Election issues

Glacier
The Pilgrim

Re: Election issues

Post by Glacier »

foenix wrote: Sep 3rd, 2021, 5:56 pm It is amazing, how one party never got that surplus until it was handed by the previous Liberals, ran 8 straight deficits, had multiple multiple scandals and corruption but somehow it's only the Liberals that stink..... [icon_lol2.gif]

The hypocrisy is off the charts here......
If you seriously think that Trudeau is straightening out Harper's deficits then please send me the drugs you're on because it's a long weekend and a good day to get higher than a kite.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
foenix
Guru

Post by foenix »

Glacier wrote: Sep 3rd, 2021, 6:07 pm
foenix wrote: Sep 3rd, 2021, 5:56 pm It is amazing, how one party never got that surplus until it was handed by the previous Liberals, ran 8 straight deficits, had multiple multiple scandals and corruption but somehow it's only the Liberals that stink..... [icon_lol2.gif]

The hypocrisy is off the charts here......
If you seriously think that Trudeau is straightening out Harper's deficits then please send me the drugs you're on because it's a long weekend and a good day to get higher than a kite.
Point is the "hero" economist ran Canada into the ground as well with twice as many scandals and corruption.....so yeah JT and the Libs are still the lesser of the evils that were in power.
daria
Guru

Post by daria »

^Except Harper isn't running for re-election.

First time Tory voter here. Swinging all the way from the NDP to the Conservatives. Buh bye, JT.
Don't take my silence to mean I've agreed with you; I easily could've just lost interest in explaining how wrong you are.
History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes.
fluffy
Buddha of the Board

Post by fluffy »

hobbyguy wrote: Sep 3rd, 2021, 1:59 pmShort term "what's in it fer me" and "I'm all right Jack, pull up the ladder" shows in the CPC supporter priorities...
I can't shake that feeling either, it's "me" taking priority over "we". The first thing that jumped out of the opening post was that climate change wasn't on the list, even though many polls put it right up there among a lot of voters. It didn't escape my notice that the source material for the list was an article from the National Post, a well respected but right leaning source. In an article dated August 27th of this year the Angus Reid Institute showed a graph of the top issues influencing voters broken down by vote intention. The bar graph shows climate change as the most important issue among Liberal and NDP supporters, while it almost falls off the scale for CPC supporters, the majority of who list taxes as their central issue. "Me" over "we".

https://angusreid.org/federal-election-top-issues/
Never miss a good chance to shut up.
Hurtlander
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Hurtlander »

I really don’t understand how anyone can still get suckered into voting for the Liberals with all their empty election promises, Liberal election promises more often than not go unfulfilled. Anyone with even half a brain should be completely aware that the Liberals keep promising the exact same warn and fuzzy election promises every election cycle, yet when Liberals form government their warm and fuzzy election promises always get put on the back burner... example; Liberals have been promising affordable daycare in one form or another every election cycle for the last 18 years. And let’s not forget that one of the two main reasons that Trudeau won an overwhelming majority in 2015 was because of his promise to introduce election reform, that promise was immediately dropped once Trudeau was in power. Trudeau’s other major election promise in 2015 was to legalize weed, which he did because he himself likes to partake, but overall the legal government weed stores and government regulated grow-ops have been somewhat of a disaster judging by the numbers of grow-ops that have gone out of business... only the Trudeau government could figure out a way to not make money growing weed..
Anyone that wants better governance and a good mix of fiscal and social responsibility, vote Conservatives, and anyone that wants a truly woke progressive government, vote NDP.. The Liberals have been a complete disaster at delivering either fiscal responsibility or progressive programs. The Trudeau Liberals idea of being progressive is to push using whatever pronoun you choose to use on the rest of society, that doesn’t do anything to help the average Canadian.
Keep on Truckin
oldtrucker
Guru

Post by oldtrucker »

daria wrote: Sep 4th, 2021, 5:47 am ^Except Harper isn't running for re-election.

