal's Pharmacare promise being one). I've also seen the devastating consequences of running up debt like there's no tomorrow (as Trudeau senior did), and know that while some debt is acceptable, particularly in an emergency situation, when times are good Governments should attempt to get their financial house in order. Because when they don't, it eventually becomes so difficult for Governments to borrow at reasonable rates that they have no choice but to instigate drastic measures to bring the debt down. And ordinary people suffer because of that, in the form of drastic reductions to Government services, and tax increases.

Erin O'Toole is the ONLY candidate promising to work towards reducing the deficit, albeit slowly, in order to try to bring the books back into balance in 10 years. And he's got a lot of common sense ideas when it comes to things like helping seniors avoid long term care, increasing federal payments for health care in general, helping parents pay for child care, increasing employment by offering financial incentives to companies for new hires, offering low interest partly forgivable loans to struggling tourist businesses, and addressing the housing affordability issue by banning all foreign investors from buying homes here for at least a 2 year period.

Those are just a few of the common sense ideas Mr. O'Toole is proposing, and I can see value in every single one of them.
Actually, with O'Toole and crew, "common sense" is just a euphemism for "simplistic" and "sloganeering".

O'Toole was front and center is creating the structural revenue deficit. You should have watched O'Toole's spokesperson MP ducking and diving when Evan Solomon put him on the spot. Evan said, correctly, that there are two ways to attack a deficit, cut programs, or raise taxes. And the CPC has said they will not raise taxes but cut them with a pile of boutique tax credits. So what programs would a CPC government cut? Duck, dive, weave and put on track shoes - the CPC MP spokesperson ran for the hills!

Complex problems are like housing, health care, seniors independence/care options - none of those can be solved with the simplistic stuff O'Toole blathers on about.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
seewood
Lord of the Board

Post by seewood »

My election issues: get rid of Trudeau #1

Others in no particular order: rescind the liberal firearm prohibitions, at least tweak them somewhat.
Get a plan in place to tackle the ever growing debt.
Reinstate the accountability for FN's bands.
Get politics out of the supply chain for military equipment.
careful with increasing taxes as that diminishes peoples purchasing power.
More effort to find, charge and convict white collar crime.
Stop using my tax dollars to subsidize windy solar projects. If they are so great, they will stand on their own merit.

Some anyway
I am not wealthy but I am rich
Alien Head Dude
Walks on Forum Water

Merry wrote:
Ka-El wrote: Do we really have any reason to believe they wouldn’t meet their promise of “growing the economy” using the same old failed strategies of their past?
You mean, just like the Trudeau Liberals are pursuing failed old Liberal strategies of the past,
Yes, exactly like that. Don’t we have another choice?
Merry wrote: You and I both know why. It's because the Liberals are famous for promising the moon during an election campaign, and then failing to deliver.
Yes we do, but the Liberals don’t have exclusive rights to that.
Merry wrote:
Ka-El post wrote:O’Toole seems like a very nice guy, possibly even quite competent
Yes he does, doesn't he?

Can you honestly say the same about Trudeau?
:135: Huh? I’ve never said the same thing about Trudeau, and I am not supporting him. He is a hypocrite I agree, and it is time to oust him. If I could believe O’Toole would be able to deliver on all of his promises, I might be more inclined to support him, but I’ve been watching the pendulum swing back and forth for decades now and neither of these parties holds any moral high ground. I’m not expecting the NDP to form government, but I will give them my support (third federal election in a row now) as I want as many non-Conservative, non-Liberal MPs in Parliament as possible. I would prefer another minority.

Return to “Canada”