Liberals

the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Re: Liberals

Post by the truth »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Nov 17th, 2022, 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Response to removed post.
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
DoDo1975
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by DoDo1975 »

hobbyguy wrote: Nov 17th, 2022, 3:16 pm
Plain and simple nonsense to believe that crypto Ponzi peddler Pierre "le poulet" has any clue whatsoever what he is talking about. Pierre is spinning his usual simplistic nonsense out of the "Conservative Populism" playbook written by far right Republicans.

Productivity in Canada is NOT terrible. The clowns that measure "productivity" generally do it based on labor $ costs per hour. Stop and think a minute. Labor costs per hour is tied to wages for ordinary Canadians. So if "productivity" in Canada is below some other countries, all it means is that in Canada wage suppression is not as bad. It is stupid measure anyway, as the economic productivity of Canadians is quite high, just not the same as in other countries. Apples and oranges to compare economies that are resource and knowledge driven as opposed to manufacturing based economies.

If you think Putin's insane war is not an inflation driver, that's a patently false view. One of the biggest drivers in the inflation cycle is oil and gas prices, and those have shot up (partly due to profiteering) as a direct result of Putin's thuggery and insanity.

Xi has been ideologically focused on a "zero covid" policy that has and is failing. That "zero covid" has been directly responsible for shortages (hence driving up prices) in a number of products, the latest being iPhones. https://www.cnbc.com/2022/11/02/apple-i ... hina-.html To try to say that Xi's "zero covid" policy is not an inflation driver is just illogical.

Was the pandemic always going to have economic effects that ripple for a while?? Yup. Has that got anything to do with Trudeau? Nope. Trudeau didn't cause the pandemic, but arguably managed it pretty decently - about 3 times better than the likes of Trumpty Dumpty and BoJo the clown.
You missed the forest for the trees and turned this into something about PP again. You have a one track mind.

Inflation was already pushing 6% before Putin invaded Ukraine.

We have too much demand in this country because there is too much money because there is too much debt. Too many people driving expensive cars and taking expensive vacations without the salaries to enable this. Too many people living off free money and debt.

This is the source of the demand problem, and it's a demand problem not a supply one. It's not Xis fault that they slowed down all the crap they send us to help absord all that extra money. It's our fault for creating so much money and so called "wealth" that we needed all that crap to absorb it in the first place.

We are to blame, not Xi and not Putin. Us.
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

DoDo1975 wrote: Nov 17th, 2022, 3:30 pm
hobbyguy wrote: Nov 17th, 2022, 3:16 pm
Plain and simple nonsense to believe that crypto Ponzi peddler Pierre "le poulet" has any clue whatsoever what he is talking about. Pierre is spinning his usual simplistic nonsense out of the "Conservative Populism" playbook written by far right Republicans.

Productivity in Canada is NOT terrible. The clowns that measure "productivity" generally do it based on labor $ costs per hour. Stop and think a minute. Labor costs per hour is tied to wages for ordinary Canadians. So if "productivity" in Canada is below some other countries, all it means is that in Canada wage suppression is not as bad. It is stupid measure anyway, as the economic productivity of Canadians is quite high, just not the same as in other countries. Apples and oranges to compare economies that are resource and knowledge driven as opposed to manufacturing based economies.

If you think Putin's insane war is not an inflation driver, that's a patently false view. One of the biggest drivers in the inflation cycle is oil and gas prices, and those have shot up (partly due to profiteering) as a direct result of Putin's thuggery and insanity.

Xi has been ideologically focused on a "zero covid" policy that has and is failing. That "zero covid" has been directly responsible for shortages (hence driving up prices) in a number of products, the latest being iPhones. https://www.cnbc.com/2022/11/02/apple-i ... hina-.html To try to say that Xi's "zero covid" policy is not an inflation driver is just illogical.

Was the pandemic always going to have economic effects that ripple for a while?? Yup. Has that got anything to do with Trudeau? Nope. Trudeau didn't cause the pandemic, but arguably managed it pretty decently - about 3 times better than the likes of Trumpty Dumpty and BoJo the clown.
You missed the forest for the trees and turned this into something about PP again. You have a one track mind.

Inflation was already pushing 6% before Putin invaded Ukraine.

We have too much demand in this country because there is too much money because there is too much debt. Too many people driving expensive cars and taking expensive vacations without the salaries to enable this. Too many people living off free money and debt.