First time Tory voter here. Swinging all the way from the NDP to the Conservatives. Buh bye, JT.
Your not alone. I'm surprised at how many females are fed up with 'peoplekind' etc etc...A lot of people thought it would be just males that can't stand it.
Some may view my politically incorrect opinions as harsh and may be offended by them. Some think political correctness will be our undoing.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

oldtrucker wrote: Sep 4th, 2021, 8:20 am
Your not alone. I'm surprised at how many females are fed up with 'peoplekind' etc etc...A lot of people thought it would be just males that can't stand it.
You would think that the last straw for female voters was Justin refusing to ask the serial abuser Saini to step down. What a slap in the face to women everywhere, and talk about hypocrisy for someone claiming to be a "male feminist".
Justin Trudeau- racist, elitist, liar. What a sick piece of garbage.

"Mr. Trudeau, you are a disgrace to any democracy. Please spare us your presence" - European Union addressing the sad sack of **** that is currently our PM.
oldtrucker
Guru

Post by oldtrucker »

Housing affordability is one of the main election issues.
You can NOT add 1.2 million people to Canada over 4 years ...or 14 years without effecting supply and price.
Any party that has a 'housing plan' other than stopping mass immigration has no plan.
Yes....I'm right. No matter how politically incorrect it is, I'm right :smt045
Some may view my politically incorrect opinions as harsh and may be offended by them. Some think political correctness will be our undoing.
daria
Guru

Post by daria »

oldtrucker wrote: Sep 4th, 2021, 8:20 am
daria wrote: Sep 4th, 2021, 5:47 am ^Except Harper isn't running for re-election.

It's not just "peoplekind," but also the BS of the Coronavirus mandates. But yeah, biology does matter, so for all the woke folks who don't understand what chromosomes tell us about a person's biological SEX, please buzz off.
Don't take my silence to mean I've agreed with you; I easily could've just lost interest in explaining how wrong you are.
History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Hurtlander wrote: Sep 4th, 2021, 8:09 am Trudeau’s other major election promise in 2015 was to legalize weed, which he did because he himself likes to partake, but overall the legal government weed stores and government regulated grow-ops have been somewhat of a disaster judging by the numbers of grow-ops that have gone out of business... only the Trudeau government could figure out a way to not make money growing weed..
The problem I'm seeing in the legal cannabis world is that they can't compete with the non-licensed "legacy growers" (a fancy term for people growing cannabis illegally, who were growing it illegally before and are just too lazy to ever get a license and go through the process of applying for legal licenses). When liquor was legalized again after prohibition, there still were people making and selling liquor illegally (moon-shiners they were called), and the government cracked down on them and put them out of business. The current government isn't doing that. So people just grow their own or buy from their dealer they had before 2018, and carry on, while the "legal" places just sit there without doing the business they thought they would be doing, because the thought process was that all of the cannabis sales in Canada would now flow through legal entities. It should be, but it won't, unless someone stops the illegal cannabis. Which of course, the Liberals are never going to do.
Anyone that wants better governance and a good mix of fiscal and social responsibility, vote Conservatives, and anyone that wants a truly woke progressive government, vote NDP..
I shudder to call anything the NDP wants to do "progressive", as everything they want to do involves blowing mega gazillions of dollars of taxpayer cash that we now don't have thanks to Justin, and it also involves taxing the living poop out of everyone, which just means people moving out of this country and finding a better place to live. That's not "progressive", that's just lazy. I watched Joe Biden speak yesterday and it was like he was just copying Jagmeet, he kept babbling on about "fair share" this and "higher taxes" that. What does this even mean? It's just empty platitudes. Those not paying their "fair share" (and I note that neither sleepy Joe or Regressive Jagmeet ever say what that amount should be) will just leave, if their tax burden is too high, and so this "fair share" nonsense will never work. But to the ears of the gullible fool, I guess "fair share" is something that they want to hear.
Last edited by The Green Barbarian on Sep 4th, 2021, 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Justin Trudeau- racist, elitist, liar. What a sick piece of garbage.

