Conservatism Is Dying

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Conservatism Is Dying

Post by LANDM »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Jul 21st, 2021, 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off Topic
You and 71 others Like this post
fluffy
Buddha of the Board

Post by fluffy »

rustled wrote: Jul 21st, 2021, 10:45 amIf the Liberals continue on the irresponsible (IMO) path they're currently on, I'll want to see a Conservative majority next election. The LPC will have to rebuild, and I doubt they'll do it unless they're thoroughly thrashed at the polls. I'm well aware of the consequences of belt-tightening and fiscal restraint required for economic recovery. It will be painful - but the alternative is likely to be far worse.
"Irresponsible" is highly subjective. As I have said, if the Liberals were being truly irresponsible the other parties would have banded together to deal with. There have been potential non-confidence opportunities that were not brought fruition despite efforts by conservative forces.
Whereas it seems to me people who are trying to equate the Conservatives here with the far right in the US are meeting with limited success. Canadians aren't that naïve, and it seems to me most get cranky when they can see they're being manipulated.
"Naive" is not a word I would use, nor have I seen "cranky". I can see some resentment when expected to swallow a political line that is clearly stretching the truth. The swing vote of undecided voters hasn't really shown much willingness to dive deeply into matters of economic policy and political philosophy, they're much more likely to make up their minds at the last minute, and with a helping of self-interest into the mix. What people are noticing early on is the absence of conservative policy statements with any substance, and former CPC supporters defecting to fringe parties. including some high profile party members. This just adds to the uncertainty around conservatism in Canada.
Speak softly and wear a loud shirt.
Glacier
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by Glacier »

fluffy wrote: Jul 21st, 2021, 10:20 am I've always looked at the thread title as highly metaphorical. To me it's more of a reference to the declining popularity of right wing politics.
Here is a really interesting podcast by FiveThirtyEight.

Ideas ebb and flow over time, but really there are 5 different types of political camps, not just 2 (according to this podcast). Most people are a mix, but basically, you have socially liberal -fiscally conservatives who are like 5% of the population, and the other 4 have a lot more people: You conservative conservatives all around, you liberal liberals all around, you have socially conservative fiscally liberals, and finally, those who don't fit anywhere.

Even when you break things down by social issues, the population is actually liberal on gun rights and such, but conservative immigration. So when you say conservatism is dying, its' too broad a statement to make any sense. Some conservative ideas are in decline, such as gun rights and smaller government, but some conservative ideas are gaining popularity like stronger border controls (which, if we want to be fair and neutral in language, we could say in some areas liberalism is dying).

Note that I'm using conservative and liberal as different camps, but really, that's probably a bad choice of words. I think we should think of conservatism and progressivism as the competing political camps if we must reduce things to just two camps. Many conservatives and many on the left are liberal in their mindsets, and I would consider myself liberal because I believe in individualism and freedom. The competing idea to liberalism is authoritarianism, and we can certainly find many examples of people on the left and right who are quite authoritarian on how they want to ban, censor, and eliminate by force those with whom they disagree.

Liberals want to eliminate completing ideas by reason and discussion; authoritarians want to eliminate competing ideas with a gun (figuratively or sometimes literally).

What we need is more liberalism and less authoritarianism. We need more liberals on the left and right and fewer authoritarians on the left and right, and that can only be accomplished by liberal means.
Last edited by Glacier on Jul 21st, 2021, 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rustled
Walks on Forum Water

