George Floyd

entertained

George Floyd

Post by entertained »

First of all it's wrong and sad that died. Yes police brutality and racism must end. What does bother me is that he is being called a hero. He has an extensive criminal violent past. Again, not an excuse for him dying but someone who points a gun at a pregnant womens belly is not a hero to me. He has multiple drug charges..not a hero to me. Aggravated assault charges..not a hero to me. Home invasion charges..not a hero to me. I would feel the same if George Floyd was white, Chinese or any other race. Again, before you blast me and call me racist, I am sad he or anyone does from police brutality but I think we need to redefine what a hero is. Police brutality needs to end against ALL men and women!
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Re: George Floyd

Post by Fancy »

Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
spooker

Post by spooker »

entertained wrote:First of all it's wrong and sad that died. Yes police brutality and racism must end. What does bother me is that he is being called a hero. He has an extensive criminal violent past. Again, not an excuse for him dying but someone who points a gun at a pregnant womens belly is not a hero to me. He has multiple drug charges..not a hero to me. Aggravated assault charges..not a hero to me. Home invasion charges..not a hero to me. I would feel the same if George Floyd was white, Chinese or any other race. Again, before you blast me and call me racist, I am sad he or anyone does from police brutality but I think we need to redefine what a hero is. Police brutality needs to end against ALL men and women!

Confused by the use of the word "hero" in this reference ... have not come across anything calling him a hero for anything ... he's become a "symbol" for the issues we have, yet I haven't seen people hold him up as some pillar of virtue, far from it ... but that should have no bearing on the discussion ...

This post almost seems a little subversive in the use of the phrase "not a hero to me" over and over again ... sort of like those hypnotic tapes they started in the 70s ...

No, won't be calling you racist ... nothing in your post comes across that way ... though you do seem a little defensive and I'm not sure if that's from something you've read here or something that has occurred to you personally ...
Nedroj
Übergod

Post by Nedroj »

spooker wrote:
entertained wrote:First of all it's wrong and sad that died. Yes police brutality and racism must end. What does bother me is that he is being called a hero. He has an extensive criminal violent past. Again, not an excuse for him dying but someone who points a gun at a pregnant womens belly is not a hero to me. He has multiple drug charges..not a hero to me. Aggravated assault charges..not a hero to me. Home invasion charges..not a hero to me. I would feel the same if George Floyd was white, Chinese or any other race. Again, before you blast me and call me racist, I am sad he or anyone does from police brutality but I think we need to redefine what a hero is. Police brutality needs to end against ALL men and women!

Confused by the use of the word "hero" in this reference ... have not come across anything calling him a hero for anything ... he's become a "symbol" for the issues we have, yet I haven't seen people hold him up as some pillar of virtue, far from it ... but that should have no bearing on the discussion ...

This post almost seems a little subversive in the use of the phrase "not a hero to me" over and over again ... sort of like those hypnotic tapes they started in the 70s ...

No, won't be calling you racist ... nothing in your post comes across that way ... though you do seem a little defensive and I'm not sure if that's from something you've read here or something that has occurred to you personally ...

Ive heard him being called a "Hero" on multiple left-leaning news organizations. He is no hero and while he was arrested for simply using counterfeit currency, one can only assume the Cops looked up his vast criminal record and deemed him repeat offender/medium/high risk of resisting arrest. What I'd like to see is the video before the cop had him on the ground. No it doesnt justify unintentional homicide but it would show some context as to maybe why the cop did what he did.

If Mr Floyd resisted arrest, fighting back I feel the cops involved should get a lessor sentence than if he didnt fight back. And if he didnt fight back that ONE cop should get the maxium sentence.
'I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand' - Confucius
Centurion
Board Meister

Post by Centurion »

If George Floyd had not driven to a store intoxicated on drugs and alcohol, used counterfeit money to buy cigarettes, refused to return cigarettes and cooperate with store employees and resisted arrest when confronted by police, I am 100% certain he would be alive today. Not exactly the behavior of someone who was "trying to get a fresh start from his criminal past".

spooker

Post by spooker »

removed
Last edited by Catsumi on Jun 9th, 2020, 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off topic
rob_c

Post by rob_c »

:up:

ieucnijdwc ugwbdviyc
Last edited by rob_c on Jul 5th, 2020, 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ok_Boomer
Banned

Post by Ok_Boomer »

rob_c wrote:I have often wondered why there is very little in the media about Floyd's past.

Because it is irrelevant and none of our business.
The great appear great because we are on our knees: Let us rise!

