Cashless society... you in?

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
tantor
Board Meister

Re: Cashless society... you in?

Post by tantor »

It's mind numbing how short sighted and lack of actual thought that some people put into something and just say ya I'll sign up for that. How could you be dumb enough to want to throw all of your eggs in one basket. The banks and government already have far to much control of our money! Say good bye to having a nest egg that can't be touched. Government or the banks make some seriously bad decision well guess what we just took 50% of your money to fix our problem.

Want to buy those skis off your neighbor that are in great shape and will cost 25% of retail? Well too bad. Oh no no we have the new nifty app for that but guess what you are going to have to pay GST on that purchase now. You think that won't be a thing lol? Hey while your at it before you pay the babysitter make sure to deduct income tax, ei and cpp. Better get a receipt for every little transaction in your life because the tax man will be a knockin. How about the homeless community and those that will just refuse to participate in a cashless society? You think they will just go away and starve. If they do this via chip in your hand I bet you will see a lot of amputees lol. Many homeless don't even have ID let alone a bank account. You actually think criminal enterprise will just curl up and die lol, not bloody likely. The alternative that they come up with will probably be very unhealthy for Joe citizen.

These people won't just go away they need to eat and drink just like everyone else and if they can't purchase it they will be taking yours. This would give government a ridiculous amount of power and history has shown that the more power a government has the more corrupt they become. I mean these are just some very simple examples of problems that would show up in short order, but if one takes the time to actually think this out, there will be lots of huge negatives and for what a little convenience? Stop already with calling everything a conspiracy theory! There has been plenty of so called CT that has turned out to be fact. Are you actually disconnected enough to think government isn't crooked? Good lord this really has become clown world! If you all realized how actually fragile our power grid is in the greater scheme of things. Look at California they have rolling blackouts all of the time. Look at the big storm that hit Texas last year and left many without power and heat for a month or more. Everyone that has a business has seen cards not working at some point.

This is like going to Alaska in the summer and only bringing shorts and flip flops. If we have a complete cashless society it's not about if we have a major problem along the way it is when. I don't know when it happened but at some point in the last couple of decades a lot of people have just shut their brains off. If things stay on this path god help us in another 10 years! It will be just a swarm of mindless zombies shuffling around the streets drooling all over themselves.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

^^^ GREAT post!

The remedy is to use cash whereever possible, whenever possible. To keep it alive. To remind the government, it's going to be a "thing" til the last of the dsytopian society we are becoming say's "die." Don't ever say "die".
When it's all and only fun and games, no one needs to censor you. Get close to an ugly truth though...
Ka-El
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ka-El »

tantor wrote: Jan 14th, 2022, 5:43 am Want to buy those skis off your neighbor that are in great shape and will cost 25% of retail? Well too bad. Oh no no we have the new nifty app for that but guess what you are going to have to pay GST on that purchase now.
:135: You pay GST on e-transfers ?
Stop hate: don't feed the alt-right troll
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

You know what the NUMBER ONE scam is right now?

1. Show an attractive object, doesn't matter what it is.
2. Wait, someone will offer an etrans to "hold it."
3. Get the money while the people who are expecting to pick it up are trying to find the fake address you gave them.

This scam shows up on facebook every single day. "BEWARE of SO and SO, they SCAMMED ME" :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: That excuse of a dirtbag :cuss: :cuss: :swear: should be hunted down and made to pay!" They ghosted me, the profile is FAKE (duhhh)". And on and on.

E-trans. The scammer's dream!

The simple and effective method of examining an object and offering to pay in cash, immediately, dating back pre-medieval days appear to be just too much for a certain generation. Because you don't see older people posting this.
When it's all and only fun and games, no one needs to censor you. Get close to an ugly truth though...
Ka-El
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ka-El »

Queen K wrote: Jan 14th, 2022, 11:37 am The simple and effective method of examining an object and offering to pay in cash, immediately, ...
Sorry you got scammed Queen. I haven't been scammed that way but i have fallen for other stings. Not fun. Grrr :swear:
You know you can follow the same strategy above and still use e-transfer though, right? Go and examine the object first (at a garage sale, for example), decide if you want it and the e-transfer right there. That's how I pay for my haircuts.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

I have only accepted e-transfer for something I'm selling when the person buying it wants to do it that way.

I am quite happy to wait till they see it before taking their money.

Yes, you have to be aware of scammers no matter how they pay.

I don't want them to stop using cash but it doesn't bother me to pay electronically.
DILLIGAF
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Ka-El wrote: Jan 14th, 2022, 1:56 pm
Queen K wrote: Jan 14th, 2022, 11:37 am The simple and effective method of examining an object and offering to pay in cash, immediately, ...
Sorry you got scammed Queen. I haven't been scammed that way but i have fallen for other stings. Not fun. Grrr :swear:
You know you can follow the same strategy above and still use e-transfer though, right? Go and examine the object first (at a garage sale, for example), decide if you want it and the e-transfer right there. That's how I pay for my haircuts.
No no no, I'm a "must see" and then "pay" type. What I said is, every single day there is someone crying foul over their stupidity. I don't etrans or accept etrans either, just to ensure no one is smearing my name.

I have never ever been scammed.
Ka-El
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ka-El »

Bsuds wrote: Jan 14th, 2022, 2:26 pm I don't want them to stop using cash but it doesn't bother me to pay electronically.
Yup, doesn't matter to me either way. Evolution is inevitable, including technological evolution, and I have no intentions of living off the grid. We are retiring to Central America this year and will be using cash much more frequently for our day to day purchases, but at the same time we will be even more dependent on technology for our banking requirements.
normaM
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by normaM »

never take etransfers - cash only on arrival
Figure there has to be a way they can get ur acct info, plus I have a domain email so don't hand it out to randoms
You can try and dirty my name, but I'll wear your hate like war paint
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

normaM wrote: Jan 14th, 2022, 5:12 pm never take etransfers - cash only on arrival
Figure there has to be a way they can get ur acct info, plus I have a domain email so don't hand it out to randoms
No they cannot get your account info from your e-mail.

If you are concerned you can set up a second e-mail account only for e-transfers. If you start to get spammed on it you just delete it and get a new one. I have several different one I use for different things like registering warranty's etc. Or if you need one to sign up on different sites like Castanet for instance. Then if you need to change it your main one for your friends isn't affected.
DILLIGAF
normaM
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by normaM »

nah, it is simpler to say cash only.. plus you get an etransfer and then they take their sweet time picking up the item
IDK Sudsy - you can get a lot of info good enuff hacker
You can try and dirty my name, but I'll wear your hate like war paint
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

normaM wrote: Jan 15th, 2022, 5:33 am nah, it is simpler to say cash only.. plus you get an etransfer and then they take their sweet time picking up the item
If they don't pick it up then you sell it again. lol

Or tell them it's at the curb and first come first served.
DILLIGAF

Return to “Social Concerns”