New Brunswickers told to shutup about unceded and unsurrendered land

bb49
Guru

New Brunswickers told to shutup about unceded and unsurrendered land

Post by bb49 »

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brun ... -1.6211638
Staff told to instead use approved acknowledgement that excludes words 'unceded' and 'unsurrendered'

...the Government of New Brunswick (GNB) is currently involved in a number of legal actions which have been initiated by certain First Nations against the province, including a claim to ownership and title to over 60% of the Province,

As a result of this litigation, legal Council for GNB and the Office of the Attorney General has advised that GNB employees may not make or issue territorial or title acknowledgements.

I've been in public places where people have made these acknowledgements and wondered about the wisdom of it
When first hearing it, my thoughts were " why are you sucking up to the natives?"

Smart move on the part of New Brunswick.
I_am_a_Canadian (with unacceptable views)
liisgo
Übergod

Re: New Brunswickers told to shutup about unceded and unsurrendered land

Post by liisgo »

A lot of power in these words being used. It's a demand being made that is the pre text of establishing the future rights and ownership of all the land. No different than so many function's having to start off by stating and agreeing that we are thankful for being allowed on the land we stand and that acknowledgement be given to that fact.
I would hope any one that supports this route and future, forfeit their property now and do the right thing and move away.
Mark5
Board Meister

Post by Mark5 »

bb49 wrote: Oct 15th, 2021, 2:50 pm https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brun ... -1.6211638
Staff told to instead use approved acknowledgement that excludes words 'unceded' and 'unsurrendered'

...the Government of New Brunswick (GNB) is currently involved in a number of legal actions which have been initiated by certain First Nations against the province, including a claim to ownership and title to over 60% of the Province,

As a result of this litigation, legal Council for GNB and the Office of the Attorney General has advised that GNB employees may not make or issue territorial or title acknowledgements.

I've been in public places where people have made these acknowledgements and wondered about the wisdom of it
When first hearing it, my thoughts were " why are you sucking up to the natives?"

That is right. Great Britain is responsible for that and for any other beefs or debts owed. Not Canada. Remember the Governor General is the royal representative of her majesty, the Queen who`s lineage dates back to all the people involved in the signing of treaties and granting lands,etc.As far as demands for lands, there was not enough people to occupy all the lands. We don`t even do that now. The first nations themselves were here for no greater than 10,000 years because of the ice age. They cannot claim all the land that they too immigrated too. As if there is not enough room in Canada, the second largest country in land mass on earth.
I hate to say it, but follow the money.
Mark5
Board Meister

Post by Mark5 »

Mark5 wrote: Oct 18th, 2021, 7:57 pm
bb49 wrote: Oct 15th, 2021, 2:50 pm https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brun ... -1.6211638

That is right. Great Britain is responsible for that and for any other beefs or debts owed in my opinion. Not Canada. Remember the Governor General is the royal representative of her majesty, the Queen who`s lineage dates back to all the people involved in the signing of treaties and granting lands,etc. As far as demands for lands, there was not enough people to occupy all the lands. We don`t even do that now. The first nations themselves were here for no greater than 10,000 years because of the ice age. They cannot claim all the land that they too immigrated too. As if there is not enough room in Canada, the second largest country in land mass on earth. However, they did occupy some specific areas and I agree those areas should be dealt with in a reasonable way.
Brass Monkey
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Brass Monkey »

From the article:

“Flemming said he sent the memo because whether the land is unceded or not is still "unresolved."

Good grief, they’ll do anything but read the treaties.
bb49
Guru

Post by bb49 »

Brass Monkey wrote: Oct 20th, 2021, 12:15 pm From the article:

“Flemming said he sent the memo because whether the land is unceded or not is still "unresolved."

Good grief, they’ll do anything but read the treaties.
Apparently it's more than what's in the treaties, ...including a claim to ownership and title to over 60% of the Province,...
bb49
Guru

Post by bb49 »

And on a similar note,
https://www.castanetkamloops.net/news/C ... s-minister

He says it's unclear who were the first people in what is now Montreal.
Seems the Habs don't know who really was there first. Does anyone?

Return to “Canada”