This is the source of the demand problem, and it's a demand problem not a supply one. It's not Xis fault that they slowed down all the crap they send us to help absord all that extra money. It's our fault for creating so much money and so called "wealth" that we needed all that crap to absorb it in the first place.

We are to blame, not Xi and not Putin. Us.
False information is leading you astray. Here is the chart on Canada's inflation rate: https://tradingeconomics.com/canada/inflation-cpi

Putin launched his invasion of Ukraine in February. Canada's inflation rate was at 5.7% - spiking precisely because oil and gas prices were going up on speculation that Putin would invade that started in Dec. and January. WTI was about $66 in December, then started rising rapidly on that speculation, by the time Putin actually invaded it had jumped over $90 and after Putin invaded it spiked to $123. Prior to Putin's invasion build up, Canada's inflation rate was running 4.7-4.8 mostly based on shortages from the pandemic and a nutso real estate market. The nutso real estate market is on the BOC and central banks low interest rates in general. Probably would have been about 3.5%, maybe 3.7% inflation without the pandemic supply chain issues. Putin's insane actions changed all that, piling the war effects on top.

Trying to say that Putin's insane war is not a major contributor to our inflation is illogical, and the data shows a clear correlation. https://oilprice.com/oil-price-charts/

Pierre "le poulet" started gaslighting about this as part of the ridiculous "Conservative Populism" that Harper touted. It is nothing more than specious and egregious gaslighting from the crypto peddler Pierre "le poulet".

Without Xi's actions, and without Putin's insanity, we would probably have inflation around 3.5% to 4% as food prices are also being hammered by climate change effects and profiteering. A little bit of that is hangover from pandemic relief that was a bit overdone by Trudeau, but in context it was better to be somewhat overdone than insufficient. That is also a waning factor. Demographics are also having an impact as boomers retire in droves, leaving holes in the labor markets.

So we have a convergence of factors, and currently the components of inflation in Canada have little or nothing to do with federal government and BOC actions, except that it has moderated a bit with higher interest rates, mostly in the housing sector. The rest is all gaslighting based on Pierre "le poulet" and his false narratives from "Conservative populism".

Trudeau and the Liberals are indeed adjusting, ignoring foolish call by by Pierre to go with unfunded tax cuts - just as Truss infamously did in the UK.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
DoDo1975
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by DoDo1975 »

hobbyguy wrote: Nov 17th, 2022, 4:47 pm

False information is leading you astray. Here is the chart on Canada's inflation rate: https://tradingeconomics.com/canada/inflation-cpi

Trying to say that Putin's insane war is not a major contributor to our inflation is illogical, and the data shows a clear correlation. https://oilprice.com/oil-price-charts/
Nothing is leading me astray, especially false information. Nothing I have stated is false. PP has not in any way influenced my thinking as the structural issues in our economy outdate both my knowledge of PP's existence and PP's existence in Ottawa.

I never said that Putin''s invasion of Ukraine wasn't contributing to inflation, nor did I make comments around the magnitude of that contribution so you are putting words I did not say in my mouth.

I merely said that inflation is our own doing because for decades we have borrowed like bandits and become a consumption based economy while simultaneously seeing a massive increase in the FIRE industry that doesn't really produce anything.

We have had several oil price spikes over the years without leading to inflation. This is different. Putin and Xi's actions are catalysts for something that was already there. A society that has stopped working hard/smart and stopped producing tangible things and a populace that wants to get rich just buying *bleep*.

Stop blaming others for our chickens coming home to roost.
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

DoDo1975 wrote: Nov 17th, 2022, 5:07 pm
hobbyguy wrote: Nov 17th, 2022, 4:47 pm

Nothing is leading me astray, especially false information. Nothing I have stated is false. PP has not in any way influenced my thinking as the structural issues in our economy outdate both my knowledge of PP's existence and PP's existence in Ottawa.

I never said that Putin''s invasion of Ukraine wasn't contributing to inflation, nor did I make comments around the magnitude of that contribution so you are putting words I did not say in my mouth.

I merely said that inflation is our own doing because for decades we have borrowed like bandits and become a consumption based economy while simultaneously seeing a massive increase in the FIRE industry that doesn't really produce anything.

