Manned Mission to Mars - Hype

floppi
Lord of the Board

Re: Manned Mission to Mars - Hype

Post by floppi »

floppi wrote:
Then there is that quantum teleportation of a photon...so I guess that would be even faster.

No I guess not.....nothing faster than light.
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

Highway to Andromeda sounds awfully close to stairway to heaven. You better change the tune at least a little bit.

Instead of putting rubber wheels on this billion mile diameter ball, maybe we can get there faster if we (assuming I am coming too) find a way to make this thing roll. We probably wouldn’t know it’s rolling since we’d be held to the ball by the gravity of all the fuel.

In 4 billion years we may not even realize so much andromeda is merging. The distance between stars is so great that there likely won’t be any collisions, but the Milky Way shape will deform.
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Predictions are that Earth is ending around 2050, I'm going to say 2065 to be more generous, so 4 billion years is a bit hard to imagine a "we" hanging around still with rocket ship technology.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Mike Br.
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Mike Br. »

Queen K wrote:Predictions are that Earth is ending around 2050, I'm going to say 2065 to be more generous, ...

Oh shoot, ... we've just recovered from 2012. Not again ... :200:
I mince no words. Spare me political correctness and platitudes!
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

Queen K wrote:Predictions are that Earth is ending around 2050, I'm going to say 2065 to be more generous, so 4 billion years is a bit hard to imagine a "we" hanging around still with rocket ship technology.

Ironically the earth will be fine, we're only destroying ourselves. Geologically speaking we will be a tiny blip in its life span. Evolution will eventually fill the gaps we've created and erosion will take care of the mess we left behind.

As for rocket ship technology, can't imagine anyone is a bigger fan than mother nature, have a feeling she's ready for us to finally move out and find a place of our own. :smt045
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
daveandanne
Übergod

Post by daveandanne »

Why ruin Mars just like We ruined Earth?. Spend the money and time to try and fix our Planet somehow. This explains why we do not belong on any other Planets because we cannot even get along here. Wars, Atomic weapons, Greed, Sick ideas, and lacking even common sense tell us all we need to know. What gives us the right to ruin everything else?.
floppi
Lord of the Board

Post by floppi »

It won't matter few years down the timeline, there will be another extinction level event where Earth will cleanse itself from all her parasites like us.
floppi
Lord of the Board

Post by floppi »

oldtrucker wrote:
floppi wrote:It won't matter few years down the timeline, there will be another extinction level event where Earth will cleanse itself from all her parasites like us.

Maybe the long term tenants of the earth like crocs/ alligators or other reptiles, or insects, or (other) small mammals will actually be the space explorers and not us. Historically speaking, they survive asteroid collisions.

In another 150 million years, after the earth has been cleaned of parasites like floppi said a few times over, maybe some really smart reptile will start doing math. Maybe other earth-like exoplanets produce multiple space faring civilizations over deep time, and we are just this planets first attempt. Maybe we will be nothing more than a thin line of fossils in the strata that is mildly radioactive and has lots of plastics in it.

I think Sagan said if the history of our planet was reduced to a one year calendar, the time man has been here would be the last second of the last minute on the last day of that calendar. If you ever watch the Hellstrom Chronicle, my money is on them who is going to take over once we are gone.
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

Leap year or non-leap year?

I guess Sagan lied. The planet is 4.54 billion years old so they say. There are roughly 31,536,000 seconds in a year, or 86,400 seconds a day x 365.

So 4.54 Billion years compressed in to one year, means 1 second = 144 years in our year calendar. Man has been around for 144 years? Seriously floppi? Could you please recalculate for me?

I think man has been around for almost a day now. (200,000 years)
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
floppi
Lord of the Board

Post by floppi »

Yeah did get that quote wrong....it's been a while since I saw the show. It was the cosmic calender not earth...my bad.

http://palaeos.com/time/cosmic_calendar.html

https://www.ccsf.edu/Departments/Histor ... lendar.htm

Here's history of earth on a 24 hour clock.

https://flowingdata.com/2012/10/09/hist ... our-clock/

Return to “World”