Climate change

Omnitheo
Guru

Climate change causing depleted oxygen in ocean

Post by Omnitheo »

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/technology/ ... -1.3985933

The oxygen content in the world's oceans has decreased by more than two per cent in the past 50 years and could decrease by seven per cent by 2100, a new study shows.

The study, conducted at the GEOMAR Helmholtz Centre for Ocean Research in Keil, Germany, is being called the the first in-depth study of global ocean oxygen content, examining how global warming is impacting oceanic oxygen and why it is a concern.

After studying 50 years of data, researchers found the greatest volume of oxygen losses had occurred in the North Pacific, while the largest percentage loss was in the Arctic Ocean.

The main cause for the drop in oceanic oxygen is climate change, they say, specifically rising water temperatures.

Warmer water temperatures account for 15 per cent of oxygen loss, the researchers found, the majority from reduced stratification — when surface water doesn't sink to the ocean floor — caused by changing temperatures in the Arctic and the melting of sea ice.
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: Climate change causing depleted oxygen in ocean

Post by GordonH »

I've mentioned Dead Zones on this forum few times over the years, with little to no response.
http://oceanservice.noaa.gov/facts/deadzone.html

It is serious matter, is it a climate change thing or just what happens on this planet in normal regular cycle. Who really knows

Added later: Astroids may not have been the only thing to wipeout life on this planet in the past.
Last edited by GordonH on Feb 17th, 2017, 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

GordonH wrote:I've mentioned Dead Zones on this forum few times over the years, with little to no response.

It is serious matter, is it a climate change thing or just what happens on this planet in normal regular cycle. Who really knows

Added later: Astroids may not have only thing to wipeout life on this planet in the past.

the people that wrote the study would have a idea . what you ment to say was you have no idea :smt045
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

GordonH wrote:I've mentioned Dead Zones on this forum few times over the years, with little to no response.

Added later: Astroids may not have only thing to wipeout life on this planet in the past.

That's a strangely beautiful image, isn't it?
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Added later: Astroids may not have been the only thing to wipeout life on this planet in the past.

maryjane48 wrote:the people that wrote the study would have a idea . what you meant to say was you have no idea :smt045

Since no one doing any study was alive last time dead zones was major issue, then its just theory with no concrete proof.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

lol . the study isnt based on the past its based on now . no one now was alive when jesus was supposidly wandering around yet we observe lots of belief . no one was around when dinos went poof yet most folks agree it was a earth impact that set that ball rolling
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

maryjane48 wrote:lol . the study isnt based on the past its based on now . no one now was alive when jesus was supposidly wandering around yet we observe lots of belief . no one was around when dinos went poof yet most folks agree it was a earth impact that set that ball rolling

Since this planet goes in cycles i.e from one ice age to another been happening for billions of years
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Oil companys sued for climate change

Post by maryjane48 »

The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Re: Oil companys sued for climate change

Post by The Green Barbarian »

why not sue unicorns and fairies too?
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

Another Californian frivolous lawsuit. If I were the oil company, I would suspend all oil products while the lawsuit proceeds.
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
Rider59
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Rider59 »

The Green Barbarian wrote:why not sue unicorns and fairies too?

Only the flatulent ones, I assume.
Fast, Good or Cheap. Pick Two
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

As other judges have ruled on similar cases, come back in the year 2095 and we will see if you have a case and if sea levels really have risen 10 feet.
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

Given how BigOil behaves when dragged into court, it might take until 2095 to settle. Remember the Exxon Valdez oil spill? It took 26 years to get Exxon to finally settle. But I suspect that long before then, we'll all be baking and even the Neanderthals will be convinced.

Suspend all oil shipments to California? No way, dude. As long as it turns a profit.... Morality doesn't enter into it.
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

No word on suing the coal producers? Thought coal fired electrical generating stations produce(d) most of the green house gasses ... CO2?
I am not wealthy but I am rich
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

CO2 reaches 800 000 year. High

Post by maryjane48 »

Return to “World”