peaceseeker
Lord of the Board

Re: WikiLeaks releases 'Afghan War Diary, 2004-2010'

Post by peaceseeker »

WikiLeaks and the U.S. Press
Media resistance to exposure of government secrets
7/30/10
http://www.fair.org/index.php?page=4128
"I think our society is run by insane people for insane objectives...I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends...but I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it."
~ John Lennon
Pesky
Fledgling

Post by Pesky »

http://www.ctvbc.ctv.ca/servlet/an/loca ... lumbiaHome

10 suicide bombers were wiped out today in a daylight attack on Kandahar Air Base. They launched two rockets and then tried to rush at the base to blow themselves up. They were quickly dispatched by the NATO defenders with little harm done. If only it could all be this easy - let all the crazies commit suicide by running right at a heavily fortified base trying to blow themselves up - eventually they'd run out of crazies and maybe they could populate that part of the world with people who just want to live normal lives. But that's just too much to ask. I wonder how the spin-doctor clowns at Wikileaks are going to portray this event. What a senseless waste of human life. What a stupid way to die. The sad part is these fools probably all left wives and children behind, who now are doomed to an extremely horrible existence without the main food provider.
peaceseeker
Lord of the Board

Post by peaceseeker »

emphasis added...

Veterans and Military Families: Pentagon Statements on WikiLeaks Cloud Real Issues
http://accuracy.org/newsrelease.php?articleId=2304
August 3, 2010

Three organizations representing veterans and military families have released a joint statement on the Pentagon's response to the Afghanistan WikiLeaks documents. They said today: "Obama administration officials are trying to spin events in their favor. On the one hand, in an effort to downplay the significance of the release, we are told the documents contain no new information. On the other hand, some high-ranking members of the U.S. military are trying to: 1) intimidate anyone else from doing the same thing, and 2) turn public opinion against whoever leaked the current documents. A more damning statement could hardly be imagined than this one from Admiral Mullen, Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, 'The truth is they might already have on their hands the blood of some young soldier or that of an Afghan family.'

"As veterans and families with members in the military, we consider statements like Admiral Mullen's to be nothing more than calculated attempts to turn public attention away from the real problem -- the ongoing occupation of Afghanistan that has already caused the deaths and injuries of many thousands of innocent people ... while millions of Americans are jobless and face foreclosure or eviction.

"This suffering in Afghanistan and this bleeding at home will continue as long as our troops remain in that country. Congress must stop funding this war. We must bring our troops home now, take care of them properly when they return and pay to rebuild the damage we have caused to Afghanistan."

Interviews are available with representatives of the groups that issued the statement:

MIKE FERNER - [email protected]
President of Veterans for Peace.

DEBORAH FORTER - [email protected]
National Director of Military Families Speak Out.

JOSE VASQUEZ - [email protected]
Executive Director of Iraq Veterans Against the War.

For more information, contact at the Institute for Public Accuracy:
Sam Husseini, (202) 347-0020
"I think our society is run by insane people for insane objectives...I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends...but I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it."
~ John Lennon
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

WikiLeaks must be stopped

Let's be clear: WikiLeaks is not a news organization; it is a criminal enterprise. Its reason for existence is to obtain classified national security information and disseminate it as widely as possible -- including to the United States' enemies.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... inionsbox1
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
quietlywatching84
Übergod

Post by quietlywatching84 »

Captain Awesome wrote:WikiLeaks must be stopped

Let's be clear: WikiLeaks is not a news organization; it is a criminal enterprise. Its reason for existence is to obtain classified national security information and disseminate it as widely as possible -- including to the United States' enemies.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... inionsbox1

I heard the pentagon is going to shoot golf balls and garbage at the wikileak to stop the flow of information.
Silence is golden and duct tape is silver.
WhatThe

Post by WhatThe »

As I understand , these documents come from soldiers themselves, and the source disseminating this information has held back what might be considered sensitive information. I think it said 15,000 of the 90 odd thousand were withheld for personnel safety.

If this is the case i don't really see the problem, though I'm not an expert. However From the govt perspective, there's one thing most damaging to a war effort, and thats the truth.
Mark5
Board Meister

Post by Mark5 »

What Assange did was akin to releasing classified police reports that show who helped them bring down criminals, putting the lives of the informants in danger of retribution.
Bagotricks
Lord of the Board

Post by Bagotricks »

I love how the pentagon cant handle the internet. The information is out there, its been posted. Too bad, so sad.

How can the US military tell civilians in europe what to do anyways?

Terrorists have all those "combat reports" ( if they wanted them anyways ) now so what good is shutting down the website?

Wikileaks is not about putting troops in danger. Wikileaks is about making the truth be known.

Best thing to happen to the planet since the internet.

Apperently now that the pentagon is making threats to Wikileaks, a very large file appeared on Wikileaks titled "Insurance". People are saying that if they try to shut the site down, the "Insurance" file will go public. I wonder what the pentagon could be afraid of?

I love it!
Last edited by Bagotricks on Aug 6th, 2010, 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bagotricks
Lord of the Board

Post by Bagotricks »

Twitter post from Wikileaks about what the Pentagon said :

What we didn't hear from the Pentagon last week: "killing all those innocent people is bad. Sorry. We will stop that" 6:27 AM Aug 5th

Again, I love it.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Mark5 wrote:What Assange did was akin to releasing classified police reports that show who helped them bring down criminals, putting the lives of the informants in danger of retribution.

Who cares about people getting killed when it's all about THE TRUTH!
Bejvas
Lord of the Board

Post by Bejvas »

the truth is that lots of innocent people are getting killed for no reasonable reason but to keep North America in "good" standing economical conditions

Captain Awesome wrote:
Mark5 wrote:What Assange did was akin to releasing classified police reports that show who helped them bring down criminals, putting the lives of the informants in danger of retribution.

Who cares about people getting killed when it's all about THE TRUTH!
"Just because you're angry, it doesn't mean you have the right to be cruel."
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Bejvas wrote:the truth is that lots of innocent people are getting killed for no reasonable reason but to keep North America in "good" standing economical conditions

... and?
Bejvas
Lord of the Board

Post by Bejvas »

who cares, right? as soon as we all drive our last model cars, live on great mansions with lake view and eat the best of the best - war is worth it, killing is worth it.

Captain Awesome wrote:
Bejvas wrote:the truth is that lots of innocent people are getting killed for no reasonable reason but to keep North America in "good" standing economical conditions

... and?
"Just because you're angry, it doesn't mean you have the right to be cruel."
Bagotricks
Lord of the Board

Post by Bagotricks »

Captain Awesome wrote:

... and?

...so when a criminal gang decides that they need to "increase their economic standing" by robbing your house, exploiting your family or worse - please dont whine.

Do you think that your somehow better or superior than "those" innocents that are being killed currently?
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Bagotricks wrote:...so when a criminal gang decides that they need to "increase their economic standing" by robbing your house, exploiting your family or worse - please dont whine.

I'm sure to you it's absolutely the same. Like your finger and AK-47.

Do you think that your somehow better or superior than "those" innocents that are being killed currently?

Hey, I'm just a fly on the wall. But between our soldiers and their soldiers, I'll aways pick ours.

Return to “World”