We have had several oil price spikes over the years without leading to inflation. This is different. Putin and Xi's actions are catalysts for something that was already there. A society that has stopped working hard/smart and stopped producing tangible things and a populace that wants to get rich just buying *bleep*.

Stop blaming others for our chickens coming home to roost.
One of those of chickens is climate change.

The price spike between 08 and 2014 didn't wind up with us having significant inflation precisely because the 08/09 financial meltdown was an incredibly deflationary effect.

The 1970s and 80s oil price spikes were extraordinarily inflationary - and the longer an oil/gas price spike lasts, the worse the inflationary effects. Witnessed it first hand.

https://www.investopedia.com/ask/answer ... lation.asp

"Crude oil is a major economic input, so a rise in oil prices contributes to inflation, which measures the overall rate of price increases across the economy.

Inflation as measured by the annual gain in the U.S. Consumer Price Index (CPI) set a 40-year high in March 2022 amid COVID-19 supply disruptions. Crude oil prices were the highest in a decade as the U.S. and its allies imposed sanctions on Russia due to its invasion of Ukraine.
Key Takeaways

Higher oil prices contribute to inflation directly and by increasing the cost of inputs.
There was a strong correlation between inflation and oil prices during the 1970s.
Oil's potential to stoke inflation has declined as the U.S. economy has become less dependent on it.
Oil prices exert a greater influence on producer prices because of oil's role as a key input."

You do have a point from a personal finance point of view. Using the Australian calculation (close enough to Canada) my personal inflation rate is 6% (I'm not a borrower) whilst those who have big debts are experiencing 9% inflation. And yes, as a "saver" my personal inflation is actually lower because the resulting higher interest rates are increasing my income to partially compensate.

https://www.wealthmanagement.com/high-n ... -inflation

"In short, the current bout of inflation has no particular connection to the total national debt, but likely does stem in part from specific, recent deficit spending. Slowing the growth of the debt would not necessarily ease inflation, but reducing the money supply almost certainly would. The Fed will play a central role in that process."

SNIP

"By that standard, the U.S. should be in real trouble, since our $30 trillion debt is over 130% of the nation’s current GDP. The fact America seems to be chugging along fairly well, all things considered, has many analysts rethinking the conventional wisdom. Researchers primarily arrived at the 77% figure by studying the often tragic fates of developing nations whose currencies do not have the global sway of the U.S. dollar. Meanwhile, Japan’s debt sits at well over 200% of GDP, and no one sees the Land of the Rising Sun as a place of economic ruin.

The truth is we simply do not know how much national debt is too much, and that kind of uncertainty is inherently uncomfortable. By the time we discover the real limit on debt, the nation might have passed a point of no economic return."

All that aside, we do agree that running up the national debt is to be avoided where possible, provided that circumstances allow for it.

The Liberals need to fix the structural revenue deficit we face. It wasn't there under Chretien/Martin, the difference primarily being a lack of revenue from corporations. As I have pointed out before, in 1952 corporations paid 50% of all income taxes, and today they only pay 12.5% of income taxes.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

Climate change isn't costing us anywhere near as much as the Liberal Government's policies around climate change.

They're not really "into" practical policies, at all. More into "fighting climate change" and funding all the silliness that comes with that, making ineffective use of our resources and wasting time and our money to pander to a global agenda.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

HG wrote

The truth is we simply do not know how much national debt is too much, and that kind of uncertainty is inherently uncomfortable. By the time we discover the real limit on debt, the nation might have passed a point of no economic return."
The Niberals and especially JT are doing their best to find the point of no return for our economy.

Best thing to do is rein in JTs free-wheeling worldwide spending, or at the very least, spend it on Canadian infrastructure. It is OUR money, not his.
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

Catsumi wrote: Nov 17th, 2022, 6:09 pm
HG wrote

The Niberals and especially JT are doing their best to find the point of no return for our economy.

Best thing to do is rein in JTs free-wheeling worldwide spending, or at the very least, spend it on Canadian infrastructure. It is OUR money, not his.
Nonsense. How's yer crypto Ponzi losses? Canada's debt to GDP is far, far less than the mess Trumpty Dumpty has left behind in the USA, and far far less than the Japanese debt to GDP.