"Mr. Trudeau, you are a disgrace to any democracy. Please spare us your presence" - European Union addressing the sad sack of **** that is currently our PM.
FairlyKnew
Fledgling

Post by FairlyKnew »

My issue is the need to find out what really happened since the Liberals took over. They are desperate to protect their secrets and will go to any lengths to make sure they are not found out. Remember all the blacked out pages in regards to the WE scandal? Remember proroguing parliament? Remember defying the parliament vote to release documents about the procurement of vaccines and the scientists that were fired from the Winnipeg lab? They actually sued the speaker of the house. They had to call an election to stop everything from coming to light. I watched hours of committee members (Liberal side) reading newspapers and textbooks to kill time so nothing happened in the meetings. Who was obstructionist there? They need a majority so they do not have to be accountable to anyone and that is the way they like it. We don't matter at all in the end.
mikest2
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by mikest2 »

FairlyKnew wrote: Sep 4th, 2021, 8:33 am My issue is the need to find out what really happened since the Liberals took over. They are desperate to protect their secrets and will go to any lengths to make sure they are not found out. Remember all the blacked out pages in regards to the WE scandal? Remember proroguing parliament? Remember defying the parliament vote to release documents about the procurement of vaccines and the scientists that were fired from the Winnipeg lab? They actually sued the speaker of the house. They had to call an election to stop everything from coming to light. I watched hours of committee members (Liberal side) reading newspapers and textbooks to kill time so nothing happened in the meetings. Who was obstructionist there? They need a majority so they do not have to be accountable to anyone and that is the way they like it. We don't matter at all in the end.
Bang on !! :up: :up:
Once I thought I was wrong.....but I was mistaken...
fluffy
Buddha of the Board

Post by fluffy »

Hurtlander wrote: Sep 4th, 2021, 8:09 am I really don’t understand how anyone can still get suckered into voting for the Liberals with all their empty election promises...
I won't be voting Liberal, but I most certainly will not be voting Conservative, and that decision was not made lightly. I don't see much difference between Trudeau and O'Toole, they are both examples of what a superficial mockery of voter representation our government has become. As I have said a few times, the problems we face have been fifty years in the making and we're not going to fix them in one election. I'm taking a long term strategy based on the thought that we have evolved into to form of capitalism controlled by a select few to benefit only a select few, and that dealing with inequality in all its forms holds the path to a better future. Conservative philosophy provides fertile ground for more of the same in terms of predatory capitalism, and for me it's essential that we move in a direction that takes us away from there. For all Mr. O'Toole's wannabe centrist rhetoric, he does not have the support of his party or the majority of voter base in moving the party away from where it has always been, and where, albeit out of sight, where it fully intends to stay.
Never miss a good chance to shut up.
Alien Head Dude
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Alien Head Dude »

fluffy wrote: I won't be voting Liberal, but I most certainly will not be voting Conservative, and that decision was not made lightly. I don't see much difference between Trudeau and O'Toole, they are both examples of what a superficial mockery of voter representation our government has become. As I have said a few times, the problems we face have been fifty years in the making and we're not going to fix them in one election. I'm taking a long term strategy based on the thought that we have evolved into to form of capitalism controlled by a select few to benefit only a select few, and that dealing with inequality in all its forms holds the path to a better future. Conservative philosophy provides fertile ground for more of the same in terms of predatory capitalism, and for me it's essential that we move in a direction that takes us away from there. For all Mr. O'Toole's wannabe centrist rhetoric, he does not have the support of his party or the majority of voter base in moving the party away from where it has always been, and where, albeit out of sight, where it fully intends to stay.
:up: :up: :up:
The hard-right Cons on this board don't like anyone referencing the findings from the research
into conservative "thinking", but they sure do enjoy providing us with plenty of evidence for it.
hobbyguy
Walks on Forum Water

Post by hobbyguy »

oldtrucker wrote: Sep 4th, 2021, 8:25 am Housing affordability is one of the main election issues.
You can NOT add 1.2 million people to Canada over 4 years ...or 14 years without effecting supply and price.
Any party that has a 'housing plan' other than stopping mass immigration has no plan.
Yes....I'm right. No matter how politically incorrect it is, I'm right :smt045
Actually, the housing issue was discussed in a Globe and Mail editorial analysis, and they correctly point out that the real control over housing supply is with municipalities - and is driven by a weird set of self cancelling zoning priorities - an THAT has created a situation this century (and before) where housing supply per 100,000 people has dropped, and dropped, and dropped, and is waaay below our G7 peers.

