Support Hong Kong

Post by Country plough boy »

https://www.lmtonline.com/news/article/ ... 000211.php

Sounds like the Brits never should have left
Omnitheo
Guru

Re: Support Hong Kong

Post by Omnitheo »

Unfortunately they didn’t really have a choice.
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

I am not anti china, though I reject a lot of their policies. I fully support Hong Kong, yet understand the reality of the situation.

It is very unfortunate for residents of Hong Kong, however the fact it is now within China, and that China is having to integrate the nation back in I feel will lead to positive change for China overall. They certainly recognize the success of Hong Kong and would do well to replicate it and not impose too many changes. Indeed China has grand plans for the area as a whole, and the new bridge between HK, the Mainland and Macau is an attempt to future proof the region once integration occurs.

Change for China is going to have to come from within, not from outside. And now that HK is within, hopefully the influence of one of their most prosperous regions will generate ripples throughout the country as a whole. (I know it’s been within for decades now, but it was still being governed quite differently and independently of the mainland).
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
Country plough boy
Übergod

I remember the day of the handover. I watched on TV with shock and horror. Even then i knew England should have kept it.

Look now. Its barely been 22 years. People are protesting by the millions.

This is not going to end well for Hong Kong.

HK is one of the worlds great cities. An Asian tiger .
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Country plough boy wrote:I remember the day of the handover. I watched on TV with shock and horror. Even then i knew England should have kept it.

Look now. Its barely been 22 years. People are protesting by the millions.

This is not going to end well for Hong Kong.

HK is one of the worlds great cities. An Asian tiger .

The 99 year lease came to an end, just that simple.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Most likely I am wrong from seeing this from a different angle.

With millions of HK's marching and protesting, Big Brother China has international egg on its face and suspect they may have to back down. Those people are not willing to be yoked. What do you do with those peeps who have enjoyed freedom and wish to hang onto their liberties at all costs?

If the Chinese government goes after them with military forces to "control" the wayward ones as they did in Tibet, I'd bet that there will be even more marchers/protestors out in the streets. Bloodshed. Another black eye for China and its repressive regime in the world's eyes, but then, maybe they don't care as they know they can get away with murder as they did and still are in Tibet.

Will be interesting to watch this play out.
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

Omnitheo wrote:I am not anti china, though I reject a lot of their policies. I fully support Hong Kong, yet understand the reality of the situation.

It is very unfortunate for residents of Hong Kong, however the fact it is now within China, and that China is having to integrate the nation back in I feel will lead to positive change for China overall. They certainly recognize the success of Hong Kong and would do well to replicate it and not impose too many changes. Indeed China has grand plans for the area as a whole, and the new bridge between HK, the Mainland and Macau is an attempt to future proof the region once integration occurs.

Change for China is going to have to come from within, not from outside. And now that HK is within, hopefully the influence of one of their most prosperous regions will generate ripples throughout the country as a whole. (I know it’s been within for decades now, but it was still being governed quite differently and independently of the mainland).

Yup. Just have to wait for the old brown men to die off. lol. I’m a little less optimistic or perhaps I think we may not see significant freedoms for another 100 years despite what happens in HK, but all the more power to them. China is more than willing to blow up all of Taiwan to get back what they think belongs to them. School children learn party ideologies and among the teachings is “Xi Jinping Thought” which is in the constitution. Tibetans are being ordered to put Xi shrines in their homes. Christians are being told to replace pictures of Jesus with Xi. In this way, China is fairly close to North Korea, or kind of like an ISIS without a religion. Xi Jinping is China’s god. They have a lot of policies one may want to reject, perhaps way too many to count, or that can be overcome short term. Even 100 years is optimistic.
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

I like China and everything they are doing.
Country plough boy
Übergod

Between Hong Kong and Taiwan the Chinese have several million dissidents inside their own border. I dont think the Communists have that tight a grip on their huge population. Time will tell. Hopefully the CIA is funding some more color revolutions
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

Eventually the street protests will die down. In a few weeks or months, there will be a sudden invasion from China into Hong Kong overnight. Thousands of Chinese troops will move in and the clank of tank treads will occupy every street and the population will be advised to stay inside for the day. Oh, a few brave souls will attempt to take on the troops, but they'll be met with sudden death. After a few days, civilians will be allowed to shop for food and return to work. Those who China determines to be "dissidents" will vanish into the Chinese justice system. Those who don't cause trouble will carry on with their lives.

Who's going to stop China from taking control of Hong Kong? Nobody. It was once part of China and the general population of China feels it belongs to China. The people of Hong Kong don't think so, but what are they going to do?
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Country plough boy wrote:Between Hong Kong and Taiwan the Chinese have several million dissidents inside their own border. I dont think the Communists have that tight a grip on their huge population. Time will tell. Hopefully the CIA is funding some more color revolutions

Only ones who feel Taiwan is part of China is China. People of Taiwan believe they are there own country and not part of the People's Republic of China.
This goes back to battle between Mao Zedong vs Chiang Kai-shek 
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

GordonH wrote:
Only ones who feel Taiwan is part of China is China. People of Taiwan believe they are there own country and not part of the People's Republic of China.
This goes back to battle between Mao Zedong vs Chiang Kai-shek 

No, Taiwan doesn't see themselves as a separate country, they think they are China and should be ruling all of China. China disagrees.
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

GordonH wrote: Only ones who feel Taiwan is part of China is China. People of Taiwan believe they are their own country and not part of the People's Republic of China.

That is correct.
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

Country plough boy wrote: Even then i knew England should have kept it.

It was never England's to keep.

Return to “World”