Post by rustled »

fluffy wrote: Jul 21st, 2021, 11:28 am
rustled wrote: Jul 21st, 2021, 10:45 amIf the Liberals continue on the irresponsible (IMO) path they're currently on, I'll want to see a Conservative majority next election. The LPC will have to rebuild, and I doubt they'll do it unless they're thoroughly thrashed at the polls. I'm well aware of the consequences of belt-tightening and fiscal restraint required for economic recovery. It will be painful - but the alternative is likely to be far worse.
"Irresponsible" is highly subjective. As I have said, if the Liberals were being truly irresponsible the other parties would have banded together to deal with. There have been potential non-confidence opportunities that were not brought fruition despite efforts by conservative forces.
Yes, it is subjective, although IMO not "highly". The ethics commissioners and others tasked with holding our government accountable have not been subjective in their findings, and our balance sheets and income statements offer a more objective perspective on whether or not the Liberals have been irresponsible. You have more faith than I have in the other parties' willingness to pass up their own opportunities for self-aggrandizement. I have no faith whatsoever in Singh. He's shown his true colours as a party-first opportunist more than once.
fluffy wrote:
Whereas it seems to me people who are trying to equate the Conservatives here with the far right in the US are meeting with limited success. Canadians aren't that naïve, and it seems to me most get cranky when they can see they're being manipulated.
"Naive" is not a word I would use, nor have I seen "cranky". I can see some resentment when expected to swallow a political line that is clearly stretching the truth.
I've seen plenty of cranky in these threads. Perhaps that's a perspective thing as well.
fluffy wrote: The swing vote of undecided voters hasn't really shown much willingness to dive deeply into matters of economic policy and political philosophy, they're much more likely to make up their minds at the last minute, and with a helping of self-interest into the mix.
Yes, which is why folk on social media work so hard to spread negative opinions about what "might" happen, rather than have people pay attention to what is happening.
fluffy wrote: What people are noticing early on is the absence of conservative policy statements with any substance, and former CPC supporters defecting to fringe parties. including some high profile party members. This just adds to the uncertainty around conservatism in Canada.
We'll see what happens once an election is called. It's premature to expect them to campaign prior to the writ, although they're certainly behaving as though it's expected - and they'd better be ready. They certainly shot themselves in the foot last election - there was no excuse for being so unprepared. I'm not convinced we'll see an election this fall, though.

It has been interesting to see the CBC less willing to be dainty with the Liberals, and some of their stars are struggling. It seems to me the only reason the Liberals wanted an election was to exploit the pandemic further - having used it to their parties fullest advantage during the state of emergency, they were hoping their ongoing largesse with our tax dollars would help buy them a majority. Recent polls show Canadians don't want an election, though, so by calling one they risk another minority. Depending on the outcome of a few current events, they may do worse.

Will one of the opposition parties risk the wrath of the voters by forcing one? We shall see. So far, it's been "let's make a deal for my party first" from NDP and "let's make a deal for Quebec first" from Bloc while the CPC doesn't have to take responsibility for avoiding the election, but they may be blamed by an annoyed public if one is called.

Meanwhile, the objective seems to be to make sure first impressions of O'Toole are as negative as possible. It's cynical politicking at its worst, particularly coming from a party leader who promised to do politics differently. Strange times we're in just now, with people worried about our economic future and the impacts the deficit will have on our social safety net. The study I linked to last night suggested something interesting:
Being scared can make you more conservative.

Decades of research has shown that people get more conservative when they feel threatened and afraid.

Threats of terrorism make everyone less liberal - researchers found this was especially true in the months after 9/11. During that time, the US saw a conservative shift, and Americans displayed increased support for military spending and for President George W. Bush.

Americans aren't the only ones whose political leanings are influenced by fear.

A 2003 review of research conducted in five different countries looked into 22 separate tests of the hypothesis that fear fuels conservative viewpoints and found it was universally true.
This also suggests using scare tactics - particularly fear of climate change and income equality and racism - may prove a bit too slippery fish to push voters left.

