History in Pictures

History in Pictures

Postby Glacier » Jan 20th, 2014, 5:36 pm

The last known photo of the Titanic, taken as the ship was leaving Queenstown, Ireland on April 12th, 1912.

A letter from Gandhi to Hitler, written in July 1939.
“Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die”

2 people like this post.
Glacier
Admiral HMS Castanet

Liked in: 11966 posts

Re: History in Pictures

Postby renedarling » Feb 11th, 2014, 1:50 am

Beautiful History pictures, thanks
renedarling

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Glacier » Feb 11th, 2014, 2:18 pm

Here is another Titanic picture. 20 Clydesdale horses pull the 16-ton Titanic anchor, c. 1911.

Here's another one showing commuters reading the paper the day after JFK was assassinated.

Here's another one... Samurai photographed in front of the Sphinx, Egypt, 1864.
Glacier
Admiral HMS Castanet

Postby Casus Belli » Feb 17th, 2014, 11:41 pm

Any backstory to the samurai/sphinx photo?

Thanks
Casus Belli

Liked in: 18 posts

Postby Glacier » Feb 18th, 2014, 10:05 pm

The mission's aim was to persuade France to agree to the closing of the port of Yokohama to foreign trade, and allow Japan to retreat into isolation once more. The mission inevitably failed. In 1864, en route to Paris, the Ikeda mission visited Egypt. The stay was memorialised in one of nineteenth-century photography's most extraordinary images — the embassy's members, dressed in winged kamishimo costume and jingasa hats, carrying their feared long (katana) and short (wakizashi) swords, standing before the Giza Sphinx. Picture taken by Antonio Beato (after 1832 — 1906).

In the early 1860s, a large number of cattle and sheep drovers took up land along the cattle trail to the Cariboo. Inevitably the first land taken was within a short drive to the Cariboo goldfields.

This was primarily because the drovers wanted an area close to the markets where they could winter or hold their cattle until prices were at their best. The first activity was in the bunchgrass ranges along the Bonaparte River, the last area of ample grazing before the Cariboo. As early as 1859, Commander R.C. Mayne of the Royal Navy reported, “There is much good land along the Bonaparte; the whole being clothed with long grass of which the horses seemed very fond.”

cornwallranch-Ashcroft-1962.jpg

In the same time period, a number of settlers took up land in the area around Fort Kamloops because of its proximity to the fort as a supply centre, and because of its central location. As usual, Hudson’s Bay Company employees, who were experienced veterans of the country, were quick to take advantage of the availability of land. In the next few years, the ranges around Kamloops were busy with numerous land pre-emptions. The grasslands between Kamloops and Cache Creek, particularly on the south side of Kamloops Lake, attracted settlers as well.

Because of its distance from markets, the Okanagan Valley was slower to attract white setters than the areas near the Thompson River. Initial activity centred around the mission established by the Catholic Oblate priests halfway up the east side of Okanagan Lake. This was an area of extensive bunchgrass that was well watered by creeks running through it and by the lake itself.

ellisranch-okanagan-1869.jpg

The country lying west of the Fraser River, known as the Chilcotin after the Native people who lived there, promised little for the gold seekers and was initially ignored. For years the miners headed east from the Fraser, leaving the land west of the river to the warlike Chilcotin people and occasional exploration parties seeking an easy route to the coast. But the packers and drovers of the gold rush days looked with interest across the Fraser at the vast grasslands stretching westward from the junction of the Fraser and Chilcotin Rivers. Unfortunately, the Fraser River presented a serious barrier to the movement of cattle from east of the river into the Cariboo goldfields, especially as there were no ferries.

tmeldrum-c1860.jpg

The Chilcotin area, therefore, had very few ranches during the 1860s. Thomas Meldrum has the distinction of being the first white man to settle in the Chilcotin in 1866, when he followed a trail down the Fraser’s west side from Soda Creek and took up land in a little valley known today as the Meldrum Valley. About the same time, L.W. Riske and brothers Sam and Ed Withrow took up land along a stream they named Riske Creek. By the end of the 1860s, Thomas Hance and Benjamin Franklin “Doc” English had established themselves 45 miles up the Chilcotin River from the Fraser where the Hanceville Post Office was established in 1889.

In 1873, a section of land running from the junction of the Chilcotin and Fraser Rivers to a point five miles below the junction of Alexis Creek and the Chilcotin River was declared open for pre-emption under the provisions of the Land Ordinance of 1870. Access to the Chilcotin in the early days was by ferry at Alexandria and later from Soda Creek, which was the main supply centre for the area west of the Fraser. Settlement followed the accessible parts of the lower Chilcotin River and the Chilcotin road. Land was first taken up in the Riske Creek area, which had extensive bunchgrass ranges, and then land was pre-empted further up the Chilcotin River.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Glacier
Admiral HMS Castanet

Postby Casus Belli » Feb 26th, 2014, 1:57 am

Thanks Glacier!

averagejoe likes this post.
Casus Belli

Liked in: 18 posts

Postby grammafreddy » Feb 26th, 2014, 12:35 pm

Good stuffs, Glacier. Gots more?
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.

averagejoe likes this post.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Liked in: 796 posts

Postby Glacier » Feb 27th, 2014, 5:12 pm

Jerusalem_1890s.jpg

IndianPakistan.jpg

Alincoln.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Glacier
Admiral HMS Castanet

Postby GordonH » Feb 27th, 2014, 5:42 pm

It's appears the US civil war caused a great deal of stress on Lincoln, comparing to photo.
When you have to start compromising yourself and your morals for the people around you, it’s probably time to change the people around you. John Spence

Bpeep likes this post.
GordonH
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 8720 posts
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Postby logicalview » Feb 28th, 2014, 2:00 pm

look at most presidents when they are first elected and when they leave office, they all look like they aged far more than 8 years. But I would say Lincoln was under more stress than most presidents, that's for sure.
Not afraid to say "It".

Bpeep likes this post.
logicalview
Guru

Liked in: 1928 posts

Postby Glacier » Feb 28th, 2014, 2:16 pm

They say that presidents age twice as fast while in office because of the stress. Here are some of the more recent presidents (beginning and end). I think that both Bushes really aged a lot.

Obama (first term)

Bush

Clinton

Bush

Reagan

Carter

Johnson

Eisenhower

Roosevelt
Glacier
Admiral HMS Castanet

Postby Glacier » Jun 3rd, 2014, 1:15 pm

Playing hockey in Williams Lake in the 1940s.

hockeyWL.jpg
Glacier
Admiral HMS Castanet

Postby Glacier » Apr 25th, 2016, 11:06 am

Hope Slide, January 9th, 1965...

Glacier
Admiral HMS Castanet

Postby Glacier » Nov 30th, 2018, 10:03 am

Swimming horses across the Fraser River at Big Bar 1899. No life jackets or nothing.

fraser1899.jpg
Glacier
Admiral HMS Castanet

Postby Glacier » Feb 20th, 2019, 3:50 pm

Ice fishing on Lac La Hache in 1939...

LacLaHache2.jpg
Glacier
Admiral HMS Castanet

Return to World