Buddha of the Board

Paper pulp . no trees used

Post by maryjane48 »

GenesisGT
Guru

Re: Paper pulp . no trees used

Post by GenesisGT »

I wonder if they have to clear cut the forest to grow more hay. :D
You can see the past but cannot go there, you cannot see the future but you can go there.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Since the process uses straw, which is what is left behind during grain production. Of course the problem being is straw is used on many farms as bedding, on other farms sawdust is used (those closer to sawmills).

Hay is far to valuable as feed on farms, very doubtful to have it used for anything else.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

Interesting. Must be short fiber material as they mentioned it would be used for tissue, and the like. Cottonwood, aspen and other deciduous trees are good for that material.
For writing paper and newsprint, the long fibers of conifers are preferred. ( waste wood from sawmills that are chipped)
I am not wealthy but I am rich
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

Not sure, but I would assume (there's that word) that the farmers are burning the straw in situ. That returns some of the nutrients to the soil. Better still, the straw should be composted and returned to the soil. Soil is not an inexhaustible resource.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

I have friends (really!) in South Africa that make beautiful paper out of elephant dung. :) http://www.bbc.com/news/business-36162953
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein

Return to “World”