When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross
Gilchy
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Gilchy »

rob_c wrote:I have often wondered why there is very little in the media about Floyd's past. I do get my news from several different sources....I try to inform myself as best I can so I have the truth or as close to the truth as I can get.As good as some media outlets are it seems to me quite often the whole story is not told.I see that on castanet sometimes as well.I am not criticizing nor judging that.But I do wonder if there is a reason why sometimes there is a lack of details to a news story.Some news outlets are biased?Having said that...regardless of Floyd's past or his character as a human being it seems to me that nobody should be subjected to the excessive force that was used on him by a police officer.....let alone die from it.And 3 other officers watch it and do nothing?There is obviously a huge problem that needs to be addressed.

You answered your own question on Floyd's past - it doesn't matter. It doesn't matter if he had a criminal history or if he were Ghandi reincarnate. The fact that potentially resisting arrest can lead to death is the issue.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

spooker wrote:
Centurion wrote:If George Floyd had not driven to a store intoxicated on drugs and alcohol, used counterfeit money to buy cigarettes, refused to return cigarettes and cooperate with store employees and resisted arrest when confronted by police, I am 100% certain he would be alive today. Not exactly the behavior of someone who was "trying to get a fresh start from his criminal past".

So you're fine with the police being executioners if someone does the wrong thing?

Exactly! No one should be fine with this.

Tired of him being held up as a "hero" and not what he is, a symbol of what has become seen more and more as a norm of police acting as judge, jury and executioner.

More and more we are seeing "On the spot" executions. Why didn't that officer get his knee off his neck when THREE others were nearby? I mean four cops to hold one man. Seriously, that's all it should have been right? Then everyone would have gone home, and Floyd would have been held for a time. Gotten a lawyer. Thousands would not be shot with rubber bullets. Hundreds would still have their businesses. Millions of dollars would not have been spent one way or another, for or against.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

rob_c wrote:I have often wondered why there is very little in the media about Floyd's past.I do get my news from several different sources....I try to inform myself as best I can so I have the truth or as close to the truth as I can get.As good as some media outlets are it seems to me quite often the whole story is not told.I see that on castanet sometimes as well.I am not criticizing nor judging that.But I do wonder if there is a reason why sometimes there is a lack of details to a news story.Some news outlets are biased?Having said that...regardless of Floyd's past or his character as a human being [b]it seems to me that nobody should be subjected to the excessive force that was used on him by a police officer.....let alone die from it.And 3 other officers watch it and do nothing?There is obviously a huge problem that needs to be addressed.[/b]

About the three. Trainees, right.

I'll bet they were telling themselves in the moment that they would never do that to a man, BUT since they are subordinate to their trainer, they could not call him off.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Ok_Boomer wrote:
rob_c wrote:I have often wondered why there is very little in the media about Floyd's past.

Soon OK_Boomer, we will all hold "History Credits" where any crime or misdemeanor will be brought into a courtroom and people with pages and pages and pages of crimes will no longer be let out again. California's Three Strikes law attempts to address this very issue.

But Canada? Nope. Got pages of crimes registered against you? No problem, out you go. Be back with this "Promise to appear" pager, k?

As for George Floyd, being laid to rest today, his seemingly petty crime and subsequent execution does not match up to the huge white collar crimes being prosecuted in Trump's very circles, where the payment is time in jail and early release. There is a huge discrepency being seen time and time again as to who get executed on the spot and who isn't.
rob_c

Post by rob_c »

Ok_Boomer wrote:

Thats what I said....please pay attention.....read my whole comment.
Gilchy
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Gilchy »

Then why bring it up at all?
Ok_Boomer
Banned

Post by Ok_Boomer »

Queen K wrote:Soon OK_Boomer, we will all hold "History Credits" where any crime or misdemeanor will be brought into a courtroom and people with pages and pages and pages of crimes will no longer be let out again. California's Three Strikes law attempts to address this very issue.

But Canada? Nope. Got pages of crimes registered against you? No problem, out you go. Be back with this "Promise to appear" pager, k?

As for George Floyd, being laid to rest today, his seemingly petty crime and subsequent execution does not match up to the huge white collar crimes being prosecuted in Trump's very circles, where the payment is time in jail and early release. There is a huge discrepency being seen time and time again as to who get executed on the spot and who isn't.

I'm not suggesting that prior history shouldn't be taken into account when sentencing a guilty person. But that's not what happened here. Floyd was not being judged in a court of law, he was executed by a cop.
The great appear great because we are on our knees: Let us rise!

When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross

Return to “World”