Boycott Arizona

Al Czervic
Guru

Re: Boycott Arizona

Post by Al Czervic »

Nibs wrote:
Al Czervic wrote:The amount of resources spent on the US Border patrol is simply massive. They have helicopters, quads, horses, trucks, cars, vans, boats, planes…and huge amounts of staff

I heard it said, by an American, that "they can't even keep drugs out of jails, never mind keeping people out of the country"

We were in Ajo Az some years back when a kid driving a pickup load of pot was run off the road by the border patrol and was killed, the next day I happened to speak with a border patrol officer, who was absolutely heart stricken by this kids death and was going to leave the service. He was really depressed and asked me "for what did we kill this kid?"

From my perspective the United States efforts to fight illegal immigration is not unlike our Canadian efforts to fight marijuana…or me trying to fight dandelions in my lawn during the spring…(without using roundup of course) the missus, rest her sole, never allowed pesticides on the property. A tradition I still uphold to this day in her departed honor…
Back with a vengeance
averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Post by averagejoe »

I guess the boycotters of Arizona won the border wars as the border is wide open according to this article from fox news.

EXCLUSIVE: Arizona Sheriff Cites Flood of Border Agents Confirming Feds' No-Apprehension Policy.

Upper management has advised supervisors to have agents ‘turn back South’ (TBS) the illegal aliens (aka bodies) they detect attempting to unlawfully enter the country … at times you even hear supervisors order the agents over the radio to 'TBS' the aliens instead of catching them,” one San Diego border agent wrote in an email to Cochise County Sheriff Larry Dever.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/04/19/ar ... on-policy/
Ecclesiastes 10:2 A wise man's heart is at his right hand; but a fool's heart at his left.

Thor Heyerdahl Says: “Our lack of knowledge about our own past is appalling.
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

I really don't think this has anything to do with the original post. It was about people already in the state being detained and asked for proof they were legal citizens, not people caught sneaking across the border. I actually can't see much difference between detaining someone coming across or turning them back south. In both cases they are stoping them from entering the state. I would think the argument would be that TBS would be a lot less time and resource consuming, hence less expensive but the objective is indentical. Stop them from entering the state.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
Al Czervic
Guru

Post by Al Czervic »

Smurf wrote:I really don't think this has anything to do with the original post. It was about people already in the state being detained and asked for proof they were legal citizens, not people caught sneaking across the border. I actually can't see much difference between detaining someone coming across or turning them back south. In both cases they are stoping them from entering the state. I would think the argument would be that TBS would be a lot less time and resource consuming, hence less expensive but the objective is indentical. Stop them from entering the state.

There is a difference, those who are formally detained can request a form of “asylum” – they can also get medical attention while they are “in custody” as well. Those who are sent directly back are entitled obviously to none of the above…although I do agree with you, it is getting somewhat off topic but it is an interesting one and since taking up a residence down there I have learned a fair bit about this particular problem.
Back with a vengeance
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

I understand Al, I have been going down on and off every winter since 2004 and have seen lots of what goes on. We have spent time in Texas, New Mexico, Arizona and California along the border. We do lots of 4x4ing in the border areas so have seen a great deal. You have to be there, read local papers, talk to locals including Mexicans to realy understand. I have actually had conversations with illegals in Mexico about going across the border, being caught and sent back. It is a huge problem.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
Al Czervic
Guru

Post by Al Czervic »

Smurf wrote:I understand Al, I have been going down on and off every winter since 2004 and have seen lots of what goes on. We have spent time in Texas, New Mexico, Arizona and California along the border. We do lots of 4x4ing in the border areas so have seen a great deal. You have to be there, read local papers, talk to locals including Mexicans to realy understand. I have actually had conversations with illegals in Mexico about going across the border, being caught and sent back. It is a huge problem.

I don’t 4x4 but I know there is some really amazing sand dunes west of Yuma, and pretty much right in front of the border. It is nice country down there for certain. If I was to take up 4x4 and ATV action that is a place I would love to do it.
Back with a vengeance
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Post by I Think »

You guys are talking about Glamis, dunes. I used to go there in the early '80's. A very common thing then was to ride across the sand to a restaurant in Mexico, for breakfast, then ride back. No Border patrol in site, now the Patrol is watching, I guess it was too easy to put a crash helmet on an illegal put him into a dune buggy, then stash him/them in an enclosed trailer and join the thousands of similar trailers headed into Yuma, San Diego etc.
In my mind, protecting your border is not such a bad thing (though it should not be necessary), but targeting folks, in the US, who look/are hispanic is just wrong.
It is pretty clear that Jan Brewer is having to re-think her goals, given her recent veto actions.
We're lost but we're making good time.

Return to “World”