Teenager killed by police

Glacier
The Pilgrim

Re: Teenager killed by police

Post by Glacier »

tweet.png
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

Zoso wrote:I’m under the impression the one that got killed is the one that called the cops on the ones she was trying to stab and defend her grandmother from. To bad she got the darwin award for going berzerk in front of a cop.
This is my understanding as well. That she called 911. And that she lives in Ohio which is a stand your ground state. How many times do we see people saying you have a right to defend yourself? Well that could well be what's happening here. Was this kid allowed to defend herself? And I'll bet if guns were taken from police, they would rapidly figure out how to deescalate volatile situations. But they aren't willing to accept ANY risk and resort to shooting immediately.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

I think that a large segment has lost the ability to understand that sometimes people do things and are killed by the police and that this outcome was preordained by the actions of the lunatics running around with weapons.

Has anybody yet answered the question of why Adam Toledo had a gun? Or are they still trying to say that he was a great kid with a bright future who was loved by everyone.

The tragedy of a person being shot and killed is real but these situations have to be tempered with rational reasoning and the truth.

Not every cop looks like Derek Chauvin.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

Well that could well be what's happening here. Was this kid allowed to defend herself?
If she was the one who called the police (and I don't see that as what actually happened) she would have or should have been the first one to recognize the police presence and she would have likely not been armed.

However, what you theorize may have been her "defending" herself doesn't hold water because the scene where she is basically running at the girl in pink suggests an attack versus defense.

I am with you in one respect; not speaking to this particular tragedy but the police in so many instances resort to deadly force very quickly and as you said, are unwilling to accept any risk.

This officer I think saved the life of the girl in pink. I wish that the other girl hadn't had to die but I don't see any other outcome based on her actions.

As a white male, I fully understand that if I brandish a weapon which I have been ordered to surrender or just plain shouldn't have, the probability of things not going well for me are high. I would ask that no one under those circumstances attack the police for their actions. I would be considered to have brought it on myself.

White is not a shield nor should black be a target.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

What difference does it make if you were the one who called the police? Stabbing people is a no-no.

If you try to stab somebody when the police are near, you're going to have a bad time.
Sparki55
Guru

Post by Sparki55 »

JLives wrote:And I'll bet if guns were taken from police, they would rapidly figure out how to deescalate volatile situations. But they aren't willing to accept ANY risk and resort to shooting immediately.
I was a cop and approached the situation shown in the video and I didn't have a gun, I would have turned around so fast and left you wouldn't even know I was there.

For the brave, other option without a firearm:

1. Charge the person wielding the knife about to stab someone and shoulder check them harder than a quarterback being sacked. Then deal with restraining the arm with the knife and hope to god someone else doesn't jump in and attack me from behind. Should I fail to restrain the knife arm, likely I'd be stabbed, wounded, and now unable to stop the attacker.

2. Scream at them to stop and hope they listen.

3. Fire an inaccurate and unreliable taser hoping the shock lands in an area to render the attacker incapacitated, hoping the shock and convulses don't allow for flailing with a knife in hand. ​

4. Wait for backup and then go in with multiple officers knowing someone is likely to be stabbed and the attacker will have stabbed and potentially killed someone in the time it takes to wait.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

JLives wrote: And I'll bet if guns were taken from police, they would rapidly figure out how to deescalate volatile situations. But they aren't willing to accept ANY risk and resort to shooting immediately.
I'll take that bet. There would have been no "de-escalation" in this instance, you probably would just have two dead black girls instead of one.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

JLives wrote: This is my understanding as well. That she called 911. And that she lives in Ohio which is a stand your ground state. How many times do we see people saying you have a right to defend yourself? Well that could well be what's happening here. Was this kid allowed to defend herself? And I'll bet if guns were taken from police, they would rapidly figure out how to deescalate volatile situations. But they aren't willing to accept ANY risk and resort to shooting immediately.
I'm surprised by the outlook here:
- It doesn't matter who called. The officer had no idea of that fact and had no time to sort that out.
- Why the focus on the officer not wanting to accept risk? It's very clear that the officer feared for harm to the other women, not himself.
- Self Defense? Maybe it started at that, but the video shows no evidence of "self defense" which means the officer saw no aspect of self defense either. What he saw was one person with a deadly weapon attacking another unarmed individual with the attacker not responding to commands.

