Seattle goes back to drawing board on homeless spending

Re: Seattle goes back to drawing board on homeless spending

Postby the truth » Nov 16th, 2018, 4:30 pm

Jflem1983 wrote:
Glacier wrote:So San Francisco is going to spend $75,000/year per homeless person to end homelessness. That's like $90,000 Canada. Because throwing more money at a problem always fixes it.

Hawaii pays 85k Canadian a year for welfare . Unreal.
Guess the easiest way to get ahead today. Become a useless junkie. Let the Government pay your way. 90k a year

:200: :200: how can i become a local.........
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell

2 people like this post.
the truth
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 6629 posts

Postby Glacier » Nov 19th, 2018, 12:29 pm

the truth wrote: :200: :200: how can i become a local.........

Remember though that most of this 85,000 goes towards overpaid government pencil pushers, and not the actual poor people it's supposed to help.
“Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die”

averagejoe likes this post.
Glacier
Admiral HMS Castanet

Liked in: 11150 posts

Postby Catsumi » Nov 19th, 2018, 8:42 pm

The homeless scene is a growing industry with great job opportunities for social workers and bureaucrats alike.
J. Trudeau, the PM who brought corruption, scandal and spending to a laughing world stage

Make the Cdn wet dream come true. Vote MAD MAX

the truth likes this post.
Catsumi
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 3754 posts

Postby the truth » Nov 19th, 2018, 8:50 pm

indeed
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
the truth
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 6629 posts

Postby miss_sterious » Dec 10th, 2018, 11:00 pm

Curious..what percentage of the homeless are mentally ill and off their meds? Would the funding be better allocated to mental health services? Should we reduce the strict guidelines of getting a mentally ill patient hospital care from attempting self harm to simply unable to care for themself?
miss_sterious
Fledgling

Liked in: 119 posts

Postby ferri » Mar 20th, 2019, 12:38 pm

The people in charge (Mayor etc.) aren't happy about this special that aired, but I think they should be worried more about the city they are supposed to be running.

KOMO News Special: Seattle is Dying

https://komonews.com/news/local/komo-ne ... QrFqjNDqkU
“When someone is nasty or treats you poorly, don't take it personally. It says nothing about you, but a lot about them.” ― Michael Josephson

ferri
Forum Administrator

Liked in: 9784 posts

Postby Rider59 » Mar 23rd, 2019, 8:42 am

Catsumi wrote:The homeless scene is a growing industry with great job opportunities for social workers and bureaucrats alike.

The increase in homeless is a direct result of;

Poor parenting- the kids are special and the world owes them
Poor schooling- everyone gets a trophy. are special and the world owes them

These kids mentors really let down the kids and society by not preparing them for life’s hardships.

My solution? Let attrition take care of this lot and don’t enable the next generation. I bet homelssness would be reduced by 80% at least.
Fast, Good or Cheap. Pick Two
Rider59
Board Meister

Liked in: 546 posts

Postby featfan » Mar 23rd, 2019, 1:35 pm

Rider59 wrote:
The increase in homeless is a direct result of;

Poor parenting- the kids are special and the world owes them
Poor schooling- everyone gets a trophy. are special and the world owes them

These kids mentors really let down the kids and society by not preparing them for life’s hardships.

My solution? Let attrition take care of this lot and don’t enable the next generation. I bet homelssness would be reduced by 80% at least.

Looks like Seattle is close to that now.
https://www.foxnews.com/us/seattle-home ... ng-problem

featfan
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 531 posts

Postby Ken7 » Yesterday, 12:24 pm

I watched a program last night about Seattle. They are #2 for crimes per 100 thousand there, second to San Francisco. The show was very interesting how homeless is impacting them.

They ended up moving to Providence Rhode Island, who has a program. It is of their opinion you must enforce, and then rehabilitate. Therefore the Police have to be extremely active they then put the repeat offenders in to jail. In jail they have a choice of one of three drugs, which replace their drug of choice and keep them in sound mind. When they are released they have a foundation to build on and continue with the drug program. They say 93% of those released continue in the program.

https://www.statnews.com/2018/02/14/med ... t-inmates/

They did not say what this costs the tax payers, but they feel it is successful. A company call CORSO I believe supplies the synthetic drug and it is administered in I believe seven location in the Area.

Sadly these individuals are now lifers on the program. They do not try to ween them off, which I found odd. Now in saying that it is big business when you think of the number of people likely in the program.

I feel this might be a solution to a problem. They had many Police Officers ( not named) who said currently they would not move a family to Seattle to live. They all said the problem is 95% drug related and very few are the mentally ill.

I have always thought that about Kelowna, it is drugs not mental illness causing our issues with homeless. As long as there is lack of enforcement, the problems will only grow. Sadly the way we soft glove these issues we may never get a grip on it. We need to start a program like Rhode Island I feel although must further slowly ween them off if it is possible.

2 people like this post.
Ken7
Guru

Liked in: 3008 posts

Postby Rider59 » Yesterday, 12:36 pm

Ken7 wrote:I watched a program last night about Seattle. They are #2 for crimes per 100 thousand there, second to San Francisco. The show was very interesting how homeless is impacting them.

They ended up moving to Providence Rhode Island, who has a program. It is of their opinion you must enforce, and then rehabilitate. Therefore the Police have to be extremely active they then put the repeat offenders in to jail. In jail they have a choice of one of three drugs, which replace their drug of choice and keep them in sound mind. When they are released they have a foundation to build on and continue with the drug program. They say 93% of those released continue in the program.

https://www.statnews.com/2018/02/14/med ... t-inmates/

They did not say what this costs the tax payers, but they feel it is successful. A company call CORSO I believe supplies the synthetic drug and it is administered in I believe seven location in the Area.

Sadly these individuals are now lifers on the program. They do not try to ween them off, which I found odd. Now in saying that it is big business when you think of the number of people likely in the program.

I feel this might be a solution to a problem. They had many Police Officers ( not named) who said currently they would not move a family to Seattle to live. They all said the problem is 95% drug related and very few are the mentally ill.

I have always thought that about Kelowna, it is drugs not mental illness causing our issues with homeless. As long as there is lack of enforcement, the problems will only grow. Sadly the way we soft glove these issues we may never get a grip on it. We need to start a program like Rhode Island I feel although must further slowly ween them off if it is possible.

It says a lot that people trained to deal with the outfall of these degenerates don’t want them even close to their families.
Fast, Good or Cheap. Pick Two
Rider59
Board Meister

Liked in: 546 posts

Postby averagejoe » Yesterday, 2:18 pm

Seems Denver is following Seattle! Add Denver to the long list of failed American cities run by Democrats.

Denver set to follow San Francisco & Seattle’s lead in turning city into giant, open-air homeless camp

A new poll shows the so-called “Right To Survive” initiative would pass by a nearly 2-1 margin if the election were held today, according to polling data obtained by CBS4.

Initiative 300 would overturn Denver’s camping ban and allow the homeless to camp on sidewalks, in parks and any public spaces.

denver.cbslocal.com/2019/03/20/poll-shows-controversial-right-to-survive-initiative-leading/

https://www.investmentwatchblog.com/den ... less-camp/
Ecclesiastes 10:2 A wise man's heart is at his right hand; but a fool's heart at his left.

Thor Heyerdahl Says: “Our lack of knowledge about our own past is appalling.
averagejoe
Walks on Forum Water

Liked in: 2663 posts

Previous

Return to World