Lots of interesting stuff in that piece, e.g.
On the other hand, feeling safe and endowed with strength might make you lean a little more liberal than you otherwise would.
The last word in this one made me laugh:
other more recent research from 2012, which suggests that liberals' top moral concerns tend to be about compassion and fairness, while conservatives are more concerned with loyalty, tradition, respect for authority, and purity.
Yep, purity. Fun stuff.
"Today's TRUDEAU LIBERALS - Lowering Canadians' expectations is what we do best."
Saul Goodman
Fledgling

Post by Saul Goodman »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Jul 21st, 2021, 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off Topic
rustled
Walks on Forum Water

Post by rustled »

Glacier wrote: Jul 21st, 2021, 12:10 pm
fluffy wrote: Jul 21st, 2021, 10:20 am I've always looked at the thread title as highly metaphorical. To me it's more of a reference to the declining popularity of right wing politics.
Here is a really interesting podcast by FiveThirtyEight.

Ideas ebb and flow over time, but really there are 5 different types of political camps, not just 2 (according to this podcast). Most people are a mix, but basically, you have socially liberal -fiscally conservatives who are like 5% of the population, and the other 4 have a lot more people: You conservative conservatives all around, you live liberals all around, you have socially conservative fiscally liberals, and finally, those who don't fit anywhere.

Even when you break things down by social issues, the population is actually liberal on gun rights and such, but conservative immigration. So when you say conservatism is dying, its' too broad a statement to make any sense. Some conservative ideas are in decline, such as gun rights and smaller government, but some conservative ideas are gaining popularity like stronger border controls (which, if we want to be fair and neutral in language, we could say in some areas liberalism is dying).

Note that I'm using conservative and liberal as different camps, but really, that's probably a bad choice of words. I think we should think of conservatism and progressivism as the competing political camps if we must reduce things to just two camps. Many conservatives and many on the left are liberal in their mindsets, and I would consider myself liberal because I believe in individualism and freedom. The competing idea to liberalism is authoritarianism, and we can certainly find many examples of people on the left and right who are quite authoritarian on how they want to ban, censor, and eliminate by force those with whom they disagree.

Liberals want to eliminate completing ideas by reason and discussion; authoritarians want to eliminate competing ideas with a gun (figuratively or sometimes literally).

What we need is more liberalism and less authoritarianism. We need more liberals on the left and right and fewer authoritarians on the left and right, and that can only be accomplished by liberal means.
Interesting indeed. I'd suggest, "accomplished by liberal means with the co-operation of all". That cooperation is better achieved by focusing on our strengths and pulling together, than by dividing and "othering".
"Today's TRUDEAU LIBERALS - Lowering Canadians' expectations is what we do best."
Septuagenarian
Übergod

Post by Septuagenarian »

Septuagenarian wrote: Jul 20th, 2021, 12:23 pm I need to correct myself.

I said, "Conservatism is dying;
Septuagenarian wrote: Jul 20th, 2021, 7:50 am While Canadian right-wing extremism appears to be rising.

" . . . new report from the U.K.-based Institute for Strategic Dialogue, set to be made public later this week. . . ."

"Canadian right-wing extremism increased online during the pandemic"

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/c ... hp&pc=U531
But I'm sorry, that's wrong because it's progressivism that appears to be dying while Canadian right-wing extremism appears to to rising.

For instance, it looks like no conservatives may have even voted for Faith Goldy in the Toronto election or else she probably would have won, so it looks like she must've she stolen her votes from the progressive candidate Saron Gebresellassi.

https://dailyhive.com/toronto/toronto-f ... tions-2018
Relative to this, the report cited in the, "Canadian right-wing extremism increased online during the pandemic," article in my post is available now.

"The Resilience of Online Right-Wing Extremism in Canada"

https://www.isdglobal.org/digital_dispa ... in-canada/

As well as,

"An Online Environmental Scan of Right-wing Extremism in Canada:

https://www.isdglobal.org/wp-content/up ... Canada.pdf
Fortis et Liber.
Septuagenarian
Übergod

Post by Septuagenarian »

Oh, and perhaps of immediate interest here are the key findings from the first report that I posted above:

Key findings
ISD’s research uncovered a number of interesting drivers of right-wing extremist activity online, and trends in the activities of these groups. Here are the 7 things you need to know:

COVID-19 had a significant impact on right-wing extremist activity in 2020. ISD researchers hypothesise that the increase in activity across the platforms analysed was in part driven by the impact of COVID-19 restrictions and the resulting increase in the time that many people spent online. In addition to having potentially created more active right-wing extremist communities online, more specific effects of the virus on right-wing extremist discussion were identified. The pandemic was the most widely discussed topic across the communities analysed – accounting for 38.8% of all messages that could be categorised by topic – with output often focusing on conspiracy theories and manifesting in anger against the government.

