Amazon Go

GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: Amazon Go

Post by GordonH »

Omnitheo wrote:Lmao at you “I don’t work here/if I wanted to work here”
Are you incapable of doing things for yourselves? Did you not browse around the store to find something, or do you tell someone to do it for you? The self checkout systems are dead easy, and much faster than standing behind someone counting their nickels.

You scan the items, and tap your phone to the machine. It’s so quick and easy. Same thing with ordering at McDonald’s with their automated systems. They are there for your convenience. If you’re set on being a Luddite though, you don’t need to use them. You don’t need to go to amazon’s store. Meanwhile the rest of us will speedily complete our shopping hassle free.

I personally don't give damn how easy self checking is, it removes a person job/s. 1 person watches 4 self checkers were there once was 2 or 3 checkout.
People have & continue to lose the ability to patiently wait in line, which make sense knowing how many inpatient drivers are on the road these days.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

Omnitheo wrote:
You scan the items, and tap your phone to the machine.

?????? The cord won't reach..??????
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
CapitalB
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by CapitalB »

GordonH wrote:
I personally don't give damn how easy self checking is, it removes a person job/s. 1 person watches 4 self checkers were there once was 2 or 3 checkout.
People have & continue to lose the ability to patiently wait in line, which make sense knowing how many inpatient drivers are on the road these days.

Thats technological advancement for you, cant go backwards so we're going to have to decide what to do as this trend snowballs.
So much of the violent push-back on everything progressive and reformist comes down to: I can see the future, and in this future I am not the centre of the universe and master of all that I survey, therefore this future must be resisted at all costs.
Jhunter199
Fledgling

Post by Jhunter199 »

Omnitheo wrote:Lmao at you “I don’t work here/if I wanted to work here”
Are you incapable of doing things for yourselves? Did you not browse around the store to find something, or do you tell someone to do it for you? The self checkout systems are dead easy, and much faster than standing behind someone counting their nickels.

You scan the items, and tap your phone to the machine. It’s so quick and easy. Same thing with ordering at McDonald’s with their automated systems. They are there for your convenience. If you’re set on being a Luddite though, you don’t need to use them. You don’t need to go to amazon’s store. Meanwhile the rest of us will speedily complete our shopping hassle free.

I think it's beside the point of checking out for yourself, of course everyone goes into the store and grabs their own things (unless your in the group that feels they no longer have the time for that and uses the click and go). I personally like going to an actual person and having an actual conversation, its a rare skill in our society these days. Plus yes its an entry-level job for high school/college students, or part-time work for those that want/need a little extra cash.
CapitalB
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by CapitalB »

Jhunter199 wrote: I personally like going to an actual person and having an actual conversation, its a rare skill in our society these days.

The funny part is that 9/10 times those people absolutely want you to silently purchase your items and go.

Source: Worked in retail / service for years literally every employee wants nothing more than to make it through the day with the least amount of customer interaction possible.
So much of the violent push-back on everything progressive and reformist comes down to: I can see the future, and in this future I am not the centre of the universe and master of all that I survey, therefore this future must be resisted at all costs.
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

CapitalB wrote:
The funny part is that 9/10 times those people absolutely want you to silently purchase your items and go.

Source: Worked in retail / service for years literally every employee wants nothing more than to make it through the day with the least amount of customer interaction possible.

And that attitude would be a reason to be forever at base pay.

Wrong field of employ for you.

I'm archaic. I still utelize tellers, cashiers, representatives, etc. and pay with most
things with a thing called cash.
Seems a lot of people no longer knows what it is..
CapitalB
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by CapitalB »

dirtybiker wrote:And that attitude would be a reason to be forever at base pay.

Wrong field of employ for you.

I'm archaic. I still utelize tellers, cashiers, representatives, etc. and pay with most
things with a thing called cash.
Seems a lot of people no longer knows what it is..

Everyone knows how to fake it, thats basically the entire job. I was never at base pay I provided excellent customer service consistently and moved through management to eventually escape the literal hell that is the service industry. Its the wrong field for 90% of the people in it, but its basically the only option for people without post secondary education or who don't want to sell their body into trades.

I avoid tellers and cashiers and people attached to a company at every opportunity. It saves me time, money, sanity, and saves them and their company the same. Win win.

The only people who use cash now a days are elderly or drug dealers.

Edit: LOL at inability to or.
Last edited by CapitalB on Jan 24th, 2018, 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

CapitalB wrote:
The only people who use cash now a days are elderly or drug dealers.

Huh, I guess I must be an old drug dealer then..thanks for
clueing me in..

I never realized.... :200:
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

CapitalB wrote:The only people who use cash now a days are elderly or drug dealers.

dirtybiker wrote:Huh, I guess I must be an old drug dealer then..thanks for
clueing me in..

I never realized.... :200:

I guess that includes me :laugh:
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
HorganIsMyHero
Board Meister

Post by HorganIsMyHero »

Jhunter199 wrote:I personally like going to an actual person and having an actual conversation, its a rare skill in our society these days

You guys do realize that a lot of places time cashiers by how long they take with each customer? Some places actually post the cashier times on some sort of board in the break room and the lowest times are highlighted in some way.

Depending on the store you're most likely doing the cashier a disservice by trying to start a conversation and making the transaction take longer than normal. They're likely going to get chewed out by a manager.
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

:topic:
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
Jhunter199
Fledgling

Post by Jhunter199 »

HorganIsMyHero wrote:
Jhunter199 wrote:I personally like going to an actual person and having an actual conversation, its a rare skill in our society these days

You guys do realize that a lot of places time cashiers by how long they take with each customer? Some places actually post the cashier times on some sort of board in the break room and the lowest times are highlighted in some way.

Depending on the store you're most likely doing the cashier a disservice by trying to start a conversation and making the transaction take longer than normal. They're likely going to get chewed out by a manager.

Good to know that being friendly and asking someone about their day is now considered a disservice
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

It's a cool concept, I like it.

Cashiers for the most part only mess things up by punching incorrect numbers or taking too much time because their minds are elsewhere.

Glory to computers!!!
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

Looks like amazon is not the only one in the game. We're getting a Walmart Scan and Go down here in Yuma with many more Walmart stores throughout the states. All Sam's clubs are already set up. We do not have a Sam's club membership so have not seen it. Coming soon to a store near you? maybe.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

The Walmart version allows people to scan the barcode on an item, bag it, and proceed to checkout to scan their phones QR code (without removing items from the bags). Not sure how this stops people from putting an item in to a bag without scanning it. The Amazon technology goes further in this respect.

There seems to be a few discrepancies in how it works. One version says you don't need a checkout, only your cellphone app, but the "Greeter" will allow you to exit. Heck, you could scan 48 items but have 50 items in your bags. Would they find that?

https://www.newsforshoppers.com/walmarts-scan-go-app-how-where-it-works-how-to-get-it/36712527/

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/walmart-scan-and-go-app-self-checkout-1.4364434
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.

Return to “World”