Climate Change Mega Thread

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
Jlabute
Guru

Re: Climate Change Mega Thread

Post by Jlabute »

An Apple approved app called Inconvenient facts, which gives NASA and NOAA graphs and other information from respected sources, which disputes Al Gores position on catastrophic climate change, has been banned by Apple. Al Gore is on Apples board of directors. Apple gives an extremely weak reason that the app did not contain compelling content even though it had 12 thousand downloads and a high rating. Another example of the lefts war on science to support their hero.

https://www.theblaze.com/climate-skeptic-app-removed-by-apple

https://www.newsmax.com/finance/streettalk/rotten-core-apple-science/2019/03/11/id/906369/
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
spooker

Post by spooker »

Jlabute wrote:An Apple approved app called Inconvenient facts, which gives NASA and NOAA graphs and other information from respected sources, which disputes Al Gores position on catastrophic climate change, has been banned by Apple. Al Gore is on Apples board of directors. Apple gives an extremely weak reason that the app did not contain compelling content even though it had 12 thousand downloads and a high rating. Another example of the lefts war on science to support their hero.

As a mobile app developer, Apple does weird things with store submissions ... half the time it seems like they reject it if someone sneezes wrong ... it's not an environment I feel is fair to developers ...
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

I agree. Apple has done weird things in the past. This app though was approved and available for download... probably until Al Gore discovered it.
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
spooker

Post by spooker »

Jlabute wrote:I agree. Apple has done weird things in the past. This app though was approved and available for download... probably until Al Gore discovered it.

They're very sensitive to perception ... if they get some complaints about it from users they'll quickly pull something ...
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

The same App (and book) are available world wide in many formats including the Android App store. Apple is likely taking a political stand or supporting Gore while he is on the board, unless your average Apple user is a complaining leftist weirdo. Even going through Apple related forums, it appears many Apple users are shocked. Not sure what one could complain about in an app that just states scientific facts.
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

An interesting article showing NASA used to say greenhouse gasses were a minor contributor to warming. NASA is now hiding this page.

http://joannenova.com.au/2019/02/nasa-hides-page-saying-the-sun-was-the-primary-climate-driver-and-clouds-and-particles-are-more-important-than-greenhouse-gases/
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Climate change has been going on since day 1 of this planet. Just as the continents have & continue to move away from & into each other.

This planet continues to be ever changing rock. Creatures have gone away & new one have come along.

We are moving away from last ice age (getting warmer), at some point we will be moving towards the next ice age (getting colder).

Don't believe me, dig deep into this planet history.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

GordonH wrote:Climate change has been going on since day 1 of this planet. Just as the continents have & continue to move away from & into each other.

This planet continues to be ever changing rock. Creatures have gone away & new one have come along.

We are moving away from last ice age (getting warmer), at some point we will be moving towards the next ice age (getting colder).

Again? Ugh. These changes occurred over thousands and millions of years. The changes we're seeing now are happening at a rate unprecedented outside of mass extinction events. This is very well understood by scientists, and if you look at the actual studies you will see that the natural factors responsible for changing climate are all taken into consideration.
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
monilynno
Board Meister

Post by monilynno »

removed.
Last edited by Triple 6 on Mar 15th, 2019, 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off topic comment
CapitalB
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by CapitalB »

monilynno wrote:
Not one word in your post is correct, typical alternate facts liberal.

I mean... Aside from everything Omnitheo said being technically correct. Which is the best kind of correct really.

They're not 'alternate liberal facts' they're the facts that most of the world has agreed upon. They're only alternate to people that get their science info and news from youtube pundits.
So much of the violent push-back on everything progressive and reformist comes down to: I can see the future, and in this future I am not the centre of the universe and master of all that I survey, therefore this future must be resisted at all costs.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote:Climate change has been going on since day 1 of this planet. Just as the continents have & continue to move away from & into each other.

Omnitheo wrote:Again? Ugh. These changes occurred over thousands and millions of years. The changes we're seeing now are happening at a rate unprecedented outside of mass extinction events. This is very well understood by scientists, and if you look at the actual studies you will see that the natural factors responsible for changing climate are all taken into consideration.

:popcorn:
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

CapitalB wrote:I mean... Aside from everything Omnitheo said being technically correct.

Is it though? Take for example this statement of faith without evidence: "The changes we're seeing now are happening at a rate unprecedented outside of mass extinction events."

This is just alarmist rhetoric with no basis in science and shows a poor understanding of math. It's like the people who claim everything is getting worse because anecdotally they see more shootings on the nightly news.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

12 signs we're in the middle of a 6th mass extinction

The phrase "mass extinction" typically conjures images of the asteroid crash that led to the twilight of the dinosaurs.
Upon impact, that 6-mile-wide space rock caused a tsunami in the Atlantic Ocean, along with earthquakes and landslides up and down what is now the Americas. A heat pulse baked the Earth, and the Tyrannosaurus Rex and its compatriots died out, along with 75 per cent of the planet's species.

Although it may not be obvious, another devastating mass extinction event is taking place today - the sixth of its kind in Earth's history. The trend is hitting global fauna on multiple fronts, as hotter oceans, deforestation, and climate change drive animal populations to extinction in unprecedented numbers.

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/12- ... &ocid=iehp
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Cool, but the temperature changes aren't unprecedented. It warmed up just as fast in the 1920s,1930s and 1940s as it has over the past 30 years...

accel.png
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Mar 15th, 2019, 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off Topic

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”