Seattle goes back to drawing board on homeless spending

Another Democratic City out of Control - Seattle

Postby averagejoe » Jun 15th, 2018, 11:53 am

Letter to Seattle convention leaders: Your problem is out of control

SEATTLE - KIRO-7 obtained a scathing letter sent to Seattle convention leaders saying the organizers of a large national convention felt unsafe during a recent visit, because of aggressive behavior and drug use from people they encountered on downtown streets.

The letter asked the leaders of Visit Seattle for extra security for their convention, after they said 14 members of their advanced planning team were accosted by people on the streets, saw open drug use, and witnessed people urinating and even defecating near the convention center or the team's hotel, during a planning visit in April.

The letter stated, "Seattle has been among our top picks as a convention destination, and unfortunately, due to our city experiences, we may need to remove Seattle from future consideration."
Ecclesiastes 10:2 A wise man's heart is at his right hand; but a fool's heart at his left.

Thor Heyerdahl Says: “Our lack of knowledge about our own past is appalling.
averagejoe
Walks on Forum Water

Liked in: 2932 posts

Re: Another Democratic City out of Control - Seattle

Postby savvybusinessman » Jun 15th, 2018, 11:55 am

I go to Seattle all the time and it's not out of control. The people there are actually a lot more sane than ones found in the Bible Belt.
savvybusinessman
Board Meister

Liked in: 258 posts

Postby averagejoe » Jun 15th, 2018, 11:58 am

savvybusinessman wrote:I go to Seattle all the time and it's not out of control. The people there are actually a lot more sane than ones found in the Bible Belt.

Just the start....Seattle will go the way San Francisco has. Give it time.
Ecclesiastes 10:2 A wise man's heart is at his right hand; but a fool's heart at his left.

averagejoe
Walks on Forum Water

Postby Ka-El » Jun 15th, 2018, 4:23 pm

San Francisco and Seattle - two of the coolest, nicest, most friendly cities to visit along the west coast :smt045

Of course, San Diego is awesome too.
“It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent; it is the one most adaptable to change.” — Charles Darwin
Ka-El
Guru

Liked in: 6216 posts

Postby Omnitheo » Jun 15th, 2018, 4:26 pm

I was in San Fran last week. Also not out of control. Was quite nice actually, lots of really nice people.
"The Charter of Rights and Freedoms protects all Canadians, every one of us, even when it is uncomfortable."
- Justin Trudeau
Omnitheo
Guru

Liked in: 4619 posts

Postby Jlabute » Jun 15th, 2018, 8:07 pm

Last time I was in sandiego, a hooker came running up to my cab at a red light at about 11pm. She jumped into the front seat while being chased by a black guy who reached in and smashed her in the face with a club... cab driver took off thru the red light. Left black guy in the dust screaming “I’m gonna kill you, I’m gonna kill you”. Offered to drive hooker to the hospital and she refused. Dropped her off where she wanted and went back to my hotel. Took the glassed in outside elevator to the third floor while noticing it had a bullet hole in the glass that wasn’t there in the morning (stayed at a quality inn) All this was nothing compared to Tijuana. Earlier that day, sat on a train between two black guys that started a fight with each other... one of them holding up his arm showing a portion of his chest previously removed by a bullet. They each wanted to kill each other and I got off the train. Came back from a conference lucky to be alive, lol.
Justin Trudeau? NO! Trust in Judo!
Jlabute
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 1631 posts

Postby Ka-El » Jun 15th, 2018, 9:41 pm

Jlabute wrote:Last time I was in sandiego, a hooker came running up to my cab at a red light at about 11pm. She jumped into the front seat while being chased by a black guy who reached in and smashed her in the face with a club...

Wow! Almost the exact same thing happened to me in Calgary - except it was a limo and I was driving. Drove off and radioed for the cops. Tons of stories driving limo at night in good ol' Cow Town.
“It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent; it is the one most adaptable to change.” — Charles Darwin
Ka-El
Guru

Postby Omnitheo » Jun 16th, 2018, 8:48 am

Jlabute wrote:Last time I was in sandiego, a hooker came running up to my cab at a red light at about 11pm. She jumped into the front seat while being chased by a black guy who reached in and smashed her in the face with a club... cab driver took off thru the red light. Left black guy in the dust screaming “I’m gonna kill you, I’m gonna kill you”. Offered to drive hooker to the hospital and she refused. Dropped her off where she wanted and went back to my hotel. Took the glassed in outside elevator to the third floor while noticing it had a bullet hole in the glass that wasn’t there in the morning (stayed at a quality inn) All this was nothing compared to Tijuana. Earlier that day, sat on a train between two black guys that started a fight with each other... one of them holding up his arm showing a portion of his chest previously removed by a bullet. They each wanted to kill each other and I got off the train. Came back from a conference lucky to be alive, lol.

