Saudi Arabia

Poindexter
Guru

Re: Saudi Arabia

Post by Poindexter »

Merry wrote:It's hypocrisy to publicly insult another Government, while quietly doing business with them behind the scenes.

All the measures taken to date by the Saudi's point to a lot of economic dealings with that country, much of which many of us weren't even aware of.

The Libs can't have it both ways; if they truly wanted to try and influence the way the Saudi's deal with women's rights the Libs could have initiated some of those same economic steps that the Saudi's did (but they didn't do that because it would hurt us just as much, or more, than it would hurt them). Public tweets achieve absolutely nothing, other than catering to the Liberal base, and the Libs know that.

On the other hand, if the Libs wanted to continue doing business with the Saudi's (which they clearly did) they could have tried the good old fashioned "tried and true" method of quiet behind the scenes diplomacy to achieve what they wanted. It's still a bit hypocritical, but would have been a far better way to deal with this than firing off foolish tweets.

^^ You like to contradict yourself don't you. I pointed out how you accuse the liberals of hypocrisy and then recommend they should be hypocritics. Then you recommend quiet diplomacy while your signature slams political correctness. Now you're recommend they stop doing business with the Saudi's, how is that quiet diplomacy? Is it possible that it doesnt matter what liberals do because your implicit bias will dislike it regardless? You're contradictions sure indicate that's the case.
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
Verum
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Saudi expulsion

Post by Verum »

Pete Podoski wrote:...

If I see my neighbour beating his wife, and I'm beating mine too, the first thing I should do is stop beating my wife before I tell him what to do.

Canada is not in a position to dictate moral authority on other people. Our own Prime Minister is getting loaded and grabbing azz, so how do we qualify to tell others to respect human rights?

That might be fine if what we did was at all equivalent to what Saudi Arabia is doing. It's a false moral equivalence. Even still, you are engaging in the tu quoque fallacy.
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Post by lesliepaul »

Could care less about this :cuss: backwards :cuss: hole. Pre 1938 Saudi Arabia was the worlds largest "litter box" and someday will return to what it was originally intended for.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Ka-El wrote: Neither side is devoid of stupidity, and as we’ve seen on these boards, the level of stupidity increases with the extremity in viewpoint.

Agreed

However, as the research has clearly indicated, right-wingers collectively tend to be less intelligent than left-wingers. .

This is nonsense.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

Poindexter wrote:
I pointed out how you accuse the liberals of hypocrisy and then recommend they should be hypocritics.

I wasn't "recommending" anything; merely pointing out different options that were available to them. Tried and true ways of influencing other Governments, which work far better than public criticism.

IF the Libs feel that strongly about the Saudi Governments laws, they could have

a) cut off diplomatic ties
b) cut off diplomatic and economic ties
c) done neither of the above and just tried using quiet "behind the scenes" diplomacy to influence events

My choice would have been the third one, but if the Libs felt that wasn't enough they could have done one of the first two.

By doing neither, and choosing instead to publicly criticize a foreign government while we continue to do business with them, is sheer hypocrisy.

As stated before, the Libs knew full well the the critical tweet wouldn't make a hill of beans difference to the Saudi's treatment of women, but the Libs went ahead and did it anyway. Why? Because they are already thinking about the next election, and wanted to cater to their base by appearing to be doing something, when in actual fact they were not.

If that's not hypocrisy, I don't know what is.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Merry - you are what I call a "True Liberal". While you lean left in your views, you still value free speech and personal rights. It's the true liberals like you that are #walkingaway, just like Lindsay Shepherd. There is no room for your views in the "new" Democrat party. All you are allowed to do is agree with the "hive" mind, and if you don't, you are pounced upon. It's clear as day here on these boards.

Even though we disagree on a lot of things, I do respect most of your core values Merry. At least you demonstrate free thought, something so disregarded in this polarized world we live in.