Canadian right-wing extremists appear to be heavily influenced by US activity. Across the platforms analysed, Canadian right-wing extremists mentioned the US more than Canada. Moreover, Canadian right-wing extremists discussed Canadian politics only 3.1% more than US politics, with a particular focus on Donald Trump. This raises the concern that an emboldened and increasingly violent extreme right in the US could help to inspire similar activity in Canada, as Canadian right-wing extremists look to their US counterparts for inspiration.

Right-wing extremist discussion of Canadian politics focused on Justin Trudeau and the New Democratic Party (NDP). Prime Minister Justin Trudeau was the most mentioned Canadian politician by Canadian right-wing extremists in 2020, with discussion of him being overwhelmingly negative. This speaks to the same trend identified in 2019, which found anti-Trudeau discussion, including conspiracy theories, to be one of the most prevalent topics of conversation. Interestingly, the Liberal Party of Canada was the sixth most mentioned Canadian political party, suggesting that right-wing extremist actors are more focused on Trudeau as an individual than on his party.

Right-wing extremists in Canada are drivers of disinformation. Across the platforms of analysis, Canadian right-wing extremists were identified as key drivers of disinformation. This activity includes trolls on 4chan creating and disseminating a viral piece of disinformation around the US election which suggested that Canada was preparing to launch an invasion of the US should Donald Trump win the 2020 presidential election. On YouTube and Gab, key topics of content included the promotion of conspiracy theories around the COVID-19 pandemic, a trend which has been designated a ‘public health crisis’ in Canada. This demonstrates the hybridised nature of online harms and suggests that policy solutions to extremism should be synchronised with those responding to disinformation and media manipulation.

Across the channels analysed, a small number of posts involving hateful and violent mobilisation were identified. ISD built a natural language processing architecture to identify hostile language, defined as ‘abusive, aggressive, dehumanising, or violent language targeting an individual or group of individuals’. This highlighted a small but concerning set of 30,847 posts targeting minority communities and political opponents. Through a qualitative analysis of the content, highly concerning support for violence in fringe right-wing extremist communities was identified. This included a number of white supremacist channels on Telegram promoting the accelerationist ideology that helped inspire the 2019 Christchurch attack, and sharing guides on how to prepare for violence. This type of violent content was also produced by members of incel forums discussing the murder and harming of women.

Mobilisation by a designated terrorist organisation was identified over the course of analysis. Two Telegram channels hosted supporters and members of the Canadian Proud Boys, which at the time of writing were still active despite the group’s designation as a terrorist entity in February 2021. Although terrorist designation in Canada does not criminalise group membership, such activity is nevertheless concerning and demonstrates the role that fringe platforms can have in incubating and amplifying terrorist organisations.

The enforcement of social media policy impacts right-wing extremist activity online, but does not appear to have a lasting effect. A significant proportion of the channels analysed in 2019 were no longer active in 2020*. While this would suggest that policy enforcement by social media platforms is capable of having a significant impact on right-wing extremist ecosystems online, a number of new channels and pages were identified as having sprung up in the place of those which were removed. As a result, there was no discernible difference in the number of Facebook and YouTube channels analysed between 2019 and 2020. The only exception was found on Twitter, where there was a 63.5% decrease in the number of active right-wing extremist accounts between 2019 and 2020.
Fortis et Liber.
Septuagenarian
Übergod

Post by Septuagenarian »

As well from the second report:

Examples of Tweets classified as RWE (Right Wing Extremism)

Anti-Muslim
‘Climate change is not an issue! The greatest threat is Sharia law followers. These insane *bleep* murder in the name of religion. They all treat women like trash. If you criticise Muslims you’re a racist.Well done UN. Well done globalists.’

