No EI for the unvaccinated

wascobi
Fledgling

No EI for the unvaccinated

Post by wascobi »

if your double vaxed with a booster and wear a mask, what are you worried about?

https://www.castanet.net/news/Poll/3494 ... -EI#349443
erinmore3775
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: No EI for the unvaccinated

Post by erinmore3775 »

https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-soc ... id-19.html

Employment and Social Development Canada has provided very clear information to employers who wish to institute and enforce a mandatory mask and/or vaccine policy as a requirement for employment.

The employer must:

- clearly outline the COVID mandate, which may require proof of vaccination or a mandated exclusion from vaccination.
- the consequences of the refusal to comply with the mandate must be clearly outlined.
- an employee contravening the mandate must be given a request/warning to comply.
- documentation of the mandate, warning, and termination must be kept on file.

This is not an infringement on the right to work, but a reasonable mandate designed for the health and safety of all employees and those that may come into contact with them. That employee may choose to work with another employer who does not have a stringent COVID policy, but during the time of unemployment, they will not be eligible for EI benefits.

I know of one anti-vaxer, who was working in the film industry who was terminated for his failure to wear a mask. He was accommodated by the production company by being allowed to work on the far periphery of the film set. However, when asked to wear a mask, he wore it around his waist, and was immediately fired.
We won’t fight homelessness, hunger, or poverty, but we can fight climate change. The juxtaposition of the now and the future, food for thought.

"You make a living by what you get; you make a life by what you give." - Winston Churchill
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

wascobi wrote: Oct 23rd, 2021, 11:59 am if your double vaxed with a booster and wear a mask, what are you worried about?

Not much because I'm double vaxxed and wear a mask.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
crookedmember
Banned

Post by crookedmember »

wascobi wrote: Oct 23rd, 2021, 11:59 am if your double vaxed with a booster and wear a mask, what are you worried about?

I'm worried because the unvaxxed dullards are spreading it amongst themselves, getting sick enough to require hospital care, clogging our ICUs, costing our healthcare system billions, burning out our healthcare workers, and prolonging the pandemic by providing easy marks for the virus to nest long term.

The funeral homes benefit for these selfish, ignorant dupes; nobody else.

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Oct 23rd, 2021, 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off Topic
All posts 100% moderator approved!
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

crookedmember wrote: Oct 23rd, 2021, 1:17 pm

I'm worried because the unvaxxed dullards are spreading it amongst themselves, getting sick enough to require hospital care, clogging our ICUs, costing our healthcare system billions, burning out our healthcare workers, and prolonging the pandemic by providing easy marks for the virus to nest long term.

The funeral homes benefit for these selfish, ignorant dupes; nobody else.

Also, it's "you're."
Actually, I suspect the true anti-vaxxers are not that big a group, they are just very, very noisy.

The sad part though is that they have confused the hesitant with mounds and mounds of misinformation - and it is likely that hesitant group who got confused by the anti-vaxxer "educated idiots" are actually paying the price.

Many of the hesitant have reasons for hesitancy that clear communication would have helped them with. The fog of nonsense put up by the anti-vaxxers, some of whom are just opportunists (political or otherwise), is killing people and clogging our ICUs etc. Pols that pander to the anti-vaxxer small crowd can add their names to the wall of shame.

The stories I read of hesitant folks who got caught out and are now caught up in family tragedies are heart wrenching. The anti-vaxxers from so called "preachers" right through to trolls looking for Youtube hits and unscrupulous pols all have "blood on their hands" in these unfortunate tragedies.

While I am somewhat ambivalent about denying EI to those who lose their jobs for being unvaccinated (it may be used in some cases for simple staff cuts etc.) I understand why the provision is there.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

I am nearing retirement so I don’t give a damn about EI anymore, been doing my own pension (so I’m not relying on government) since I was in my early 20s.

Hopefully the Supreme Court Justices get off their :swear: and actually look into what federal & provincial governments are doing. Make a ruling if it’s constitutional or not.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
gertlush
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by gertlush »

There is a lot of good possibilities down that road. We could set up, i dunno, like a "social credit" system or something. Where the govt could decide to give you the benefits, that you pay for, based on certain criteria.
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Post by JagXKR »

Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

JagXKR wrote: Oct 23rd, 2021, 9:59 pm Poll got hijacked again by bots.
https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-story--11-.htm
I was watching it go up, every few seconds, for about five minutes. I'm not so sure it was bots.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

32000+ votes is impressive. Triple that of all the recent polls. Of course this is an important question yet bots are always a problem.

I believe EI should be available to those who are let go, employees earned it. BC like other progressive places were one of the first to jump on the mandate wagon. Like Lori Lightfoot who is now getting severe backlash, it shows the un-imaginative, UN-progressive tyrannical nature of progressives. Detroit might lose 1/3 of their police to other states. Well, they could have gotten a religious or medical exemption and that would had been ok? Or they could have worn PPE like they did for the first two years with no problem, get tested daily at their own expense, etc. The vaccine does nothing for 6% of the population as it is.

So to fix this problem, Bonnie says screw you you’re fired, no EI for you and I hope you die alone in a gutter starving to death and bonus points because you’re likely conservative. Very NDP. Thankfully mandates are not everywhere and it probably splits down the middle, like the poll. My wife gave a “thank-you” card with $50 to an outstanding co-worker buddy who for the last few years was thanked and praised by everyone until the switch was flicked and she was let go. She cried and said she didn’t even have gas for her car, and thanked her angel. Government should at least recognize each persons individuality and choices.
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Jlabute wrote: Oct 24th, 2021, 7:42 am
I believe EI should be available to those who are let go, employees earned it.
But if you quit your job I believe you are not eligible to collect.

So not getting vaccinated and losing your job seems to me to be the same as quitting.
So I saw a bumper sticker today that said, I'm a Veterinarian so I drive like an animal.
I suddenly realised how many Proctologists are on the road!
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

Bsuds wrote: Oct 24th, 2021, 8:05 am
Jlabute wrote: Oct 24th, 2021, 7:42 am
I believe EI should be available to those who are let go, employees earned it.

So not getting vaccinated and losing your job seems to me to be the same as quitting.
True, although voluntarily leaving and being forced to leave because you are asked to do something against your conscience, do not seem the same to me.
Last edited by Jlabute on Oct 24th, 2021, 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

Jlabute wrote: Oct 24th, 2021, 7:42 am 32000+ votes is impressive. Triple that of all the recent polls. Of course this is an important question yet bots are always a problem.
I think it's more likely people were behind the rapid increase in votes.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

rustled wrote: Oct 24th, 2021, 8:14 am
Jlabute wrote: Oct 24th, 2021, 7:42 am 32000+ votes is impressive. Triple that of all the recent polls. Of course this is an important question yet bots are always a problem.
I think it's more likely people were behind the rapid increase in votes.
I think so too. 3x the voters because this is an important emotional topic where peoples livelihoods and careers and lifetime of training are potentially at stake.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

Jlabute wrote: Oct 24th, 2021, 8:13 am
Bsuds wrote: Oct 24th, 2021, 8:05 am

True, although voluntarily leaving and being forced to leave because you are asked to do something against your conscience, do not seem the same to me.
I agree, Jlabute. The job's requirements have changed from what the original employment contract required - the employee didn't ask for that.

Return to “Canada”