Americans rethink gun laws

TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Re: Americans rethink gun laws

Post by TylerM4 »

jimmy4321 wrote:I'm not gonna list the possible ways bad things like this can happen-recent history will show that.
58 deaths is a big number, but i'm guessing he probably thought he'd kill hundreds considering the planning and effort he went through to rain bullets onto a crowd.
If there's no twisted reasoning in targeting this particular crowd, all you have to think of is the number of places 60 people gather- it's disturbing.
If he hadn't used guns it would have been something else , or maybe 1 gun in a different place.

Likely they wouldn't be as successful with some other method of mass killing.

Planes, Cars, hunting rifles, all have useful purposes. What useful purpose does an assault rifle hold outside of "killing lots of people?"
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

I've said from the start, automatic weapons shouldn't be in the hands of civilians.
As far as the rest of it, i'd disagree.
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

jimmy4321 wrote:I've said from the start, automatic weapons shouldn't be in the hands of civilians.
As far as the rest of it, i'd disagree.

Look at the data I posted. Reality is that countries that have stricter gun control have fewer mass shootings and fewer murders.

NRA shtick is just nonsense.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Post by lesliepaul »

Guns have been and always will be "justified" in the U.S.A. There is nothing any kind of legislation can change simply because of the vast numbers of guns already in the hands of the population.........its too late. In fact, their is enough fire-power in the hands of civilians that their "conventional" military or police forces could not defend against it. Gun owners and the NRA in the States see themselves as "patriots"............."someone who is prepared to defend his or her country even against its own government".

At the rate of "mass shootings" that are occurring in the U.S. it will not be long before what is front page news now will be relegated to the sports section. As George Carlin said in his comedy news/sports skit back in the early 70's............"Arabs 6, Israeli's no score".

Listening to so many American politicians defending gun rights is at the point of being comical. These are supposed to be intelligent people but they have set that aside and want to ensure they keep getting elected in........at all costs. To them gun fatalities in these mass shootings "is just the price of doing business".
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

Gun owners and the NRA in the States see themselves as "patriots"............."someone who is prepared to defend his or her country even against its own government".
even though i agree with you on americans misplaced rules on guns i think they see themselves as somehow complete with a gun. the whole right to bear arms law has been perverted to what we see now. more canadians know what that means than 98 percent usa gun owners do.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

Things like closing the so-called gun show loophole or restricting the mentally ill from buying guns are supported by huge majorities of Republicans and Democrats. In a Quinnipiac University poll conducted in June, 94%(!) of Americans supported the idea of all gun purchases being subject to background checks -- including 92% of people who live in a home with a gun. A Pew poll from this past summer showed that 89% of gun owners and 89% of non-gun owners support preventing mentally ill people from buying guns.
Typically, on issues where nine in 10 Americans agree, Congress find a way to act. After all, the job of members of Congress, broadly speaking, is to represent the interests of their constituents. And, in raw political terms, doing something that 90%+ of the public wants is a smart move.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/10/03/politics/ ... 157PMStory
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

The best you can hope for is rules to prevent accidental shootings, and keeping them out of the hands of the nutcases.
Americans democrats & republicans alike feel safer with them.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

It's no secret that Washington has long been divided on new gun control laws. But Americans themselves might not be so divided (at least, on a few things) after all.

There are many areas of gun policy that split the country, but majorities in both parties do come together to support several key gun control measures, according to a survey this spring from the Pew Research Center.
Broad majorities of more than eight in 10 Republicans and Democrats (and independents who lean toward each party) support blocking people who are mentally ill and people on federal no-fly or watch lists from buying guns.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/10/02/politics/ ... MStoryLink
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

http://glbn.ca/BNArRE

JOHNSON CITY, Tenn. – Federal agents are trying to determine why a man pulled over for speeding in Tennessee was carrying a cache of weapons including two submachine guns and 900 rounds of ammunition.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

seewood wrote:Gun control or whatever the US want to implement to reign in the proliferation of guns will not be important to them until a few NRA high profile members are shot at. Even then doubt anything will happen. Ford, Regan, Kennedy all were shot and what was done to get background checks at gun shows or online purchases... nothing....
In the US it is a right, everywhere else in the world it is a privilege, much like a drivers license. Weird.

https://www.aol.com/article/2016/07/28/ ... /21439364/

Watch this video and then review what you stated. There was actually a story years ago where one of these town had a ordnance or bylaw that said you must posses a firearm. A 90 year old lady shot a intruder off her door step right through the door with a 4r4 cal. Don't recall where, and it might have just been a Jehovah Witness...
Sparki55
Guru

Post by Sparki55 »

hobbyguy wrote:Look at the data I posted. Reality is that countries that have stricter gun control have fewer mass shootings and fewer murders.

NRA shtick is just nonsense.

http://people.howstuffworks.com/strict-gun-laws-less-crime1.htm

There is clearly zero correlation between gun laws and violent crime. The real issue is background checks and mental health condition.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

Look even in Canada, was the last murder where a gun was used committed with a register weapon??? Wasn't that the Liberal Government who implemented that law too.
techrtr
Übergod

Post by techrtr »

The problem is, there's something fundamentally wrong with American society. There are countries with more liberal guns laws than even the US but murder by firearms is rare. The US is the last country on earth that should give its citizenry easy access to murder machines like automatic weapons.

I don't think anyone is saying that Americans need to give up their guns. On the contrary, there needs to be better background checks, and there is absolutely no reason for anyone to own an assault rifle or a semi auto that can be easily converted to full auto. Americans clearly cannot be trusted with firearms. They are too angry and messed up.
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

Sparki - the deflection to violent crime has little to do with the efficacy of gun laws.

Gun laws are as much about controlling the outcome of violent crime than the violent crime level.

Every country has issues with violent crime. Those countries with sensible gun laws have much, much lower murder rates.

The US is totally off the rails with its lack of spine to enact decent gun laws. I mean really? You can buy those conversion kits for AR-15s etc. legally? Really? How long before the idiots drug gang types in Canada start smuggling them in?

I watched a video of a "bump stock" gun being fired. It isn't aimed, it jumps around like crazy. There is no "sport" in that, no legitimate purpose. It is designed for mass slaughter.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.

Return to “World”