Cali is Burning

Re: Cali is Burning

Postby ferri » Nov 19th, 2018, 1:17 pm

Gov. Jerry Brown proposes easing logging rules to thin forests
Faced with the worst summer fire season in 10 years, Gov. Jerry Brown is proposing broad new changes to California’s logging rules that would allow landowners to cut larger trees and build temporary roads without obtaining a permit as a way to thin more forests across the state.

The proposal — which has the support of the timber industry but is being opposed by more than a dozen environmental groups — would represent one of the largest changes to the state’s timber harvesting rules in the past 45 years.

The legislative session ends for the year next Friday. On Thursday, the details were still being negotiated by legislative leaders and the governor’s office behind the scenes and had not yet been formally introduced in a bill or put up for a vote.

More here:
https://www.santacruzsentinel.com/2018/ ... 542Dp2YsAA
“When someone is nasty or treats you poorly, don't take it personally. It says nothing about you, but a lot about them.” ― Michael Josephson

Jflem1983 likes this post.
ferri
Forum Administrator

Liked in: 9539 posts

Postby Drip_Torch » Nov 19th, 2018, 8:15 pm

camp-1119.jpg

Camp fire by the numbers Nov 19th.

151,272 acres or 61217 ha. 70% contained. Full containment expected November 30th

Structures destroyed: 12,462, not including 3,388 minor structures.

Single Residences: 11,713
Multiple Residences: 277
Commercial 472

Damaged structures, not included in the above totals: 476

Resources deployed: (dropped a bit today, for the second day in a row)
Engines 390
Water Tenders 56
Helicopters 17
Hand crews 95
Dozers 51
Total Personnel 4,736

Unaccounted for persons: 699 (dropped 294 names today)

Fatalities 79:
Inside structures: 52
Outside 18
Inside vehicles: 9

Weather forecasts suggest there will be 1 1/4 inches of rain fall on the area Wednesday.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Drip Torch - an upright and steadfast keeper of the flame, but when tilted sideways the contents spill and then our destiny is in the wind...
Drip_Torch
Übergod

Liked in: 944 posts

Postby monilynno » Nov 20th, 2018, 5:26 am

TRUMP WAS RIGHT: Jerry Brown Eased California Logging Rules Back In August https://www.dailywire.com/news/38520/go ... xSpQXWOmSs

ferri likes this post.
monilynno
Fledgling

Liked in: 116 posts

Postby ferri » Nov 20th, 2018, 7:05 am

monilynno wrote:TRUMP WAS RIGHT: Jerry Brown Eased California Logging Rules Back In August https://www.dailywire.com/news/38520/go ... xSpQXWOmSs

I just came in to post that!

Gov. Jerry Brown proposes easing logging rules…

PUBLISHED: August 23, 2018 at 12:00 am | UPDATED: August 31, 2018 at 12:00 am

Before the Gold Rush in the 1850s, forests burned naturally every few decades in California from lightning strikes or Indian tribes’ burning. That cleared dead wood and left mostly larger, healthy trees. But without those fires for the past century or more, today’s forests are much more dense, with up to 10 times as many trees per acre in some places. The dense brush and increased numbers of small, spindly trees cause fires burn much hotter now and climb more easily into the tops of trees, creating massive blazes that burn for months.

More here:
https://www.santacruzsentinel.com/2018/ ... 542Dp2YsAA
“When someone is nasty or treats you poorly, don't take it personally. It says nothing about you, but a lot about them.” ― Michael Josephson
ferri
Forum Administrator

Postby Drip_Torch » Nov 20th, 2018, 11:00 am

There's also another general trend that shouldn't be overlooked and dismissed.

This year, once again, it has been both hotter and dryer.

temp-and-precip.jpg

(If you find this graph interesting, I would suggest looking at the animated script that plots the data by decade.)

******* https://twitter.com/RARohde/status/1061932207940530176 *********

Data set: https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/cag/statewide ... eyear=1980

Fire History: Cal Fire
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Drip_Torch on Nov 22nd, 2018, 4:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Drip Torch - an upright and steadfast keeper of the flame, but when tilted sideways the contents spill and then our destiny is in the wind...

rustled likes this post.
Drip_Torch
Übergod

Postby Ka-El » Nov 20th, 2018, 11:08 am

Drip_Torch wrote: This year, once again, it has been both hotter and dryer.

BC should take note and start budgeting/preparing accordingly :smt045

(Personally, I'm enjoying this warming up here on the north coast. The summers are getting longer, drier and hotter, and we are barely getting any snow even inland anymore - although we can and do still get the occasional massive dump to dig out)
The ability to suspend judgment and change your mind when warranted is a distinguishing feature of critical thought
– apparently not recognizable to those who don’t have the ability.

