The right wing attacks against shooting survivors continue

Re: The right wing attacks against shooting survivors contin

Postby Glacier » Apr 12th, 2018, 2:12 pm

We will have to agree to disagree. If she says she's sorry, I buy it. I don't watch Fox News, so I don't know her background as well as you do, but I like to give people the benefit of the doubt. Hogg should too in my opinion. Maybe I'm too liberal, but if someone tweeted something like this to me, I'd give them the benefit of the doubt, and forgive them.
Glacier
Admiral HMS Castanet

Liked in: 9077 posts

Re: The right wing attacks against shooting survivors contin

Postby Jonrox » Apr 12th, 2018, 3:05 pm

An interesting take on Laura Ingraham's return to TV:

Laura Ingraham's Back After Mocking David Hogg & Her Monologue Hints She's Not So Sorry After All
https://www.bustle.com/p/laura-ingrahams-back-after-mocking-david-hogg-her-monologue-hints-shes-not-so-sorry-after-all-8741125

Indeed, at one point in her monologue, Ingraham asserted,

There's a contraction of free speech all around us. ... Many of you have become accustomed to editing yourselves. Expressing views that just five or 10 years ago were considered mainstream, can now get you fired. It can cause you to lose a promotion. You could be branded a hater. Or yes, you can get boycotted.

Toward the end of her monologue, Ingraham announced that she will be featuring a new segment on her show called "Defending the First," which will explore what she believes are threats to the First Amendment. As the host noted, she plans to use her show to expose "the perpetrators [of First Amendment threats], their tactics, their major players, and their funders." She also did not mince words when characterizing how she believes some progressives are threatening free speech, saying, "Their efforts are Stalinist, pure and simple. Their objective is a total transformation of American society, not through rational discourse and open debate, but through personal demonization and silencing."

It would seem she is one of those who doesn't understand what "Free Speech" means. Her rights weren't violated at all. She just doesn't like the criticism she received and the resulting loss of advertising dollars. She still has her TV show and can say whatever she wants, she just might feel the effect in her bank account.

I don't see a lot of people suggesting she shouldn't she shouldn't be allowed to say what she wants, she just wants to be able to say it without any consequences but that's not how free speech works. She's getting conservatives all riled up saying the left is attacking free speech, but it's just not true and she knows it. She's doing this just to further divide the country and get her supporters angry at the left.

The left isn't lobbying the government to restrict what people can say by changing the 1st Amendment, they're just using their voices to criticize comments from the right they disagree with. She's turning this into a free speech, 1st Amendment argument but in reality this discussion has nothing to do with it.

2 people like this post.
Jonrox
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 1829 posts

Previous

Return to World