Toddler, run over twice and ignored

Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Re: Toddler, run over twice and ignored

Post by Fancy »

Infanticide in Canada has a maximum sentence of 5 years I think and yet some women won't face jail term because of technicalities in law and I read something about comparison to abortion and postpartum depression. Really sad.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
French Castanut
Lord of the Board

Post by French Castanut »

In Canada, just be wise, pay yourself a good lier and you can get away with no prison at all, even if you stabbed your 2 children over 50 times just to punish your ex-wife.

Take this example:

The story:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/ ... -0224.html

The sentence:
http://www.montrealgazette.com/news/Tur ... story.html
Vote C'Nutz for President of the Republic of BC May 14th!
process99
Board Meister

Post by process99 »

Let me just remind people here at home in Canada.

We are well protected by a Good Sumaritan Law in Canada, so should you ever see anyone in need of assistance and you can offer any you will not and cannot be prosicuted for your actions in rendering aid to anyone who needs it.

You are protected.

I cannot see the need to watch this video it seems pointless. I have seen the actions of MV vs PED many times in person and its terrible. Just remember when its real, DO THE RIGHT THING or CALL SOMEONE WHO CAN. Its just that simple and remember see above when doing so.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

People can sue and claim gross negligence which would then need to be proved.

http://www.bclaws.ca/EPLibraries/bclaws ... 0_96172_01
process99
Board Meister

Post by process99 »

Fancy wrote:People can sue and claim gross negligence which would then need to be proved.

http://www.bclaws.ca/EPLibraries/bclaws ... 0_96172_01

Someone with intent to injure would not be protected by this, so it does not apply.
They are different in many ways.

If I move the child away from the vehicle that was going to hit him/her, thereby causing more injury in the act of moving the child, even if the child dies , I am still protected. Don't be silly or you could find yourself at the end of a lawsuit for NOT RENDERING AID when neccarry.
That is not noble or normal in any way and is only done to further injury.
Not offering aid when able or required to do so is a crime.
Remember this is not the US or China, this is Canada.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

No kidding this is Canada. Unfortunately, lawsuits are started all the time whether inappropriate or not. This is a mindset that people have to ignore and do the right thing regardless what may happen down the road.
process99
Board Meister

Post by process99 »

Fancy wrote:No kidding this is Canada. Unfortunately, lawsuits are started all the time whether inappropriate or not. This is a mindset that people have to ignore and do the right thing regardless what may happen down the road.

Correct in all senses of the word correct. :)
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

Canadian law

In Quebec, which makes use of civil law, there is a general duty to rescue in its Charter of Rights: "Every human being whose life is in peril has a right to assistance...Every person must come to the aid of anyone whose life is in peril, either personally or calling for aid, by giving him the necessary and immediate physical assistance, unless it involves danger to himself or a third person, or he has another valid reason."[29] Criminal law in Canada is under the exclusive jurisdiction of the federal government, so failure to comply with an article of the Charter in Quebec does not constitute a criminal offence unless that by doing so a party also violates the Criminal Code of Canada.
Other provinces follow common law.
In Canadian air law it is mandatory to make yourself and your aircraft available to aid search and rescue efforts if you are in the immediate area a distress signal is received.[citation needed]

Common law

In the common law of the United States and other anglosphere countries, there is no general duty to come to the rescue of another.[1] Generally, a person cannot be held liable for doing nothing while another person is in peril.[2][3] However, such a duty may arise in two situations:
A duty to rescue arises where a person creates a hazardous situation. If another person then falls into peril because of this hazardous situation, the creator of the hazard – who may not necessarily have been a negligent tortfeasor – has a duty to rescue the individual in peril.[4]
Such a duty also arises where a "special relationship" exists. For example:
Emergency workers (firefighters, emergency medical technicians, etc.) have a general duty to rescue the public within the scope of their employment. The Supreme Court of the United States ruled in Warren v. DC that the police have no duty to protect any citizen not in custody, and cannot be sued for their failure to protect.[5]
Parents have a duty to rescue their minor children. This duty also applies to those acting in loco parentis, such as schools or babysitters.[6]
Common carriers have a duty to rescue their patrons.[7]
Employers have an obligation to rescue employees, under an implied contract theory.[8][unreliable source?]
Property owners have a duty to rescue invitees but not trespassers from all dangers on the property.
Spouses have a duty to rescue each other in all U.S. jurisdictions.[9]
In the United States, as of 2009 ten states had laws on the books requiring that people at least notify law enforcement of and/or seek aid for strangers in peril under certain conditions: California,[10][11] Florida,[10][12][13] Hawaii,[10][14] Massachusetts,[10][15] Minnesota,[10][16] Ohio,[10][17] Rhode Island,[10][18] Vermont,[10][19] Washington,[10][20][21] and Wisconsin.[10][22] These laws are also referred to as Good Samaritan laws, despite their difference from laws of the same name that protect individuals that try to help another person.[1] These laws are rarely applied, and are generally ignored by citizens and lawmakers.[1]
Where a duty to rescue arises, the rescuer must generally act with reasonable care, and can be held liable for injuries caused by a reckless rescue attempt. However, many states have limited or removed liability from rescuers in such circumstances, particularly where the rescuer is an emergency worker. Furthermore, the rescuer need not endanger himself in conducting the rescue.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duty_to_rescue
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Sn0man wrote:
Glacier wrote:You don't even have to go that far back. Until the law changed in 2002, American infants were legally strangled, suffocated, and left to die all the time. No one cared because these children weren't wanted just like this Chinese girl.