"I don't know what this means"
Ka-El
Guru

Liked in: 5596 posts

Postby Catsumi » Nov 20th, 2018, 8:05 pm

Hmmm, I know soon I could use your help digging out my dump, Kael. :biggrin:

Where are all those folks in Cali supposed to go now that they've lost their homes and possessions, I wonder. I saw small tents being used to house them on News.
2015 JUST-IN. 2019 JUST-OUT

There is nothing government can give you that it hasn't taken from you in the first place.
Winston Churchill
Catsumi
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 3168 posts

Postby ferri » Nov 21st, 2018, 10:47 am

This is such a nice thing. i like it when "celebrities" put their money where their mouth is.

Green Bay Packers QB Aaron Rodgers donates $1 million to Camp Fire victims

Green Bay Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers on Wednesday announced he was donating $1 million to help the victims of the wildfires in Northern California.

In a video shared on Twitter, he said State Farm insurance would donate $1 -- up to $1 million -- for every retweet of his post that carried that hashtag #RetweetForGood.

"In Northern California, where I was born and raised, the city of Paradise burned to the ground, and many of the residents that got out are now displaced in my hometown of Chico and across the north state," he said while seated wearing a "Butte Strong" hoodie.

More here:
https://www.kcra.com/article/aaron-rodg ... QkIAiAjf4c

averagejoe likes this post.
ferri
Forum Administrator

Postby Queen K » Nov 21st, 2018, 10:54 am

I wonder what Bill Gates is donating.
Here I thought there was nothing lower than a snakes belly in a rut in a ditch. I was wrong.

2 people like this post.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Liked in: 13765 posts

Postby Mordu » Nov 22nd, 2018, 11:23 am

Arnold Schwarzenegger (a Republican) Serves Breakfast to California Firefighters Battling Camp Fire

(with a super-bonus video)

https://etcanada.com/news/389470/arnold ... camp-fire/

And what did Trump do on his visit - - toss a few MAGA hats, gas cans, and marshmallows out to the crowd?
I'm a Canada Climate Action Tracker--no 'Big Government Lie,' it's an in-joke from the "Bickering Room."

Jmfva likes this post.
Mordu
Fledgling

Liked in: 88 posts

Postby Omnitheo » Nov 22nd, 2018, 2:48 pm

Queen K wrote:I wonder what Bill Gates is donating.

Is there an expectation that he donates to the fires? A lot of the Bill and Malinda Gates foundation charity goes to helping improve sanitation, education and health around the world to help impoverished peoples and communities.

How much have the Koch brothers donated to the wildfires?
"The Charter of Rights and Freedoms protects all Canadians, every one of us, even when it is uncomfortable."
- Justin Trudeau
Omnitheo
Guru

Liked in: 4072 posts

Postby rustled » Nov 22nd, 2018, 3:15 pm

Drip_Torch wrote:There's also another general trend that shouldn't be overlooked and dismissed.

This year, once again, it has been both hotter and dryer.

temp-and-precip.jpg

(If you find this graph interesting, I would suggest looking at the animated script that plots the data by decade.)

Link? I spent a bit of time on Google and couldn't come up with it.

I'm curious about what BC would look like. As Ka-El suggested, BC may look the same.

Edited to add: Thanks for adding the links, Drip_Torch.
:130:

Drip_Torch likes this post.
rustled
Guru

Liked in: 7424 posts

Postby Drip_Torch » Nov 22nd, 2018, 8:37 pm

The overall effort on the Camp Fire has been nothing short of amazing.

Every day I've been able to watch the ICS shift briefings, I've had access to two daily incident updates and Butte County Sheriff does a minimum of one update a day to keep the public apprised of their efforts at accounting for all the residents.

While containment is now pegged at 95%, the other numbers continue to be updated daily, and it's clear the overall damage assessment is an ongoing concern.

Today, Butte County just released a new offering to the public that takes transparency and the fire information effort to a whole new level. A series of video surveys and 360 degree drone panoramas of all the major roads in the Town of Paradise, as well as detailed aerial imagery maps of most of the burn areas. The purpose of the imagery was to provide search and recovery teams on the ground with a general overview and to assist multiple agencies in coordinating the response.

This information is now available publicly at:

http://www.ButteCountyRecovers.org/Maps

(Click on the "Drone Images" tab to see the overall stitched image map they've compiled, as well as to gain access to the 360 degree panoramas and 4K track videos.)

Drip_Torch
Übergod

Postby ferri » Dec 12th, 2018, 10:58 am

I hope they can find out who did this. :-X If they do, they should be charged with murder.

PG&E FINDS BULLET-RIDDLED GEAR NEAR WILDFIRE

A Northern California utility says it found damaged power lines and other equipment with bullet holes at two sites near where the Camp Fire started.

https://www.actionnewsnow.com/content/n ... vQMuFNxYXw

Drip_Torch likes this post.
ferri
Forum Administrator

Postby Fancy » Dec 12th, 2018, 11:04 am

Arson? Sabotage? Ugly and illegal activity with horrible consequences?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat

ferri likes this post.
Fancy
Grand Pilgrim

Liked in: 6545 posts

PreviousNext

Return to World