How many sexes are there

Jflem1983
Guru

How many sexes are there

Post by Jflem1983 »

Vancouver says it is a gender inclusive city . Whatever that means . So my question is how many genders are there
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
OhMyDarlin
Fledgling

Re: How many sexes are there

Post by OhMyDarlin »

Sparki55
Guru

Post by Sparki55 »

Jflem1983 wrote:Vancouver says it is a gender inclusive city . Whatever that means . So my question is how many genders are there

There are two.
I will be optimistic this is not a serious post. Many people who will try to inform you otherwise. They are not correct, however they are entitled to their own opinion. If imagining a world where there are 101 genders brings peace to their life then I say let them imagine it. I will openly disagree with them when trying to push their ideology forcefully onto others.
d0nb
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by d0nb »

Jflem1983 wrote:Vancouver says it is a gender inclusive city . Whatever that means . So my question is how many genders are there

That's good to hear. We were all wondering when Vancouver would take a stand. :130:

Much like race, gender is a social construct, whereas sex is biological. There are only two sexes but many genders.
The biggest problem of censorship is that it tends to be the last resort of the ideologically arrogant and intellectually lazy … A day spent in defense of freedom of speech is a day spent in the company of bigots and hate mongers. – Omid Malekan
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

d0ob I always took you to be a complete and utter conservative, this is a revelation for me that you'd post that.

Of course you're right, I suspect many will disagree with us.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

There are two sexes. As for gender, there are only two as well until all the online dictionaries get updated ;-)

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/gender

gen·der
ˈjendər/
noun
the state of being male or female (typically used with reference to social and cultural differences rather than biological ones).
"traditional concepts of gender"
synonyms: sex
"variables included age, income, and gender"

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/gender

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/diction ... ish/gender

http://www.learnersdictionary.com/definition/gender
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
A_Britishcolumbian
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by A_Britishcolumbian »

'two sexes' is indeed a 'traditional' concept.
biologically there are a number of chromosonal 'sexes'.
there is the 'traditional' xx females, and the 'traditional' xy males.
there is as well xyy 'super males'
xxy people that can be seemingly either or both or even neither in the case of individuals that are infertile.
i think there are even some single x folks, but i am not sure on that.
I'm not worried what I say, if they see it now or they see it later, I said it. If you don't know maybe that would hurt you, I don't know. You should know though, so you don't get hurt, so you know what side to be on when it happens.
T.Tsarnaev
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

I'm assuming these x's and o's . Are still men or women though . They might have parts broken or not working . But they would still be a man or a woman . I think every city in the world is gender inclusive . Full of people all of them .
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Jlabute wrote:There are two sexes. As for gender, there are only two as well until all the online dictionaries get updated ;-)

The following comes from one of the links you posted.
a similar category of human beings that is outside the male/female binary classification and is based on the individual's personal awareness or identity.
See also third gender
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

There are a lot of interesting articles out there.
Gender, typically described in terms of masculinity and femininity, is a social construction that varies across different cultures and over time. (6) There are a number of cultures, for example, in which greater gender diversity exists and sex and gender are not always neatly divided along binary lines such as male and female or homosexual and heterosexual. The Berdache in North America, the fa’afafine (Samoan for “the way of a woman”) in the Pacific, and the kathoey in Thailand are all examples of different gender categories that differ from the traditional Western division of people into males and females. Further, among certain North American native communities, gender is seen more in terms of a continuum than categories, with special acknowledgement of “two-spirited” people who encompass both masculine and feminine qualities and characteristics. It is apparent, then, that different cultures have taken different approaches to creating gender distinctions, with more or less recognition of fluidity and complexity of gender.

http://www.who.int/genomics/gender/en/index1.html

https://www.genome.gov/19519068/
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

If not a man or a woman . Are they not just shaved apes.

Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Jflem1983 wrote:If not a man or a woman . Are they not just shaved apes.
Different species.
whatwhat
Lord of the Board

Post by whatwhat »

Jflem1983 wrote:I'm assuming these x's and o's . Are still men or women though . They might have parts broken or not working . But they would still be a man or a woman . I think every city in the world is gender inclusive . Full of people all of them .

You are mixing up gender and sex.
    Sex is biological differences. So things such as chromosomes, and sex organs.

Gender is the characteristics society or culture presents as masculine or feminine. Such as blue=boy and pink=girl.
hail Satan y'all

Return to “World”