Canada Post .......... too dumb to be flexible?

I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Canada Post .......... too dumb to be flexible?

Post by I Think »

Ordered a much needed part from Edmonton, the vendor was very prompt and put it with Canada Post for delivery.
So with all the flooding and highway closures, they shipped it through Richmond. Is no one awake, surely they have the ability, if not the wit, so send mail headed for the Okanagan and the Kootenays via Kelowna?. So now the package is hung up in Richmond, waiting for the backlog to clear.
In this age of computer aided mail sorting, have they stupidly abandoned any flexibility?
We're lost but we're making good time.
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Canada Post .......... too dumb to be flexible?

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

oldtrucker wrote: Dec 23rd, 2021, 4:20 pm I have a close family member that just quit Can post. They are buried in hiring 'quotas' to be politically correct, not to get the job done. Apparently they are leaderless and lost just like everything crown in this country. And from what I understand of the situation- they don't have anyone to answer to, so expect to be using other private couriers a lot more in the future, and expect to have things go missing.
That sounds a lot like CBC. :200:
I'm posting this from Traditional lands of the British Empire & the current Lands of The Dominion of Canada.
I also give thanks for this ethos richness bestowed on us via British Colonialism.

#StandUpToJewishHate
polelady
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by polelady »

Me thinks ICBC is doing the same.. !
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

I have had more dealings with Canada Post than most people and I can honestly say they never hired from the higher end of the mental ladder.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

I Think wrote: Dec 23rd, 2021, 1:19 pm Ordered a much needed part from Edmonton, the vendor was very prompt and put it with Canada Post for delivery.
So with all the flooding and highway closures, they shipped it through Richmond. Is no one awake, surely they have the ability, if not the wit, so send mail headed for the Okanagan and the Kootenays via Kelowna?. So now the package is hung up in Richmond, waiting for the backlog to clear.
In this age of computer aided mail sorting, have they stupidly abandoned any flexibility?
Apparently Kelowna isn’t a parcel sorting centre.
https://www.canadapost-postescanada.ca/ ... -times.pdf
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

GordonH wrote: Dec 23rd, 2021, 7:42 pm
Hasn't been for a long time.

Mail goes from the interior to Richmond and back for delivery.

Talk about not being environmentally friendly! I wonder how much extra fuel that uses?
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

I had a number of parcels that languished in Richmond for over a week on their way here, but with the exception of a couple of little bits that shipped from the UK everything has landed safely.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Hurtlander
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Hurtlander »

Lots of people in rural areas are having a difficult time getting their mail because unvaccinated mail delivery contractors are no longer allowed to handle the mail. Rural mail delivery contractors have to be thoroughly screened and vetted, these days it takes forever to get a criminal records check, so it’s not easy to just find new fully vaccinated mail delivery contractors. The federal government and Canada Post should have made sure they had replacement employees ready to go to work before implementing the fully vaccinated mandate.
Póg Mo Thoin
No longer proud to be born in British Columbia.
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Post by I Think »

Bsuds wrote: Dec 24th, 2021, 6:14 am

Talk about not being environmentally friendly! I wonder how much extra fuel that uses?
But but but we have always done it that way.
We need to get mail handling out of the '70's. We have new technologies.
We're lost but we're making good time.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

Bsuds wrote: Dec 24th, 2021, 6:14 am Hasn't been for a long time.

This was discussed in viewtopic.php?f=26&t=90144

and on page 1 you'll see
Mail from Kelowna and surrounding areas used to be sent to Vancouver for sorting. Spoke to a post person earlier today and was told that changed about a year ago and it's now sorted in the Kelowna facility. Have to mail something to my son in Kamloops so instead of taking 2-3 days it might take 5 days. No biggie - mail goes from Kelowna to Vernon to Kamloops.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

^^^ is that just outgoing mail & parcels, does it also include incoming mail and parcels.
Or does ALL incoming mail and parcels from outside BC/Interior go through Richmond.

Since people are waiting for incoming items.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Thanks, didn't know they changed that. It was stupid to begin with.

Still doesn't explain why items are sitting in Richmond/Burnaby for days on end. I could walk it to Kelowna faster than they are sending stuff!

One of Mrs S's Christmas presents that I ordered a month ago is still not here. Shows in transit over a week in Burnaby.
I suspect they have lost it.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

GordonH wrote: Dec 24th, 2021, 10:40 am ^^^ is that just outgoing mail & parcels, does it also include incoming mail and parcels.
Or does ALL incoming mail and parcels from outside BC/Interior go through Richmond.

Since people are waiting for incoming items.
From the other thread
Tootsie wrote: Nov 27th, 2021, 7:42 pm We are doing our best at CP and Do have the public's best interest at heart. We can't control what we can't control. And ...you probably don't know this ..but YES they HAVE chartered planes ...2 every day unloading at Kelowna airport.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

Bsuds wrote: Dec 24th, 2021, 6:14 am

I once bought an item on EBay that was shipped from Linden Washington via the postal services. It tracked to Seattle, and I expected it would go to Vancouver. Nope, it tracked from Seattle to Los Angeles. Now going to Vancouver I thought. Nope, Los Angeles to Kentucky. Kentucky to Toronto. Toronto to Vancouver and finally sent here.

As I recall, the postage and insurance was about $12.... and I had no idea that for the post office Linden, Washington is 14,000 km away.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

I got 1 package in the mail today and still one in limbo.

The one I got is the one I was thinking they might have lost because it is a small item.

Luckily Amazon loves to put small things in big envelopes. lol

At least now my Wife will get her "Purple Thangs" in her stocking tomorrow.

Quilters will understand the importance of those. :biggrin:

Return to “Canada”