Should Royalty be dropped after QE?

gertlush
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Should Royalty be dropped after QE?

Post by gertlush »

hobbyguy wrote: May 19th, 2022, 3:55 pm
Jlabute wrote: May 19th, 2022, 8:47 am The Queen isn't a problem. It's idiots like Charles who constantly spread nonsense that Climate Change causes wars, such as the Syrian war, and now that there are wars, we desperately need to go green. Back in 2009, Charles predicted only 100 months remained before climate change would become irreversible. Needless to say, we don't want to sink cash for dumb ideolog royalty. So, pack it all up and put Buckingham Palace in a billion dollar Museum.
The point is that Charles - or any member of the monarchy in the future - is a political eunuch. While Charles can express opinions, they matter even less that yours or mine because Charles doesn't even get to vote, let alone make laws etc.
What about his spider letters? I dont write personal memos to the govt?
mattinkelowna
Fledgling

Post by mattinkelowna »

Queen K wrote: May 18th, 2022, 7:45 pm To be a Republic or not to be a Republic?

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#369332

Do we really need "Crown Land" meaning THEY own it? We manage it?
Do we really need visit after visit costing us thousands?
Do we really believe Canada needs royalty?

Drop or Keep?
Drop it.

1. No more need. Head of state would become the Prime Minister (change title to President)
2. Thousands? It's actually millions.
3. Save many more millions each year by getting rid of the 10 Lieutenant Governors, the Governor General, their properties, pensions, wages and upkeeping costs.
d0nb
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by d0nb »

As beneficial as it might be for Canada to upgrade to an elected head of state, history tells us that making the necessary constitutional adjustments is virtually impossible.
The biggest problem of censorship is that it tends to be the last resort of the ideologically arrogant and intellectually lazy … A day spent in defense of freedom of speech is a day spent in the company of bigots and hate mongers. – Omid Malekan
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

d0nb wrote: May 29th, 2022, 4:10 pm As beneficial as it might be for Canada to upgrade to an elected head of state, history tells us that making the necessary constitutional adjustments is virtually impossible.
Did India have trouble with transfer, they went through hell to get their independence.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
d0nb
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by d0nb »

GordonH wrote: May 29th, 2022, 4:16 pm
d0nb wrote: May 29th, 2022, 4:10 pm As beneficial as it might be for Canada to upgrade to an elected head of state, history tells us that making the necessary constitutional adjustments is virtually impossible.
Did India have trouble with transfer, they went through hell to get their independence.
Our problem is a simple one. No matter how transparently beneficial for the country, constitutional change can and will be blocked by those who demand that their pet concerns be addressed first.
The biggest problem of censorship is that it tends to be the last resort of the ideologically arrogant and intellectually lazy … A day spent in defense of freedom of speech is a day spent in the company of bigots and hate mongers. – Omid Malekan
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

d0nb wrote: May 29th, 2022, 5:40 pm
GordonH wrote: May 29th, 2022, 4:16 pm

Our problem is a simple one. No matter how transparently beneficial for the country, constitutional change can and will be blocked by those who demand that their pet concerns be addressed first.
Pierre knew this so he added items that he knew would not be change or remove without major hurdles to be jumped first.
Those hurdles are all Provinces & territories agreeing, good luck with this alone.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.

Return to “Canada”