San Diego was part of my trip. Ran into some people drinking at a campsite and met up with them. They insisted that San Diego was right wing, that they were true red blooded Americans. Nothing like those in San Fran. Made constant Canada jokes and proceeded to throw their empties out into the woods, one of their shirts into the fire, and they demonstrated complete in orange of Canada aside from our “socialized healthcare and “Tru-Day-oh”. Then again, they were pretty ignorant about their own country too.

I think I’ll stick with the San Fransiscans.
"The Charter of Rights and Freedoms protects all Canadians, every one of us, even when it is uncomfortable."
- Justin Trudeau
Omnitheo
Guru

Liked in: 4619 posts

Postby averagejoe » Jun 16th, 2018, 9:40 am

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Jun 16th, 2018, 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Try again without the personal attack.

averagejoe
Walks on Forum Water

Postby bob vernon » Jun 17th, 2018, 10:02 pm

Went recently to both San Francisco and Seattle for baseball. The baseball was great, the food was great, the people were mellow and friendly. These divisive politics that are being played by Trump and his minions are un-Christian and evil.
bob vernon
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 1474 posts

Postby averagejoe » Jul 4th, 2018, 3:39 pm

When Democratic run cities don't back their police departments....

Seattle Police Officers Are Leaving the Department in a ‘Mass Exodus’

Seattle Police Department has already lost 41 officers this year, as a result of low morale, fear of doing their job due to lack of support from the city council and orders to ignore some crimes. The number is likely to exceed last year’s loss of 79 departures. While Seattle’s population has grown exponentially over the past 40 years, the size of the city’s police force has stayed almost the same. The police union called the situation “a mass exodus” and said they believe it will have a direct impact on public safety.

“I have never seen the number of officers who are leaving and the way they are leaving,” Seattle Police Guild Vice President Rich O’Neill said.

A police source told KCPQ that younger officers are frustrated over city politics and are departing Seattle for greener pastures.

“Worker bees on the street, they don’t feel appreciated. I’ve never seen anything like this in my life,” he said.

He said that city leaders have sent the message that officers can’t be proactive in their policing, and as a result, many Seattle officers have become afraid to do their jobs.

“It’s just depressing to serve in a place where many City Council members who are coming out at times with negative comments about the police,” O’Neill said.

He said officials have allowed certain crimes to go on without accountability, and have discouraged officers from enforcing the law with homeless individuals.

“It’s told from the start it’s not a priority, homeless issues also bring with it car prowls, break-ins, open-air drug market, needles all over the ground, it’s the worst I’ve ever seen it,” O’Neill said.

https://www.themaven.net/bluelivesmatte ... 2kLx8fwYA/

averagejoe
Walks on Forum Water

Postby bob vernon » Jul 4th, 2018, 4:41 pm

I get it now. Only cities that aren't likely to vote again for the Republicans are "out of control" and doomed for hell. Only voting Republican can possibly save their souls. And it's a mid-term election year in the US.
bob vernon
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 1474 posts

Postby averagejoe » Jul 4th, 2018, 4:46 pm

bob vernon wrote:I get it now. Only cities that aren't likely to vote again for the Republicans are "out of control" and doomed for hell. Only voting Republican can possibly save their souls. And it's a mid-term election year in the US.

Looks that way....

averagejoe
Walks on Forum Water

Seattle goes back to drawing board on homeless spending

Postby ferri » Sep 14th, 2018, 12:30 pm

I thought some of you might be interested in this.

The city has spent $86.7 million on homeless services in 2018. Nearly $10 million of that was for cleanup and unauthorized encampment removal.

Article here:
https://www.krem.com/article/news/seatt ... /594217722

According to a friend of mine that lives there "the problem has gotten exponentially worse and far more dangerous JUST within the last year."
“When someone is nasty or treats you poorly, don't take it personally. It says nothing about you, but a lot about them.” ― Michael Josephson

2 people like this post.
ferri
Forum Administrator

Liked in: 10108 posts

Re: Seattle goes back to drawing board on homeless spending

Postby Ka-El » Sep 14th, 2018, 1:49 pm

Very interesting. What to do, what to do? More money invested into education, family services, job training and mental health and addiction could help to alleviate some of the problem before it happens (saving money in the long run), but there doesn't seem to be an effective solution for the issue after the fact. Maybe one day we'll realize it's better to invest the money up front. All these cuts to social spending only cost us so much more at the end of the day (as one example, it has been shown that enforcement and punishment costs up to ten times as much as harm reduction and treatment with drug addiction). Oh well.

ferri likes this post.
Ka-El
Guru

Next

Return to World