Phishing Schemes - CRA

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.

Phishing Schemes - CRA

Postby AltaRed » Mar 27th, 2018, 12:37 pm

I didn't see a thread on this but wanted to mention that given tax season, the scammers are out in force trying to scare people into 'settling' their CRA debts before pending action on collection. The latest came to me today from 289-919-5344 which is a known scam number per Google.

gman313 likes this post.
AltaRed

Liked in: 22 posts

Re: Phishing Schemes - CRA

Postby gman313 » Mar 27th, 2018, 12:57 pm

yep I've gotten two

and they seem to be able to make it look like it's coming from a local number
gman313
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 1274 posts

Postby my5cents » Mar 27th, 2018, 1:15 pm

What ! Do you mean, that the CRA doesn't send the RCMP to arrest someone in arrears if they don't "pay up" with iTunes cards ????

I don't know what is sadder :
    - The fact the RCMP, just "op out"..... "we don't investigate that crime"....
    - (and because of above) unscrupulous individuals operated with immunity from foreign countries and victimize our citizens
    - That some of our citizens are so poorly informed and easily fooled that they actually think CRA can authorize arrests and seek payment with iTunes cards
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"

Glacier likes this post.
my5cents
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 1227 posts

Postby Catsumi » May 16th, 2018, 9:45 am

A prerecorded message from 613-777-8342 claiming to be CRA advising me that a tax fraud has occurred with my return.
Please return call asap so the matter can be dealt with quickly.

I agree to the fraud part, but it was committed against me by the CRA. They can refund my cheques for last few years.

Haha :laugh:
There is nothing government can give you that it hasn't taken from you in the first place.
Winston Churchill
Catsumi
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 2447 posts

Postby RupertBear » May 16th, 2018, 10:24 am

My big worry is that they are going to force me to declare the several million dollars I've got coming my way from a Nigerian prince. The cash should be in my bank account any day now, because I sent Prince Scamobly all my banking information over three weeks ago.

Piecemaker likes this post.
RupertBear
Board Meister

Liked in: 507 posts

Postby savvybusinessman » May 16th, 2018, 11:06 am

Catsumi wrote:A prerecorded message from 613-777-8342 claiming to be CRA advising me that a tax fraud has occurred with my return.

I agree to the fraud part, but it was committed against me by the CRA. They can refund my cheques for last few years.

I received such a message on my cell phone but it said the police were going to show up at my house in one hour and arrest me.
savvybusinessman
Board Meister

Liked in: 225 posts

Postby Fancy » May 16th, 2018, 12:10 pm

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=77570

Even have the prerecorded from a 604 exchange. Happens every year.
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Fancy
Grand Pilgrim

Liked in: 6076 posts

Postby GordonH » May 16th, 2018, 1:40 pm

Catsumi wrote:A prerecorded message from 613-777-8342 claiming to be CRA advising me that a tax fraud has occurred with my return.

savvybusinessman wrote:I received such a message on my cell phone but it said the police were going to show up at my house in one hour and arrest me.

My response would be.... I will be waiting & looking forward to the visit.
When you have to start compromising yourself and your morals for the people around you, it’s probably time to change the people around you.
GordonH
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 7408 posts
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Postby Bsuds » May 16th, 2018, 2:07 pm

We got that call over a week ago and no police yet. I am not sleeping well waiting for the boom to drop! :biggrin:
Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Liked in: 11099 posts

Postby Catsumi » May 16th, 2018, 6:11 pm

RupertBear wrote:My big worry is that they are going to force me to declare the several million dollars I've got coming my way from a Nigerian prince. The cash should be in my bank account any day now, because I sent Prince Scamobly all my banking information over three weeks ago.

Not to worry. The Nigerian Prince is sipping tea at my place, now. Both of us anxiously awaiting the windfall into my bank account. My most pressing concern at the moment, will he still be here at dinnertime? What does one feed to a Prince with such booty that may come my way? Mac and cheese?

:biggrin:
There is nothing government can give you that it hasn't taken from you in the first place.
Winston Churchill
Catsumi
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 2447 posts

Return to Social Concerns