RIP Prince Philip

devilsspawn

Flying at half mast

Post by devilsspawn »

I have a question as a country that is still under reign of the royal family and such, should we not be flying ALL flags at half mast when one of our countries leaders die? I know I am not the best with knowing the proper terms and protocols of our country but I was raised to know that we should fly our flags at half mast as respect. Since our beloved Prince Phillip passed away today should we not show our support to our country and the family by flying ALL of our flags at half mast? I know that City Hall in Kelowna sometimes performs this act of respect on Remembrance Day but that is not the most noticeable flag in this town. The flag at Orchard Park is the biggest flag we have (minus it is much smaller than the original one I grew up knowing) and should it not be put to half mast in honour and respect to Prince Phillip, the royal family and our Country. We may not agree with having the family still in power over our country but no matter what they are and we should show some respect which is a dying act this day and age.

I know I will get comments of good and bad on this and I don't care I just want to bring some attention to the fact that some traditions should still he held in place for futures to come. We live in a world where respect, manners, and morals don't exist and we have forgotten how to be kind to one another and put other before ourselves and respect our elders, we should at least try and keep some traditions just to keep some sort of hope for our distant descendants. Just saying.

Just had a question that is all.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: Flying at half mast

Post by GordonH »

devilsspawn wrote: I have a question as a country that is still under reign of the royal family and such, should we not be flying ALL flags at half mast when one of our countries leaders die? I know I am not the best with knowing the proper terms and protocols of our country but I was raised to know that we should fly our flags at half mast as respect. Since our beloved Prince Phillip passed away today should we not show our support to our country and the family by flying ALL of our flags at half mast? I know that City Hall in Kelowna sometimes performs this act of respect on Remembrance Day but that is not the most noticeable flag in this town. The flag at Orchard Park is the biggest flag we have (minus it is much smaller than the original one I grew up knowing) and should it not be put to half mast in honour and respect to Prince Phillip, the royal family and our Country. We may not agree with having the family still in power over our country but no matter what they are and we should show some respect which is a dying act this day and age.

I know I will get comments of good and bad on this and I don't care I just want to bring some attention to the fact that some traditions should still he held in place for futures to come. We live in a world where respect, manners, and morals don't exist and we have forgotten how to be kind to one another and put other before ourselves and respect our elders, we should at least try and keep some traditions just to keep some sort of hope for our distant descendants. Just saying.

Just had a question that is all.
Federal & Provincial Government building (maybe local municipal offices) should be flying at half mast. OPM flag is privately owned, so it would be up to ownership.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

... and here's your answer....

There are apparently provincial and federal protocols for flying flags at haft-mast.

Federal -

https://www.canada.ca/en/canadian-herit ... tices.html

Notice of half-masting
Masting period: From now until sunset on the day of the funeral or the memorial service (date to be determined).
Occasion: DEATH OF HIS ROYAL HIGHNESS THE DUKE OF EDINBURGH
Masting location(s): All Government of Canada buildings and establishments in Canada and abroad, including the Peace Tower.

Province of BC -

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/gove ... ocol/flags

Flying Flags at Half-Mast
Flying flags at the half-mast position (PDF) is a sign of respect and mourning for an individual or to mark a special day. The position of the flag when flying at half-mast depends on its size, the length of the flagstaff and its location. Half-mast generally means the position of the flag is exactly half-way down the flag pole.

The Office of Protocol administers the policy for flying flags at half-mast. All government buildings in B.C., including the Legislative building and all other public sector buildings, must follow the half-masting rules (PDF). These rules serve as a guideline for any other building or residence in the province that flies a provincial flag.

In addition to flying flags at half-mast to recognize and mourn a death, the following special days are also observed:

April 9 – Vimy Ridge Day (at the B.C. Legislature only)
April 28 – Workers' Mourning Day
June 23 – National Day of Remembrance for Victims of Terrorism
Second Sunday in September – Firefighters' National Memorial Day
Last Sunday in September – Police and Peace Officers' National Memorial Day
November 11 – Remembrance Day
December 6 – National Day of Remembrance and Action on Violence Against Women
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

removed
Last edited by Catsumi on Apr 9th, 2021, 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off topic
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

I 100% agree with the OP,

I'm all in on tradition , half mast to honour those that have gone
before us.

Not for every sod, but of notable.