If your immigration "thing" had any validity then COVID should have driven housing prices down, as immigration pretty much came to a halt for about a year.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opinion ... rtage-can/

"The federal parties are promising to fix Canada’s housing shortage. Can they?"

"What’s gone wrong with Canada’s housing market happened over decades, at city councils across the country."

SNIP

"Mix too little supply and a growing population with low interest rates, and housing prices have surged.

Increasing supply is the long-term solution. City councils – stuck in a decades-old mindset that stands against missing-middle housing, such as townhomes and small apartment buildings, in neighbourhoods of single-family houses – have failed to do so. There’s plenty of land but too much of it is occupied by the least amount of density possible."

SNIP

"The idea of levering the heft of higher levels of government to make a difference in local housing is percolating. Oregon has instituted statewide zoning changes; California – whose zoning is so restrictive that the state has both a growing economy and a shrinking population – is working toward the same goal. In Canada, a recent provincial-federal report on housing affordability in British Columbia concluded the province must intervene, because change is unlikely if left to city councils."

SNIP

"Ottawa can also make a difference in non-market affordable housing. A half century ago, the federal government provided cash for everything from capital to operating costs. At the peak in the 1970s, 25,000 units of affordable housing were built each year. From 1990 through 2019, the annual tally was 3,000 units. The Liberals’ national housing strategy has in part restored Ottawa’s role, but its aim of 16,000 units of affordable housing a year is unambitious compared with the past."

SNIP

"Building is one thing; preserving what exists is another. Housing advocates such as Vote Housing and Generation Squeeze point to the need to save affordable homes that stand today. From 2011 to 2016, through demolition or rent hikes, Canada lost more than 300,000 units renting for less than $750 a month."

Now there is a problem with all of that. I don't want to live in an apartment or townhouse. With COVID restrictions making it apparent to folks that more space for their families is crucial, single family housing has been the "hottest" housing component. IF "we" start tearing down single family homes to build condos, it makes sense from a housing numbers issue standpoint, but what the end result will be negative as those who currently own single family push out, and drive up[ the single family homes in surrounding communities - and even in distant communities where the rise of remote work makes that feasible.

Net result, a plus here, a minus there.

The pattern is obvious. Surrey, Langley, Abbottsford, Aldergrove, Chilliwack, Maple Ridge, et al have all seen huge jumps in housing prices and single family housing booms as places like Burnaby and Vancouver "densify".

Eventually, single family homes become a luxury only for the wealthy as has happened in Europe and is already happening in Vancouver. It is hard for Canadians to let go of the single family home aspiration.

Part of the problem is lack of autonomy granted to "home owners" with strata councils. Part of the problem is lack of space as builders maximize profits through shrinkflation (the same kind of thing as fewer and fewer cookies in a box, smaller coffee packages etc. etc.). Part of the problem is 3-4 story townhouses that are full of stairs that our aging population does not want, or in the case of many elders - navigate.

I know, federal politicians of all stripes will pretend they have a "magic formula" that will solve the issues. Yet the jurisdictions with the most ability to effect change are municipalities and to a lesser extent provinces.

The real answers for Canada likely lie in looking at the "London Model". Mass transit that extends out to areas as far as 50 miles where all forms of housing can be affordably built, and everyday people that work in London can afford both the time and $$ for. Canadians are already spending large amounts of time stuck in traffic anyway, would you not rather be on a train comfortably reading a paper (or whatever) than the stress and cost of traffic? And never mind the carbon emissions, noise pollution etc. from all that traffic.

In my opinion the best way for the feds to be involved is big $$$ for mass transit. Then the cost of living goes down for everyday Canadians, their lives become less stressful, and housing options/supply go up - which will stabilize prices and eventually push them down. Mass transit options are a "kill many birds with one stone" - reducing carbon emissions, reducing daily costs for everyday Canadians, reducing noise pollution, and pushing to stabilize the housing markets.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.

Return to “Canada”