‘Islam is a murderous cult pretending to be a religion.’

Anti-Semitic
‘Soros is a Rothschild agent, and is using his money for the new world order!’

‘You better watch out in ‘Jew York city’ – 1488.’

‘Don’t worry about anything Goys, stay just do what (((we))) tell you.’

Anti-government
‘Trudeau wants the UN and the new conspiracy theories world order to have absolute power in this country! Under them you will have no rights! They are working to take you out and you have to resist!’

‘The Mafia organized deepstate has control over our government, military and judiciary, wake up now! #QAnon’

Anti-left wing
‘Liberalism is a mental disorder! *bleep* Liberals!’

‘Death to SJW’s [sic; social justice warriors] and their cultural Marxism! Up political incorrectness!’

Anti-migrant
‘Screw diversity we have had enough, take a solid stand against refugees and stop them coming before they take over! Is nobody listening to the people anymore?’

‘With diversity comes more crimes and more violence, we never had these problems with the old stock immigrants after world war 2.’

‘These animals won’t assimilate, they won’t contribute, and they never belong in a civilized country! Trudeau is enabling an invasion!’

Support for RWE causes
‘I support the Proud Boys!’

‘Marine Le Pen is the only hope for France! She is the only person standing against *bleep* Macron’s jihad migration and alliance with the corrupt EU.
Fortis et Liber.
Ka-El
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ka-El »

fluffy wrote:
...this post does not support the thesis that conservatism should die.
I've always looked at the thread title as highly metaphorical. To me it's more of a reference to the declining popularity of right-wing politics.
It is a bit of a wonder that this had to be explained, but posts by both Glacier and Septuagenarian reminded me (not that I ever forgot) that it is more complicated than that, and there is a good deal of diversity in thinking within all of these ideological camps. As Glacier noted, “Most people are a mix, but basically, you have socially liberal -fiscally conservatives who are like 5% of the population, and the other 4 have a lot more people: You have conservative conservatives all around, you have liberal liberals all around, you have socially conservative fiscally liberals, and finally, those who don't fit anywhere.”

In addition to the distinctions made by Glacier, we have to recognize the extremism that is growing at the fringes of these bordering ideologies. I have also previously commented on the existence and rise of right-wing extremism in both Canada and the United States, and as Septuagenarian has pointed out this is in large part due to social media (increasingly widespread since Trump declared all news to be “fake”) fuelling the spread of disinformation, division and even hate.
Septuagenarian wrote: Relative to this, the report cited in the, "Canadian right-wing extremism increased online during the pandemic," article in my post is available now.

As well as,

For the sake of discussion, I would propose we are watching the demise of conservatism as it splits further into two factions. I would suggest that on one side there has been a gradual awakening, accelerated in large part due to the BLM and Defund the Police movements, and by the inequalities and lack of global coordination exposed by the pandemic. Many of these conservatives become more conservative/liberal once they recognize the challenges facing us today are not going to be solved by a “free market”. On the other side, we have the hard core and rigid conservatives who have allowed themselves to be pulled into the populist narrative. These are the people who are still making excuses for and worshiping Trump. We previously had an entire thread discussing the dangers and risk of so-called populist thought, and I think it is quite possible many conservatives are simply trying to distance themselves from the ideas of the radical right.
Glacier wrote: What we need is more liberalism and less authoritarianism. We need more liberals on the left and right and fewer authoritarians on the left and right, and that can only be accomplished by liberal means.
^ LIKE!!!
conservatives are going to hate the future.
fluffy
Buddha of the Board

Post by fluffy »