Wow, 99 ! There's a full pull.
Rest easy, you earned it.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

removed
Last edited by Catsumi on Apr 9th, 2021, 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Response to removed
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

temoved
Last edited by Catsumi on Apr 9th, 2021, 8:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Response to removed
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah

RIP Prince Philip

Post by stuphoto »

https://www.castanet.net/news/World/330 ... dies-at-99

I am honestly not into the Royalty scene, but I do believe we lost a good man.

My mom had the opportunity to meet him 30 or so years ago, the same time as meeting Robert Bateman.
She loved the experience and it was one of her fondest memories until the day she died.
She said he was a nice, and it sounded like down to earth fellow.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Re: RIP Prince Philip

Post by JLives »

Monarchies are archaic but this was very sweet. He was a good husband.
Attachments
c1e82273451a08765799c5d5effef49a.jpg
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Usually I don’t pay much attention to the flag at OPM, I noticed it flying at half mast yesterday.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

I was (barely] listening to a Sat morning CBC radio program where the host spewed just two sentences about our Queen’s loss of consort. The rest of the segment was devoted to Queen Victoria’s loss of Albert.

Gee, only 100 years behind today’s story.

Way to go, CBC!
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

I just read Alex Trebek's book. He has a good story in there about the Queen. He ended up talking to the Queen for 15 minutes in a receiving line one time when she and Phillip were visiting Canada. The Queen was waiting for Phillip to come through the line behind her, and apparently he had stopped to talk to two attractive girls in the line. So here's Alex Trebek and Queen Elizabeth chatting away, and the press starts noticing and taking pictures, and suddenly there's a buzz as people are wondering why the Queen has taken such an interest in this Trebek guy.

So Alex is thinking wow, the Queen really liked me. And then the next night he's in the receiving line again, and he's expecting the Queen to shake his hand and acknowledge their new-found friendship. She comes through the line and as she comes up to Trebek, her new buddy, she says to him "who are you, and what do you do?" LOL She didn't remember him at all.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

^^^^

After years and thousands of meet-n-greets of note worthies, would you remember?

I admire QE II. She has been front and centre through WW 2 onwards, never quit or whimpered, and STlLL going like an EverReady battery. Her offspring have been disappointing so far, a threat in themselves to the Monarchy tradition. Go Elizabeth, you are remarkable in longevity and your choice of consort.

In our present world consisting of hatred, malfeasance and of tearing down institutions and general good manners, she remains a beacon to us of the converse.

Long live our Queen.

Always gracious.
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Catsumi wrote:^^^^

After years and thousands of meet-n-greets of note worthies, would you remember?

I admire QE II. She has been front and centre through WW 2 onwards, never quit or whimpered, and STlLL going like an EverReady battery. Her offspring have been disappointing so far, a threat in themselves to the Monarchy tradition. Go Elizabeth, you are remarkable in longevity and your choice of consort.

In our present world consisting of hatred, malfeasance and of tearing down institutions and general good manners, she remains a beacon to us of the converse.

Long live our Queen.

Always gracious.
Cats - if you read the book you would realize that Alex wasn't criticizing the Queen for not remembering him, it was more a self-deprecating shot at himself for having even the temporary audacity at thinking that the Queen WOULD remember him, when in fact he freely admits that he was not worth remembering, if that makes any sense. Alex was a true Canadian, and so of course he has to be a Canadian throughout the book and always be as humble as possible via personal self-deprecation.

When I was reading it I kept thinking "how many Americans are reading this right now gobsmacked as they realize they've been duped into thinking Alex was an American? LOL It was kind of like when I was watching the US feed of the opening ceremonies of the 2010 Olympics and Steve Nash was standing in the line of Canadian athletes, and the American announcers were saying "what is Steve Nash doing in that line? That doesn't make any sense" - they had no clue that Steve Nash, one of the greatest basketball players in the NBA, was a Canadian. You could hear their heads exploding on live TV.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Agreed. Trebeck was a marvel.

The above post was my small tribute to Her Majesty whom I was lucky enough to “see” once when I was just a tadpole. I will never forget that experience. Oh, Prince Philip was there too.

Did you know he donated blood to sort out the mess of skeletons after the Russian Czar’s family and retainers were all buried in the same grave pit to finally prove the remains were of his family members?

That was quite recent...last 20 years or so?
Last edited by Catsumi on Apr 16th, 2021, 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added missing digit

Unknown

Return to “World”