Climate change effects are costing us big time. Just go look at the price of head of lettuce. Climate change has meant that California agriculture is collapsing. Think about how much the fires and Coq flooding are costing us both directly and indirectly. There are still farmers in the Fraser valley that aren't back in production. These are stories that are playing out everywhere. Australia, Pakistan, Italy, India just to name a few examples. Crops destroyed, or substantially reduced at a time when food prices are already high.

Who created the structural revenue deficit in Canada? Yup, Stevo and his little know nothing apprentice Pierre. Who deliberately stopped paying down the national debt? Yup, Stevo and his little know nothing apprentice Pierre.

The Liberals have not fixed that, and in part because "burned ships" like the disastrous Canada-China FIPA that Stevo and his cabinet like his little know nothing apprentice Pierre locked us into until 2045.

The Liberals are investing in small modular nuclear reactor technology. How much easier would taht have been if Stevo and his cabinet that included know nothing Pierre had not sold off Canada's flagship nuclear R&D arm, including their patents, to SNC-Lavalin for a box of crackerjacks and a bag of stale popcorn? Just one more example of "burned ships" left behind by know nothings like Pierre.

The Liberals need to get with it and make the greedy big corporations pay their fair share. I know, it is hard, especially when the know nothing official opposition fights vehemently against it - but get on with it!
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Nov 18th, 2022, 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Approved in error.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Pappywinkle
Buddha of the Board

Post by Pappywinkle »

hobbyguy wrote: Nov 17th, 2022, 8:20 pm Nonsense. How's yer crypto Ponzi losses? Canada's debt to GDP is far, far less than the mess Trumpty Dumpty has left behind in the USA, and far far less than the Japanese debt to GDP.

Climate change effects are costing us big time. Just go look at the price of head of lettuce. Climate change has meant that California agriculture is collapsing. Think about how much the fires and Coq flooding are costing us both directly and indirectly. There are still farmers in the Fraser valley that aren't back in production. These are stories that are playing out everywhere. Australia, Pakistan, Italy, India just to name a few examples. Crops destroyed, or substantially reduced at a time when food prices are already high.

Who created the structural revenue deficit in Canada? Yup, Stevo and his little know nothing apprentice Pierre. Who deliberately stopped paying down the national debt? Yup, Stevo and his little know nothing apprentice Pierre.

The Liberals have not fixed that, and in part because "burned ships" like the disastrous Canada-China FIPA that Stevo and his cabinet like his little know nothing apprentice Pierre locked us into until 2045.

The Liberals are investing in small modular nuclear reactor technology. How much easier would taht have been if Stevo and his cabinet that included know nothing Pierre had not sold off Canada's flagship nuclear R&D arm, including their patents, to SNC-Lavalin for a box of crackerjacks and a bag of stale popcorn? Just one more example of "burned ships" left behind by know nothings like Pierre.

The Liberals need to get with it and make the greedy big corporations pay their fair share. I know, it is hard, especially when the know nothing official opposition fights vehemently against it - but get on with it!
:up: :up:
It's that special time of year when conservatives stupidly act like they're not allowed to say Merry Christmas.

George Orwell was a socialist.
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Re-read my post where I was agreeing with you! Why try throwing every red herring off topic subject at hand into a reply?
Nonsense. How's yer crypto Ponzi losses? Canada's debt to GDP is far, far less than the mess Trumpty Dumpty has left behind in the USA, and far far less than the Japanese debt to GDP.
I didn’t mention crypto, the USA or Japan. My point was and always will be the ridiculous overspending our harebrained PM engages in to look like Lady Bountiful.
Again, totally off topic but since you bring up rising costs, the carbon tax is definitely increasing your lettuce head costs from govt edict. Now they wish to interfere with farmers doing their level best to keep costs down and keep food supply up.

As well, storms have been with us since the earth was formed and are nothing new
Always cast the blame elsewhere rather than on the gawd awful govt we have suffered through for last 7 years. And if that isn’t enough, be sure to denigrate opposition while you’re at it.
See above
The reactor thing was already discussed as you well know. All that has happened to date is a billion bucks were flashed on the screen but no shovels in the ground. My question at that time was “Are these pals of JT & Co. with their hands out because if so, a billion is just the start of the spending”.
That’s the usual Liberal way…tax corporations into oblivion and they leave Canada. Along with that loss, so go our pensions and investments.