Now - back to topic - Saudi Arabia:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/sa ... spartanntp
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

I just heard on the radio that Saudi Arabia has upped their crushing sanctions against us. Woe is us, what are we going to do with all those university seats freed up but give them to Canadian students.
And oil to our refineries? I have no idea where we'll find oil to replace it.
OH and their planes not landing here? More space for other companies.
OH and their refusal of our exports? Let them eat cake. I mean, I have no idea, a World of billions, where we'll sell our food products...I'll be other countries are lining up for it right now.

OH and publishing that crazy image of their plane hitting the CN Tower? Maybe our military will wipe out their seat of power some day.

Ooops, did I say that? I'm just goofing around is all....
Last edited by Queen K on Aug 8th, 2018, 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

Politicians are so out-of-touch that they have no business posting to social media without supervision. Is there professionalism left anywhere?

Anywhere?
Anywhere?
Anywhere?

When will the movie end?
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
Vacancyrate
Banned

Post by Vacancyrate »

People are going to be severely disappointed if they think that the Canadian government is going to mess with the amount of business that we do with the Saudi's. The Saudis have been crucifying, torturing and beheading people through all of Justin's term, Stephen Harper's term and Chretien's time in office.

Canada LOVES dictators and brutal regimes as long as we have sound business relationships with them.

It actually makes me sad reading how people think that Canada actually cares and how people think that we are going to stand up to them on a moral ground. We gladly did business with them for the last 30 years and will continue to do so.

The business community will yank Justin's chain around his neck and things will return back to normal. Canada will sell it's pipeline back to the private sector and the billions and billions of dollars that do not care how many people are tortured will continue to flow.

Then we can go back to pretending to wag our finger at them.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

That's the thing right? If we stand up for a woman's right activists, casting light on her plight, who knows what other disqusting things will come to light over what they do?

MAYBE this is a pretext to bomb the hell out of them?
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
westbankkid
Übergod

Post by westbankkid »

Canada should keep our efffing nose out of other countries problems and TRU*DOPE should make our own citizens a priority. Let other countries settle their own problems. We have enough of our own. Quit being a bleeding heart to the world TRU*DOPE.
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

The Green Barbarian wrote:Merry - you are what I call a "True Liberal". While you lean left in your views, you still value free speech and personal rights. It's the true liberals like you that are #walkingaway, just like Lindsay Shepherd. There is no room for your views in the "new" Democrat party. All you are allowed to do is agree with the "hive" mind, and if you don't, you are pounced upon. It's clear as day here on these boards.

Even though we disagree on a lot of things, I do respect most of your core values Merry. At least you demonstrate free thought, something so disregarded in this polarized world we live in.

Now - back to topic - Saudi Arabia:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/sa ... spartanntp

Good grief, I asked Merry a simple question as he appeared to contradict himself numerous times and I appreciated his response, but this is too funny. Green Bee informing us what a true liberal should be then telling others to stay on topic.
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Thinktank »

Queen K wrote:Maybe our military will wipe out their seat of power some day.

The Arabs are partners with USA. The only thing our military will wipe one day
besides the savings of older Canadians ........ is Yemen and Iran.

And we'll kiss the ground US/Saudi/Israelia walks on.
WHEN WILL WESTERN WAR PIGS WIND THIS UKRAINIAN GENOCIDE DOWN?????????????

"Fisman's Fraud" - most important Canadian book of 2024. covid fear tactics of fraudulent scientist David Fisman - misinformation distributed by U of Toronto researchers.
motokelowna1
Übergod

Re: Saudi expulsion

Post by motokelowna1 »

Sparki55 wrote:While I agree with the domestic dispute mention and that intervention is needed there I cannot get behind what our government said. It's like telling China they must change their 1 child only policy, or you telling another parent that they can't parent their child that way. It's not our country and unless there is a war or something like radical germany going on I don't see how we have a place to say anything. People are free to move away from Saudi if they don't like it.

You do know that the one child policy was changed in 2013 to two children per family unless there is a single parent ....
motokelowna1
Übergod

Post by motokelowna1 »

So what if Canada doesn't supply the armed carriers they were to be used as local community suppression IE good riddance to the regime

Return to “World”