And the hatred continues

Nom_de_Plume
Guru

And the hatred continues

Post by Nom_de_Plume »

I wasn't sure whether to put this in the religion forum or world
Mod's feel free to move it if you decide on a good place.
Between this story(below) and the Jessica Ahlquist one Atheists rest their case.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/asia-pacific/indonesian-atheist-attacked-charged-with-blasphemy-after-denying-gods-existence-on-facebook/2012/01/21/gIQAncASFQ_story.html
Indonesian police say a civil servant who posted “God does not exist” on Facebook faces a maximum penalty of five years behind bars for blasphemy.

Thirty-one-year-old Alexander Aan was taken into police custody Friday after his remarks triggered public outcry in West Sumatra province.
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
~ Terry Pratchett
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Re: And the hatred continues

Post by Bsuds »

Why can't people just agree to let everyone believe what they want and quit trying to convert to what they think!
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Nom_de_Plume
Guru

Post by Nom_de_Plume »

Bsuds wrote:Why can't people just agree to let everyone believe what they want and quit trying to convert to what they think!

I agree unfortunately the world doesn't work that way.
one can only "turn the other cheek" for so long.
I know for me, I don't discuss (and only when asked) my belief system with anyone unless I know them very very well.
But this is something I watched my parents deal with and this is why I handle it the way I do.
For those who haven't experienced it first hand they don't realize what sort of things can be said and how heated it can all get in a matter of mere seconds once a differing religious philosophy is exposed.
It's crazy.
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
~ Terry Pratchett
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

That's why I avoid conversations about Politics and Religion! Both can get heated very fast.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
TyrianQuill
Board Meister

Post by TyrianQuill »

The first time I heard this I had to stop the car, I wept and wept.

It's a very special message many never get ...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1zgT95hx74&feature=related[/youtube]

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place (George Bernard Shaw)
cutter7
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by cutter7 »

The first thing that came to mind when I read this was, what was he thinking? I know the reaction a statement like that would cause and I don't live there.

Return to “World”