Ka-El wrote: Jul 22nd, 2021, 8:13 amFor the sake of discussion, I would propose we are watching the demise of conservatism as it splits further into two factions. I would suggest that on one side there has been a gradual awakening, accelerated in large part due to the BLM and Defund the Police movements, and by the inequalities and lack of global coordination exposed by the pandemic. Many of these conservatives become more conservative/liberal once they recognize the challenges facing us today are not going to be solved by a “free market”. On the other side, we have the hard core and rigid conservatives who have allowed themselves to be pulled into the populist narrative. These are the people who are still making excuses for and worshiping Trump. We previously had an entire thread discussing the dangers and risk of so-called populist thought, and I think it is quite possible many conservatives are simply trying to distance themselves from the ideas of the radical right.
Not to be insulting, but a considerable percentage of voters fall outside what you could call "informed" and are easily swayed by things like internet sensationalism. These are people who don't make a big distinction between "right" and "far right" and are/will shy away from conservative politics entirely.
Speak softly and wear a loud shirt.
rustled
Walks on Forum Water

Post by rustled »

Ka-El wrote: Jul 22nd, 2021, 8:13 am
fluffy wrote:
I've always looked at the thread title as highly metaphorical. To me it's more of a reference to the declining popularity of right-wing politics.
It is a bit of a wonder that this had to be explained, but posts by both Glacier and Septuagenarian reminded me (not that I ever forgot) that it is more complicated than that, and there is a good deal of diversity in thinking within all of these ideological camps. As Glacier noted, “Most people are a mix, but basically, you have socially liberal -fiscally conservatives who are like 5% of the population, and the other 4 have a lot more people: You have conservative conservatives all around, you have liberal liberals all around, you have socially conservative fiscally liberals, and finally, those who don't fit anywhere.”

In addition to the distinctions made by Glacier, we have to recognize the extremism that is growing at the fringes of these bordering ideologies. I have also previously commented on the existence and rise of right-wing extremism in both Canada and the United States, and as Septuagenarian has pointed out this is in large part due to social media (increasingly widespread since Trump declared all news to be “fake”) fuelling the spread of disinformation, division and even hate.
A couple of observations:
  1. Conservatism =/= right wing extremism.
  2. There's plenty of disinformation, division and hate on social media, coming from people who are not conservative and are not fuelling the spread of disinformation, division and hate to promote conservatism or conservative values.
When we step back and look at the bigger picture, it seems to me this has little to do with discussing conservatives and conservatism, and is simply more of the usual stereotyping intended to foment and perpetuate ugly anti-conservative bigotry and prejudice.
Ka-El wrote:
Septuagenarian wrote: Relative to this, the report cited in the, "Canadian right-wing extremism increased online during the pandemic," article in my post is available now.

As well as,

For the sake of discussion, I would propose we are watching the demise of conservatism as it splits further into two factions.
I would suggest that on one side there has been a gradual awakening, accelerated in large part due to the BLM and Defund the Police movements, and by the inequalities and lack of global coordination exposed by the pandemic.
These are more of the narratives, stereotypes and prejudices the preferred narrative this thread was intended to promote, presenting BLM and Defund the Police movements as doing the greater good. Most of us are easily able to see these movements were never about doing the greater good. They're about tearing down, not building up. They're about dividing, not uniting. They're about convincing others to stereotype victims and oppressors to suit the "saviour" narrative.
Ka-El wrote: Many of these conservatives become more conservative/liberal once they recognize the challenges facing us today are not going to be solved by a “free market”. On the other side, we have the hard core and rigid conservatives who have allowed themselves to be pulled into the populist narrative. These are the people who are still making excuses for and worshiping Trump. We previously had an entire thread discussing the dangers and risk of so-called populist thought, and I think it is quite possible many conservatives are simply trying to distance themselves from the ideas of the radical right.
I don't think you really understood what the research Glacier presented actually shows. It seems to me you're clinging to anti-conservative rhetoric - truth be damned, it's all about defending the narrative.
Ka-El wrote:
Glacier wrote: What we need is more liberalism and less authoritarianism. We need more liberals on the left and right and fewer authoritarians on the left and right, and that can only be accomplished by liberal means.
^ LIKE!!!
As I said earlier: it won't happen without everyone pulling together. The intolerance and bigotry of the anti-conservative movement you continue to promote and defend is not only unhelpful, it is counterproductive.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Ka-El wrote: Jul 22nd, 2021, 8:13 am I would suggest that on one side there has been a gradual awakening, accelerated in large part due to the BLM and Defund the Police movements,
The only "awakening" that has happened is the obvious observations of what giant failures both BLM and Defund the Police have been, with nothing but violence, lootings, killings, burnings and high crime rates to show for it (and many mansions for the "Marxist" founders of BLM of course, that's a bonus). All both of those "movements" did was awaken people to just how badly needed Conservatism is, because without it, you get terrible emotion-based decisions being made, that cause nothing but mass human suffering.

