Americans rethink gun laws

maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Americans rethink gun laws

Post by maryjane48 »

A country guitarist who played the Las Vegas music festival where a gunman opened fire and killed at least 59 people is rethinking his position on the right to bear arms

http://glbn.ca/5Mp1ds
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Americans rethink gun laws

Post by Ken7 »

Sadly take away the gun from this incident. He could have flown one of his two planes into the crowd, he could have driven a truck down the boulevard or into another crowd.

There are so many ways to kill large numbers, removing guns is not the answer if you think past the fact a gun was used. The mind is the issue here, without a healthy mind we will see more. Having media follow this incident too closely will only give others the idea of mass shouting.

Look at the past, school shootings and the list goes on. It is not the guns it is the mind and we don't all register the same.
Last edited by Ken7 on Oct 3rd, 2017, 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

The problem with rethinking guns laws in the US after this disaster is as mentioned in the previous post it coulda happened in multiple different ways, limited only to the attackers imagination.
The US has a problem but they need to look at it as a whole - accidental shootings, auto weapons, mental illness, increase risks to cops, etc.

It's an issue that needs to be front and center 365 , not just after an event. Sadly In a month this will be old news.
techrtr
Übergod

Post by techrtr »

This will blow over and the killing will continue. When a person with a sick mind can walk into any gun store and buy an unlimited number of weapons with only the most cursory checks, what do you think is going to happen? The only way politicians in the US will change their way of thinking is if there are mass protests like there were during the Vietnam War.

Gun control works and America needs it.
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

Gun control or whatever the US want to implement to reign in the proliferation of guns will not be important to them until a few NRA high profile members are shot at. Even then doubt anything will happen. Ford, Regan, Kennedy all were shot and what was done to get background checks at gun shows or online purchases... nothing....
In the US it is a right, everywhere else in the world it is a privilege, much like a drivers license. Weird.
I am not wealthy but I am rich
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

If Sandy Hook didn't result in any changes to their gun laws and culture I can't imagine what would.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Interesting what transpired after Sandy Hook:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_contr ... se_actions
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

I hope they do rethink it. I also believe Canada has reached a good balance with gun control.

There's no plausible need for the average Joe to have an automatic weapon. They're not appropriate for home defense. They're an offensive weapon ment for use in an area where you're not worried about accuracy or innocent bystanders.
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

JLives wrote:If Sandy Hook didn't result in any changes to their gun laws and culture I can't imagine what would.

The legal sale of automatic "sporting rifles" is another wedge issue that Americans have moved from the domain of common sense into the domain of politics and as long as it remains there nothing will be done.
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

http://www.cnn.com/2017/10/03/americas/ ... 825AMStory

48 percent of the worlds guns are in usa :smt045
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

The only thing that probably could change in the US would be maybe laws on automatic weapons, storage, better background checks, and maybe a waiting period to chill out those impulsive nuts.
Everyone should agree that people looking to kill others have MENTAL problems , maybe there should be more emphasis on that? Get on top of that issue and you might reduce mass killings, some suicides, some homelessness, some drug abuse and various crimes.
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

Oh of course a plane can be crashed into a crowd. If you have a few million dollars or the resources to steal and fly a plane. This is among some of the dumbest excuses I’ve seen for why guns shouldn’t be banned.

Yes, you can kill someone with a knife. Or a sharp stick. But 50 people wouldn’t have been killed by an attacker with a knife or a stick.

Yes cars kill people too, but cars require licensing, training courses, insurance payments in order to even be able to drive one. I feel if gun owners had to pay insurance on their guns they wouldn’t be hoarding them by the dozens. If someone was open carrying their gun, a police officer could request to see their gun license, check if the insurance is valid, and then confiscate if not, same as with a car. Cars are also expensive. Require keys to operate.

But the biggest difference, is that a car is first and foremost a travel tool. It’s primary function is for travel. A gun’s primary function is to kill.

Yes accidents can happen with cars, and accidents can result in death. There are 797 cars per 1000 people in the US. There are over 1126 guns per 1000. This is crazy. Now people will say that there are more deaths from vehicles than guns. And this is true, but Americans on average are driving 46 minutes or 30 miles per day. The sheer numbers lend to high accident rates. On average Americans aren’t actively “hunting” or “target shooting” 46 minutes per day. It takes literally seconds for a gun to go from not in use, to killing. And it’s far more likely for a toddler to find a loaded gun and kill themselves or a family member than it is for a toddler to climb into a vehicle, start it, and injure themselves or others.

In short, guns to cars or airplanes or knives or whatever is a complete false equivalence. We need to look at the problem of guns alone, and not make excuses out of unrelated tools or scenarios.
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

I'm not gonna list the possible ways bad things like this can happen-recent history will show that.
58 deaths is a big number, but i'm guessing he probably thought he'd kill hundreds considering the planning and effort he went through to rain bullets onto a crowd.
If there's no twisted reasoning in targeting this particular crowd, all you have to think of is the number of places 60 people gather- it's disturbing.
If he hadn't used guns it would have been something else , or maybe 1 gun in a different place.
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-10-03/las-vegas-six-things-to-know-about-mass-shootings-in-america/9011096

Some very interesting data there.

Puts paid to almost all of the NRA bs narratives.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.

Return to “World”