You can't just say something like that without quoting a source....

I thought it was common knowledge. This would not have been a crime pre-2002 (not sure that is a crime in Canada though).
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

Chinese toddler dies after being run over by van
Published On Fri Oct 21 2011
Associated Press

BEIJING—A toddler who was twice run over by vans and then ignored by passersby on a busy market street died Friday a week after the accident and after days of bitter soul-searching over declining morality in China.

The Guangzhou Military District General Hospital said that the 2-year-old girl, Wang Yue, died shortly after midnight of brain and organ failure. “Her injuries were too severe and the treatment had no effect,” intensive care unit director Su Lei told reporters.

The plight of the child, nicknamed Yueyue, came to symbolize what many Chinese see as a decay in public morals after heady decades of economic growth and rising prosperity.

Gruesome closed-circuit camera video of last Thursday’s accident, aired on television and posted on the Internet, showed Yueyue toddling along the hardware market street in the southern city of Foshan. A van strikes her, slows and then resumes driving, rolling its back right wheel over the child. As she lays with blood pooling, 18 people walk or cycle by and another van strikes her before a scrap picker scoops her up.

Yueyue’s death touched off another round of hand-wringing about society and personal responsibility. Many comments posted to social media sites said “we are all passersby.”

Li Xiangping, a professor of religion at Huadong University, said on a Twitter-like service that it is too easy to blame others. “What after all prompted such a sad phenomenon? Officials? The rich? Or is it our own cold-heartedness?” Li said on Sina Corp.’s Weibo.

Police have detained the drivers of both vans on suspicion of causing a traffic accident but have not said what formal charges they would face and if manslaughter would be among them now that the girl has died.

The people who could be seen on the video passing by the injured Yueyue have recounted being harassed for ignoring her. The respected Southern Metropolis Daily newspaper quoted a man it identified only as a hardware merchant Mr. Chen as saying that he had been receiving crank calls ever since someone picked him out as the 16th passerby. He said he hadn’t noticed the child.

Some experts said an unwillingness to help others is an outgrowth of urbanization as migrants pour into cities and create neighbourhoods of strangers.

“Rapid urbanization not only affects China or Foshan, but anywhere in the world where you have a lot of highrise buildings, where there is high population density, then the relationship with the neighbours, and with each other is affected,” said Yao Yue, a psychologist and director of telephone helpline for distressed people in Beijing.

http://www.thestar.com/news/world/artic ... y-van?bn=1
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Catz
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Catz »

I am surprised she lasted this long...poor thing.
I am still quite shocked about this...kinda wish I didn't watch the video.
I really hope they charge someone.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

The broadcasting of the circumstances surrouding this poor child's death has shown a lack of humanity and opened many eyes. If her death can encourage others to help others, then maybe her death has not been in vain.
French Castanut
Lord of the Board

Post by French Castanut »

And for people that says only China acts that way... well, indians or arabians are no better:

This is graphic as well:

Vote C'Nutz for President of the Republic of BC May 14th!
JJP
Fledgling

Post by JJP »

After reading all the posts on here and I have watched the video, I was heart broken the 1st time I heard about this happening. My husband and I talked about this tonight and he told me about how the law is down in China. It is is insane and after reading this story about why they are like this, makes so much sense. With not being from there or have never been there I would not think twice about helping out.
My husband told me about an American who was there visiting there and had seen someone hurt, as he went to go and help out the hurt person his friends grabbed him and told him not to.
After reading the article and realizing that it has happened in America I can see why people would think twice about helping when people now a days seem to sue of the smallest things. Case in point a lady suing because a movie trailer made her believe that the movie was about driving.
So here is the article my husband show me and let you all be the judge. Not everyone will agree with how they handle things but like it said what did the homeless lady have to lose. If you help some one and in the end get blamed for it actually happening and they sue you would you in a weird and messed up way possibly think about your family 1st. Sucks and it is very very sad but so many would think of their own 1st.
I am not posting this to start a all out rage on it but after reading this makes me think about it a lot more than to judge!

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/opinion/20 ... 794724.htm
aginger1
Board Meister

Post by aginger1 »

Puffy wrote:That is probably THE most DISGUSTING thing I have EVER seen in my life. :ohmygod:

I cant even watch it Puffy....knowing what its gonna be. Just knowing that they are like that in China is absolutley disgusting. Im sure glad there is Karma, because those horrible monsters that just walked by are gonna pay in one way or another. :eyeballspin:

Return to “World”