Australia Shifts to the Left

fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Australia Shifts to the Left

Post by fluffy »

Australian Labor topples conservatives, PM faces early tests

"CANBERRA, Australia -

Australia's center-left opposition party toppled the conservative government after almost a decade in power, and Prime Minister-elect Anthony Albanese in his Saturday election victory speech promised sharper reductions in greenhouse gas emissions while he faces an early foreign policy test"

>snip<

[i"] Labor has promised more financial assistance and a robust social safety net as Australia grapples with the highest inflation since 2001 and soaring housing prices.

The party also plans to increase minimum wages, and on the foreign policy front, it proposed to establish a Pacific defense school to train neighboring armies in response to China's potential military presence on the Solomon Islands on Australia's doorstep.

It also wants to tackle climate change with a more ambitious 43% reduction in greenhouse gas emissions by 2030 and net zero emissions by 2050."[/i]

https://www.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=2447830&jwsource=cl
Last edited by fluffy on May 22nd, 2022, 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
BC Landlord
Guru

Re: Australia Shifts to the Left

Post by BC Landlord »

They are not that far from the south ... :biggrin:
zoo
Übergod

Post by zoo »

Interesting that one of the media's biggest reasoning for the shift to a new party was based on the crazy inflation and home price explosion. It was also used extensively in the parties own platform while the election was in full swing. Go figure.
One minute these issue's are not the fault of the current government and then they are.

Fitting to use this kind of thinking here too.
YzzzR1
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by YzzzR1 »

BC Landlord wrote: May 22nd, 2022, 8:07 am They are not that far from the south ... :biggrin:
In my world, shifting to the left means you're downshifting not upshifting possibly even going into reverse.. :biggrin:

You Can Tune A Piano But You Can't Tuna Fish. REO SpdWgn
d0nb
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by d0nb »

Scott Morrison and his Liberal Party made some obvious mistakes, like failing to direct more COVID relief money to sectors of the workforce that are dominated by women and not responding adequately to his oppositions’ pathetic ploy of exacerbating fears that coal exports and use of fossil fuels are worsening Australia’s perennial fires and floods while pretending that they can take actions that will have a meaningful impact on the climate. Like Canada, Australia needs ‘conservative’ leadership that stands for reason, freedom and prosperity and can navigate the standard hate and fear campaign tactics from the left. It’s unfortunate that leaders like Morrison, O’Toole and Kenney failed to meet that challenge.
The biggest problem of censorship is that it tends to be the last resort of the ideologically arrogant and intellectually lazy … A day spent in defense of freedom of speech is a day spent in the company of bigots and hate mongers. – Omid Malekan
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Australia has been bouncing between liberals and labour for last 50+ years, nothing really new there.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.

Return to “World”