Comments on memes/cartoons/videos

Poindexter
Guru

Re: Comments on memes/cartoons

Post by Poindexter »

I get how it currently works but you can't deny that the Republicans have it rigged to their benefit.
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Poindexter wrote:I get how it currently works but you can't deny that the Republicans have it rigged to their benefit.

You sound like Trump. It's not rigged. The system has been set up long before anyone thought about rigging.

Now, that said, it does seem to favour the Republicans, but only 4 times over the past 200 years.

Here are some interesting things I've just learned.
1) It has happened 5 times in US history.
2) The Republican won in the past 4. The first all 4 candidates were from the same party (Republican-Democrat).
3) In 1876 Rutherford B. Hayes won even though the other candidate won not just a plurality, but a majority of the votes. This is the only time in US history this has happened.
4) There might be one exception to the Democrat losing, and that's 1960 when Kennedy beat Nixon. The result was so close that Kennedy might have lost the popular vote.

electionresults.png
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

I can guarantee you that if it didn't favour the Republicans they would have changed it. They don't want a fair elections as we've seen with gerrymandering.

Should be interesting to see if the Supreme Court does anything to fix how Republicans have cooked the books. Does makes one realize why the theft of Merrick Garland's appointment to the court was so important to the GOP.

The GOP scored 33 more seats in the House this election even though Democrats earned a million more votes in House races. Professor Jeremy Mayer says gerrymandering distorts democracy.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.washing ... mandering/
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Poindexter wrote:I can guarantee you that if it didn't favour the Republicans they would have changed it. They don't want a fair elections as we've seen with gerrymandering.

You are in dangerous territory when you get to change the election process to make your party win. Very dangerous. That's why Democrats haven't touched it when they had a majority.

As for the need to redaw boundaries, sure, Obama might be right, maybe it should be done, but that has nothing to do with the presidential boundaries since they are along state lines.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

The GOP has had no problem with redrawing the boundaries and suppressing votes when it works in their favour. Hasn't been dangerous for them, in fact, it's worked rather well.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Perhaps so. I haven't read up on it so I take your word on it. I'm just talking about the presidential electoral college process where gerrymandering is not possible.
- Douglas Murray
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

Glacier wrote:Perhaps so. I haven't read up on it so I take your word on it. I'm just talking about the presidential electoral college process where gerrymandering is not possible.

I think if the shoe were on the other foot and it had favoured the Dems the last 4 times, the electoral college would be a thing of the past. I will give the Republicans credit that despite being horrible at governing, as modern history has shown, they are much better at politics and getting themselves elected, also as modern history has shown.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Poindexter wrote:
Glacier wrote:Perhaps so. I haven't read up on it so I take your word on it. I'm just talking about the presidential electoral college process where gerrymandering is not possible.

I think if the shoe were on the other foot and it had favoured the Dems the last 4 times, the electoral college would be a thing of the past. I will give the Republicans credit that despite being horrible at governing, as modern history has shown, they are much better at politics and getting themselves elected, also as modern history has shown.

Combined--Control_of_the_U.S._House_of_Representatives_-_Control_of_the_U.S._Senate.png

^^ NOT A MEME! Nope, we are discussing memes. lol. Click to expand.

EDIT: Check out this link: The Republican Majority in Congress Is an Illusion
- Douglas Murray
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

Even expanded I'm going to need my reading glasses for that graph, will have to take your word for it. :D
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Sep 22nd, 2017, 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off topic
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Sep 22nd, 2017, 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: response to off topic post
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

Glacier wrote:
hugh.jpg

“don’t objectify women” liberal logic? Does that mean it is conservative ideology to objectify women?
What makes you think the crowd in that second photo is liberal?
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Omnitheo wrote:
Glacier wrote:
hugh.jpg

“don’t objectify women” liberal logic? Does that mean it is conservative ideology to objectify women?
What makes you think the crowd in that second photo is liberal?

All good questions. I posted the meme and then thought of some of these objections as well. I suppose the embracing of Hugh and the sexual revolution in general is seen as a liberal movement since it was in response to the puritanical conservative view of sex. Of course, the meme falls apart when you realize that there are different kinds of "liberals." The 3rd wave feminists are more puritanical while other liberally minded folks are more likely to emphasize sexual freedom.
- Douglas Murray
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

This is so true. Every time the liberal people use these events to go on their lunatic maniacal rants, their ratings go down. Guess what, no one wants to hear your liberal propaganda at these shows and sporting events. They just want to watch football and see a bunch of Hollywood celebrities get awards. We get it, you hate Trump. You hate anyone in the White House who isn't a Democrat. And it's been that way since the 1960's. Yawn.
Last edited by The Green Barbarian on Oct 1st, 2017, 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Trump didn't defeat the left here. Rather, the left defeated itself by being stupid and going too far again.

- Douglas Murray

Return to “World”