If anything, all that BLM and Defund did was horribly weaken the far Left, and expose them for the true fraudsters they are. Conservatism definitely has strengthened while liberalism may also be coming back, after being usurped by true scum in the Defund movement. And rightly so. The UK is showing the way for the rest of the globe, and the far Left is definitely falling apart. Nothing that evil will ever truly "die", but being sidelined and kept far away from the corridors of power is really all that needs to be done, so that huge and stupid mistakes like "Defund the Police" never see the light of day again.
Justin Trudeau is a knuckledragging narcissist with many stinking albatrosses around his neck. He is definitely on the wrong side of history. Can't wait to vote this bum out of office!
Ka-El
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ka-El »

rustled wrote: Yes, I liked what Glacier said here too, and as I said earlier: it won't happen without everyone pulling together. The intolerance and bigotry of the anti-conservative movement you continue to promote and defend is not only unhelpful, it is counterproductive.

I agree that nothing good and productive will happen without people pulling together. This will only happen when we isolate the people at the extremes (on both sides) who are rigid and refuse to move in their views, so that a conversation can be had among people who are willing to meet in the centre. Such a conversation would seek to generate ideas rather than shut them down. Not everything being suggested is “a move closer toward socialism”, but if you’re far enough out to the right with your socioeconomic views then every idea is going to look far left to you. This bigotry and intolerance perpetuate division and is not only unhelpful, it is counterproductive. Contrary to what you’re seeing with your lens, it is the people in the centre who are listening to each other. It seems you might be projecting with your ongoing defensiveness of some anti-conservative movement we have going here. There are principles of conservatism that will never die out, and those who are more socially liberal are going to drift further toward that camp as the diehard conservatives get sucked into the populist movement. Conservatism will never die as an idea but extremist factions from within the ideology are destroying its political relevance.

This is the observation a few of us here are making.
conservatives are going to hate the future.
Septuagenarian
Übergod

Post by Septuagenarian »

I would certainly welcome seeing a similar study and report on the current state of left-wing extremism in Canada.

Here's a note about the report I posted.

This report documents the second-year findings of a study by researchers at the Institute for Strategic Dialogue (ISD) which tracks the online ecosystems used by RWEs (right wing extremists) in Canada. This work is delivered in the context of a larger study into Canadian right-wing extremism (RWE), led by a team of researchers at Ontario Tech University (OTU) in partnership with Michigan State University and the University of New Brunswick. It contains an update to the findings laid out in an interim report published in 2020 which detailed RWE Canadian social media activity throughout 2019. The interim report used the same methodological and definitional framework laid out in this report.

<snip>

This report was delivered with funding support from the Public Safety Canada Community Resilience Fund.
On 6 June 2021, Salman Afzaal, Madiha Salman, Yumna Afzaal, and Talat Afzaal were murdered while out walking in London, Ontario. They were targeted and killed because of their Muslim faith. Their deaths are a heinous example of the consequences of the narratives spread by right-wing extremists in Canada and around the world. This report is dedicated to them.
Fortis et Liber.

Return to “Social Concerns”