Personally, If I was in the process of fending off someone attacking me with a deadly weapon I would NOT want RCMP to attempt to "de-escalate" the situation. If my life is in immediate peril, I want that officer to do everything in his power to stop the attack as soon as possible.
Jonrox

Post by Jonrox »

Last night both Don Lemon and Chris Cuomo agreed that the officer really had no choice given the circumstances... and I agree with them. The entire incident took only a matter of seconds after the officer showed up and given how fast things were happening, his duty to protect the girl from being stabbed ruled out any other options for force. He had to make a literal split second decision in order to protect her.

The two CNN commentators also agreed that the incident was likely going to end up with somebody being killed, either the attacker or the girl being stabbed... and the officer's duty at that moment is to protect the girl from being stabbed, not the attacker.
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

mexi cali wrote:I think that a large segment has lost the ability to understand that sometimes people do things and are killed by the police and that this outcome was preordained by the actions of the lunatics running around with weapons.
Sometimes it is impossible to do the 'right" thing. From what I saw the girl was going at another girl with knife in hand ready to strike and the police officer, in the heat of that moment, used deadly force to save the other girl from being stabbed.
mexi cali wrote: Has anybody yet answered the question of why Adam Toledo had a gun? Or are they still trying to say that he was a great kid with a bright future who was loved by everyone.
Don't know why he had a gun or why he had apparently fired it off, but I did see him toss it and then turn around and put his hands up to surrender before being shot in the chest.
Necro
Übergod

Post by Necro »

Ka-El wrote:Don't know why he had a gun or why he had apparently fired it off, but I did see him toss it and then turn around and put his hands up to surrender before being shot in the chest.
Lil Homicide was shooting at random vehicles. That is why police were called to the area.
Did you know 1 of 3 Biden voters are as dumb as the other 2? #LetsGoBrandon!
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

Necro wrote:
Ka-El wrote:Don't know why he had a gun or why he had apparently fired it off, but I did see him toss it and then turn around and put his hands up to surrender before being shot in the chest.
Lil Homicide was shooting at random vehicles. That is why police were called to the area.
“The offender still turned with a gun in his hand. This occurred in eight-tenths of a second.”
https://chicago.suntimes.com/news/2021/ ... ce-bodycam
These split-second decisions in high-stress situations must be incredibly difficult to make.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

Necro wrote: Lil Homicide was shooting at random vehicles. That is why police were called to the area.
Thanks. Didn't know that. Still, not normal procedure to shoot someone surrendering with their hands up, is it? :135:
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

rustled wrote:“The offender still turned with a gun in his hand. This occurred in eight-tenths of a second.”
Ummm, clearly his hands were empty and in the air when he turned to surrender.

To be clear, the kid was obviously not some angel, especially if he was randomly firing his gun at vehicles.
But surrendering should not be met by a gunshot to the chest. Some people should not be police.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

Ka-El wrote:
rustled wrote:“The offender still turned with a gun in his hand. This occurred in eight-tenths of a second.”
Ummm, clearly his hands were empty and in the air when he turned to surrender.

To be clear, the kid was obviously not some angel, especially if he was randomly firing his gun at vehicles.
But surrendering should not be met by a gunshot to the chest. Some people should not be police.
I think we can all read the piece, watch the video (noting how they had to slow it down from the time he dropped the gun to being shot), understand that in this case the cop was alone and facing someone armed with a gun he had been firing, consider the split-second timing, and just as with the shooting of Ma'Khia Bryant, recognize this for what it is: another terrible tragedy which must be investigated by the proper authorities - not pre-judged by armchair critics who have never faced what the cop who had to act in a split second now has to live with every day.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.

Return to “World”