CRTC bans Russian state-run broadcaster RT from Canadian airwa

GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: CRTC bans Russian state-run broadcaster RT from Canadian airwa

Post by GordonH »

^^^ I don’t have issue with the Russian citizens, just the self declared President for life Putin.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Jim Dixon
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Jim Dixon »

fluffy wrote: Mar 19th, 2022, 4:34 am
Jim Dixon wrote: Mar 18th, 2022, 5:18 pmCheck today's freedom against the ones you had 10 years ago. :(
Can you be more specific ? What has changed in the last ten years ?
You could search it on the Internet, or Google the catalogue. Here is 2022, and from same source, compare to 2017. Too, you'll need to Canada's Office of the Privacy Commissioner (beware of their anti-privacy trackers). And a service of Canada randomly stroked for privacy, Canada's National Do Not Call List same caution regarding stalkers.
But the best test method is to turn on your phone - your personal anti-privacy device. You can also go to feds Canada's Internet Harm documents. Lastly the 2nd last big one, Bill-c10, and last biggest one, see topic of this OP. ;)

~j
WARNING::: Anything you say can and will be taken out of context by many and used against you in a Court of Social Media.
marvin gardens
Generalissimo Postalot

CRTC officially bans RT television

Post by marvin gardens »

CRTC claims to have heard from "interested parties"
It must have been a small group.The claim is 3 hundred, and a decision in such a short time.
The argument is that RT spewed propaganda.
Well now, I don't know what programs they watched , but Chris Hedges, award winning journalist, Jesse Ventura, Mike Pampanio, discussed Julian Assange, oil companies killing the natives of South America, The Keiser on stocks, are hardly propaganda, worth the 4 bucks I pay a month.I simply grew tired of the CBC and the Toastmaster network(CTV). News anchors that wave their hands and arms about, up down, in out, trying to convince the viewer they know what they are talking about.
Interesting that Chinese video is still available.The Epoch Times, a Chinese newspaper, available in stores for 5 bucks.
Full of stories about Chinese support for Russia.
Canadians should be worried that governments and government bodies are making decisions that affect what we read, and view.
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

fluffy wrote: Mar 19th, 2022, 4:33 am
spooker wrote: Mar 18th, 2022, 7:13 pm I'm glad that my sister-in-law will now not have as much content to blast me with all the time that I have to fact check for her ...
:up: :up:

That's the meat of it right there. Altruistic approaches to censorship carry little weight when you consider that the number of people who will not use access to a range of viewpoints that extends outwards to include ethically questionable sources responsibly, the "I saw it online so it has to be true" types. We are in a time of unprecedented division in public opinion, just how much of that is based on overtly bad information ?
What the heck is an “altruistic approach to censorship” ??
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
Jim Dixon
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: CRTC officially bans RT television

Post by Jim Dixon »

marvin gardens wrote: Mar 19th, 2022, 11:58 am CRTC claims to have heard from "interested parties"...
It must have been a small group.The claim is 3 hundred, and a decision in such a short time.
....... etcetera
Well stated MG. Do you know what the CRTC heard from the "300" (isn't there a movie about 300?).
As some have said, they are able to access RT.
Well, "3 hundred" sounds like a minority and for quite some time now minorities make the new rules.
Whatever the case, the news that CRTC is, will, have, or had or intend to block RT is a sign just how much censoring in Canada is becoming. Too it will depend on what the broadcasters say.
You said you pay $4.00 a month. Is that for the TV version of RT or subscription to RT?
Enoch delivers here for free :)

All hail the onion :)

~j
WARNING::: Anything you say can and will be taken out of context by many and used against you in a Court of Social Media.
d0nb
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by d0nb »

Catsumi wrote: Mar 17th, 2022, 6:17 pm I agree with Jim Dixon.

Censorship of media (such as it is now) is a step towards “right thoughts” as determined by gov’t.

Once media is controlled it’s a job to free it from constrictions.

I liken it to a boa constrictor… if it is wrapped totally tight around you, you are lunch.
Canadian broadcasters are no longer allowed to distribute Russia’s state-run broadcaster, RT

Welcome to the new ‘Gilded Age’ of censorship, where governments and Big Tech “protect” us from non-approved news and opinion. Only fools are in favour of it, but their name is Legion, for they are many.
The biggest problem of censorship is that it tends to be the last resort of the ideologically arrogant and intellectually lazy … A day spent in defense of freedom of speech is a day spent in the company of bigots and hate mongers. – Omid Malekan
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

d0nb wrote: Mar 21st, 2022, 6:31 pm
Catsumi wrote: Mar 17th, 2022, 6:17 pm I agree with Jim Dixon.

Censorship of media (such as it is now) is a step towards “right thoughts” as determined by gov’t.

Once media is controlled it’s a job to free it from constrictions.

I liken it to a boa constrictor… if it is wrapped totally tight around you, you are lunch.
Canadian broadcasters are no longer allowed to distribute Russia’s state-run broadcaster, RT

Welcome to the new ‘Gilded Age’ of censorship, where governments and Big Tech “protect” us from non-approved news and opinion. Only fools are in favour of it, but their name is Legion, for they are many.
And seems to be growing in number daily.

We will censor your news, choose what you shall eat, decide where you live. You will own nothing and you will be happy.
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

This tells me that Canada is no better then Russia or any other dictatorship for censuring the media.

Why not leave the Russian sites there for people to view and make their own decisions?
Is Ottawa afraid of what we might view, or do they want control over what we view?
I'm posting this from Traditional lands of the British Empire & the current Lands of The Dominion of Canada.
I also give thanks for this ethos richness bestowed on us via British Colonialism.

#StandUpToJewishHate
Jim Dixon
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Jim Dixon »

bb49 wrote: Mar 21st, 2022, 8:56 pm This tells me that Canada is no better then Russia or any other dictatorship for censuring the media.

Why not leave the Russian sites there for people to view and make their own decisions?
Is Ottawa afraid of what we might view, or do they want control over what we view?
OPINION:
Trudeau, CRTC, and to some small degree the CIRA are building the Internet Harms law along with Bill C-10 to hog-tie and rope our mouth and minds to march to one beat.

As the saying goes. "where there is smoke, there is fire and there is a lot of smoke in a survey that was not publicized, until someone did. The U.S. New York State Assembly has something very similar to Canada's that leave people without any rights when it comes to COVID-1984.

I tested the outreach to RT.COM, People may be referring to RT's Russia Today whose U.S. offices were in Washington, D.C. The channel ceased operations of all live programming on March 3, 2022, with T&R Productions indicating the layoffs of all off- and on-air staff would be permanent... wiki article.
RT.COM is using a anti-DdoS window to try and block western countries from accessing it after Putin ordered it blocked.

From where I am, my trace to RT.COM starts locally, fired off to Toronto, back to Surrey in B.C. then to Stockholm where it is stopped there. Sometimes, it's relayed from Surrey to be stopped in Amsterdam. There are many ways to circumvent that. But my listing the ways might fall under Internet Harms bill. But I read the Moscow Times any way. I would add the link, but Trudeau blocked RT (Russia Today) and Putin blocked RT.COM, and it might be seen as traitorous.

Today, Google.CA has edited my settings in Chrome to permanently block Moscowtimes.com. Googies think there is only one GoogleNet. Must go and fix that. :)

Oops, just noticed that Reuters has a headline that if read As-Is, suggests Biden gave Putin the go ahead to use chemical weapons. The email from Reuters states..." Tuesday Briefing: Biden says Putin could use chemical weapons in Ukraine". I guess Reuters has no shame either when it comes to tabloid-style journalism.

~j

Return to “Canada”