Another solar power scam goes bust

Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Re: Another solar power scam goes bust

Post by Queen K »

In regards to the neighbours subsidizing you and your solar system: an argument going that way can quickly turn into what you are subsidizing for them ie: the healthcare route being the major one I can think of right off the top of my head, but I'm sure there are other examples.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

Queen K wrote:In regards to the neighbours subsidizing you and your solar system: an argument going that way can quickly turn into what you are subsidizing for them ie: the healthcare route being the major one I can think of right off the top of my head, but I'm sure there are other examples.

Indeed, we're all in this together, which is why I fully support sharing the community costs of health care and education and infrastructure.

That doesn't mean I'm prepared to intentionally take greater advantage of others in a way that solely profits my household, at the expense of theirs.

It simply doesn't seem cricket for me to take from my neighbours' pockets to better line my own, or to make it more difficult for those struggling to get food on their tables by redirecting much-needed resources away from their tables and onto my rooftop.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

Queen K wrote:They expect their project to pay itself off in seven years. What they get in credits selling electricity back to the BC Hydro they expect to offset their Winter electrical bills. Their solar panels also will charge their Volt.

I am so impressed with them.

If I had a roof top that was orientated properly and a house beside me that wasn't taller, I would consider this system.

See, this is part of what I mean. They're using the grid everyone else helps to maintain to reduce their own expenses.

Personally, I could never feel good about that.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

I can't go over there and ask them to feel bad either. They've figured it out. What they aren't using is being sold elsewhere.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

Queen K wrote:I can't go over there and ask them to feel bad either. They've figured it out. What they aren't using is being sold elsewhere.

I wouldn't ask them to feel bad, either. Just sayin' it doesn't seem right to me, so it wouldn't be something I'd do.

I've lived off-grid, for various reasons at different times, but always entirely at my own expense. Never had to choose between having others (regardless of their circumstances) subsidize my energy use "to save the planet", or simply paying my own way.

We do live in interesting times.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#204167

And another success story in the solar industry. Seems some wineries are taking in the solar panel industry with open arms. They are creating a product, bed and breakfast service, and driving the industry in the tourism trade. Should they feel "bad" about providing shade for vehicles and harvesting the solar energy for their systems?

Swiss Solar has this to say:

He indicated that they have turned away jobs, because there is more customers than they can handle.

“We are expanding and hiring people,” he said, noting it can be difficult to find talent because they often stop work for two to three months in the winter."

I say, good for every business and outlet out there for recognizing that the sun hits your freaking roof every sunny day we have.

If my own house was better situated, and it isn't, I'd be installing them too.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

Queen K wrote:https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-story-204167-21-.htm#204167

And another success story in the solar industry. Seems some wineries are taking in the solar panel industry with open arms. They are creating a product, bed and breakfast service, and driving the industry in the tourism trade. Should they feel "bad" about providing shade for vehicles and harvesting the solar energy for their systems?

Swiss Solar has this to say:

He indicated that they have turned away jobs, because there is more customers than they can handle.

“We are expanding and hiring people,” he said, noting it can be difficult to find talent because they often stop work for two to three months in the winter."

I say, good for every business and outlet out there for recognizing that the sun hits your freaking roof every sunny day we have.

If my own house was better situated, and it isn't, I'd be installing them too.

Gee, should they feel bad? Well, I suppose that's up to them.

Are these solar panels subsidized by the taxpayer? I know I, personally, would feel bad if I was using the money of those who can't afford solar panels to reduce my own costs. IMO, it's pretty elitist to use taxpayers' money to buy something expensive for myself, to enrich my own bottom line. And I'd feel worse if I was taking advantage of a contract that forced an energy provider to pay me for the power I'm producing whether or not they need it, as has happened in other jurisdictions, driving up the cost of power for those who cannot afford solar panels. That just doesn't seem cricket to me.

Are these wineries doing either of these things (using other peoples' money or driving up the cost of energy for those who can't afford solar), or are they merely providing shade and harvesting energy for their own systems? I wouldn't feel bad about providing shade for people or harvesting energy for my own system, provided I was paying my own way. I'd still feel bad about the environmental destruction that resulted from the panels' manufacture and disposal, though.

But hey, that's just me, thinking it's more important for me to be mindful of those who are less fortunate and the environment than it is to be all "in" with the hip green crowd. Not saying everyone else has to prioritize what I prioritize, so I'll leave it to others to judge who should feel "bad" and who shouldn't. Whether or not anyone ought to feel bad for taking advantage of subsidies and using taxpayer money that could be put to better use, or causing pollution through the manufacturing and disposal process, is entirely up to them.

Return to “World”