A voice with a message for the world

common_sense_guy
Übergod

A voice with a message for the world

Post by common_sense_guy »

Now I will preface this by saying I don't like rap. But it was the words and the message that really spoke to me. I would like people to watch a video by Tom MacDonald called fake woke. He is a white Canadian. I would like to know what other people think. This is a completely independent music maker video producer all doing it on his own with no record company behind him. He is speaking about everything wrong in the world and isn't afraid to say it because he has no record deal. Black and white both agree with what he is saying and I really do believe his message can change the world for what craziness is going on today. Do yourself a favour listen to the lyrics and you will most likely be blown away by what he is saying. I really am excited to hear other people's take on his lyrics.

You don't learn when you are talking. You can only learn while you're listening.
lifegives
Board Meister

Re: A voice with a message for the world

Post by lifegives »

Just in case you want to read it instead of suffering through the music:

https://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/tommacd ... ewoke.html

Yes, he's complaining about normal evolution of society. Nothing very special in that, "white privilege" and "guilty by association" caught my attention though I don't agree with his perception of it. Had to recognize my own years ago, same for being "male" and not quite getting the same experiences my wife had even though we'd be doing the same activity.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

Meh. Very subpar lyrics, cliches mixed together, trying to be edgy with all the topics...
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

lifegives wrote: Had to recognize my own years ago, same for being "male" .
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

Even Steven wrote:Meh. Very subpar lyrics, cliches mixed together, trying to be edgy with all the topics...
Took the words out of my mouth.

There is nothing deep or meaningful in these lyrics. To me it sounds like someone reading a rhyming list of "complaints about society" that someone grabbed off of facebook. To be meaningful you'd need to actually pick one of those complains to examine it in more depth.

"It's easier to buy a gun than to get a job". LOL just picking on one line. Generally speaking it's easier to buy anything than to get a job. Anyone with 1/2 a brain and 30 seconds of consideration can see there's nothing of actual substance to that statement. Might sound insightful when you're getting these lyrics in rapid succession and moving from topic to topic - but if you stop and actually reflect on what's being said...nothing of substance.
common_sense_guy
Übergod

Based on some of your comments you're not really understanding the weight of what he is saying. Or the fact that he is even saying it. No one else has the balls to say that because of cancel culture. I've spent hours watching black people react to the video and white people reacting to the video. It's proof that we have common ground to fight what needs to be fought. The media really does want us at each other's throats because it takes away from joining together to fight what we really need to be fighting. Big Pharma, big teck, corrupt politicians, corrupt corporations, and media.
To me it was very refreshing to find something that black-and-white completely agree on. It gives me hope that we can get through all the BS and the cancel culture and all the evil corruptness that is in our society. The power privilege.
He is able to do it because he does not have the backing of a record label or anything else. He is doing it all on his own right down to his videos. When truly woke black and white people see this and everybody agrees with the message I don't think you can trivialize the impact something like this can make on a society. There's a reason it's burning up the charts with absolutely no corporate backing or anything like that. It may not be a song you want to hear but it's a song you should hear.
You don't learn when you are talking. You can only learn while you're listening.
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

So it's one thing to agree with him. It's another to find anything he says insightful or new.

I did not hear a single statement that I wasn't already aware of. He drew some comparisons...many of which made little sense.

A rallying cry - sure. But some sort of a meaningful message - no.

"Balls to say it"? What? Step back and think about this - #1 pop song in US today is WAP. And you say this is edgy and he's risking himself to say it? NO - the exact opposite. He's stringing together what is already a bunch of well known societal issues. If anything he's playing it safe. It takes balls to go against the current - not with it. Nobody is disputing the issues he's shining light on. But that's all he's doing... shining a light on what's already had a light. If anything I'd call him a bandwagon jumper. This may surprise you but in the RAP and POP music genre - the safe bet to appeal to the audience is to complain about society. "Having Balls" would be to do the exact opposite and make a song about the good things out there.
common_sense_guy
Übergod

TylerM4 wrote:So it's one thing to agree with him. It's another to find anything he says insightful or new.

I did not hear a single statement that I wasn't already aware of. He drew some comparisons...many of which made little sense.

A rallying cry - sure. But some sort of a meaningful message - no.

"Balls to say it"? What? Step back and think about this - #1 pop song in US today is WAP. And you say this is edgy and he's risking himself to say it? NO - the exact opposite. He's stringing together what is already a bunch of well known societal issues. If anything he's playing it safe. It takes balls to go against the current - not with it. Nobody is disputing the issues he's shining light on. But that's all he's doing... shining a light on what's already had a light. If anything I'd call him a bandwagon jumper. This may surprise you but in the RAP and POP music genre - the safe bet to appeal to the audience is to complain about society. "Having Balls" would be to do the exact opposite and make a song about the good things out there.
It's totally okay that you don't understand. I don't expect everybody to understand and judging by a lot of the Forum posters they never will understand things. But as long as more and more people are smartening up things can only get better hopefully.
lifegives
Board Meister

Post by lifegives »

common_sense_guy wrote: It's totally okay that you don't understand. I don't expect everybody to understand and judging by a lot of the Forum posters they never will understand things. But as long as more and more people are smartening up things can only get better hopefully.
By what measure are you qualifying "smartening up"? That's typically one of those terms that means "thinking like me" which would display a division. This singer's message seems to be either a rallying cry to get like-minded sharing it or an offensive against snowflakes. Personally I wouldn't use someone else's words to debate an issue, if I can't explain it in my own words then I haven't understood it well enough, but that's the bar that I set for myself.
Zoso
Übergod

Post by Zoso »

Wont be long before all the garbage happening that is mentioned in the music to be deemed a product of “ the man “which of course it is . I could see this becoming a sort of new freedom chant sort of speak, or something like it.
There is absolutely no way to express opinion anymore without getting hated . Thats all there is.
Strong and free
common_sense_guy
Übergod

I encourage anybody that is suffering from an addiction of any sort or somebody's family member that is suffering from somebody that has an addiction to watch the Tom MacDonald video called sober. I also encourage you to read the comments to see how many people his voice is helping. It may give you hope and I hope it does
Jonrox

Post by Jonrox »

Sounds about right for the current generation... just a lot of complaining with no real insight, substance, or solutions. It’s nothing more than complaining for the sake of complaining, and it’s all stuff we’ve heard plenty of times before.

He’s just another special snowflake who gets overly offended by people who don’t share his views.

If you want to watch a music video with a message for the world that actually says something important...

idlfl
Board Meister

Post by idlfl »

Jonrox wrote:Sounds about right for the current generation... just a lot of complaining with no real insight, substance, or solutions. It’s nothing more than complaining for the sake of complaining, and it’s all stuff we’ve heard plenty of times before.

He’s just another special snowflake who gets overly offended by people who don’t share his views.

If you want to watch a music video with a message for the world that actually says something important...

Oh boy I love this video it shows black on black crime accurately!!! This DEFENITLY IS America.
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

Huh, here I go thinking independent thought went out of vogue.

Get in line, do as I say, not as I do.

Divide and conquer.

Never just be people, required to be a 'race.'

In a race race, there is no checkered flag.

Just idle thoughts of a high rev limit mind.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

Jonrox wrote:If you want to watch a music video with a message for the world that actually says something important...

Thanks for sharing! Wish this was the video showcased in the original post.

Return to “World”