It’s overdue that Canadians get their heads wrapped around the stark fact that Liberals-Niberals have no financial smarts and shouldn’t be allowed near taxpayer money. The only thing they excel at is spending it
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Catsumi wrote: Nov 18th, 2022, 10:14 am

Re-read my post where I was agreeing with you! Why try throwing every red herring off topic subject at hand into a reply?
I didn’t mention crypto, the USA or Japan. My point was and always will be the ridiculous overspending our harebrained PM engages in to look like Lady Bountiful.
Again, totally off topic but since you bring up rising costs, the carbon tax is definitely increasing your lettuce head costs from govt edict. Now they wish to interfere with farmers doing their level best to keep costs down and keep food supply up.

As well, storms have been with us since the earth was formed and are nothing new
Always cast the blame elsewhere rather than on the gawd awful govt we have suffered through for last 7 years. And if that isn’t enough, be sure to denigrate opposition while you’re at it.
See above
The reactor thing was already discussed as you well know. All that has happened to date is a billion bucks were flashed on the screen but no shovels in the ground. My question at that time was “Are these pals of JT & Co. with their hands out because if so, a billion is just the start of the spending”.
That’s the usual Liberal way…tax corporations into oblivion and they leave Canada. Along with that loss, so go our pensions and investments.

It’s overdue that Canadians get their heads wrapped around the stark fact that Liberals-Niberals have no financial smarts and shouldn’t be allowed near taxpayer money. The only thing they excel at is spending it
:up: :up: :up:
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Pappywinkle
Buddha of the Board

Post by Pappywinkle »

Canadian Armed Forces to enhance engagement with Indo-Pacific, Trudeau says

The Liberal government's long-promised Indo-Pacific strategy will include new investments to strengthen the role the Canadian Armed Forces plays in the region, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau announced Friday in Thailand.

"This will support our allies, Japan and South Korea, and all of us in the Pacific," Trudeau said Friday as he wrapped up his participation in the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation forum.

The gathering had been sidetracked by the news that North Korea had launched a ballistic missile that landed near Japanese waters.

"This is completely unacceptable, and must not continue," Trudeau told reporters at a news conference in Bangkok.

The United States called an impromptu meeting with the leaders of Japan, South Korea, Australia, New Zealand and Canada, hosted by U.S. Vice-President Kamala Harris.

Trudeau told his five colleagues that Canada will continue its role in a United Nations mission, called Operation Neon, to monitor sanctions on North Korea.

"Canada joins our allies in condemning in the strongest terms the continued, irresponsible actions of North Korea," he said.

Trudeau said the repeated missile launches "need to be condemned by all, in the region and around the world."

Canada's participation in the APEC gathering ended with a pledge of nearly $183 million in new funding over five years to strengthen ties to the region, part of the Indo-Pacific strategy the Liberals have finally started rolling out.

That includes $92.5 million to create about 60 new jobs, both at Canada's missions in the region and within Global Affairs Canada.

"This will increase Canada's presence here on the ground (and) deepen diplomatic ties to build and maintain the important relationships that we are creating," International Trade Minister Mary Ng said Friday.

There is also $45 million for trade missions and about $32 million to set up Canada's first agricultural office.

Before Trudeau was pulled aside to discuss North Korea's move with other leaders, he announced that Ottawa will spend $13.5 million to launch a team in Canada and Asia to form energy partnerships.

"The need for clean energy and green infrastructure is also growing at a rapid pace here in the Indo-Pacific," Trudeau said in his opening remarks at the news conference before taking questions from reporters.

"As the world moves towards net zero, there is enormous potential to grow our ties in the natural resources sector."

While Trudeau previously spoke about expanding natural gas exports to Japan and Korea, his office said he also wants to exchange natural resources with India, Australia, Indonesia, Singapore, and Taiwan.

The new funding is part of the Indo-Pacific strategy that the Liberals have started gradually rolling out, after promising one for years.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/trudea ... -1.6656115
It's that special time of year when conservatives stupidly act like they're not allowed to say Merry Christmas.

George Orwell was a socialist.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

Catsumi wrote: Nov 18th, 2022, 10:14 am

See above

:up: :up:
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
nucksRnum1
Lord of the Board

Post by nucksRnum1 »

Great.....10 more pages of quote of quote of quote of quote nonsense. By the same ole same ole.

Return to “Canada”