Heat Pumps? Good or bad?

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
hozzle
Übergod

Re: Heat Pumps? Good or bad?

Post by hozzle »

Interesting stuff that's happening today vs a few yrs ago... a municipality (maybe a decade or so now that I think about it) was thinking about banning mini-splits due to condensation from the exterior unit. Crikey!? This building official didn't know mini-splits have been in use in Japan since the 60's an he wanted to ban them in the municipality. Talk about misguided delusions of grandeur. Fast forward to today and we want more of them used. That's a good thing but it shows how way off-base municipal, provincial & federal leaders can be and how easily those that can't think for themselves blindly follow... but I guess the system isn't totally broken because the bylaw was never passed - albeit at a lesser rate than in the past.
When it feels like I'm rubbing your back, I'm actually painting a target.
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

hozzle wrote: Mar 19th, 2022, 6:11 pm Interesting stuff that's happening today vs a few yrs ago... a municipality (maybe a decade or so now that I think about it) was thinking about banning mini-splits due to condensation from the exterior unit. Crikey!? This building official didn't know mini-splits have been in use in Japan since the 60's an he wanted to ban them in the municipality. Talk about misguided delusions of grandeur. Fast forward to today and we want more of them used. That's a good thing but it shows how way off-base municipal, provincial & federal leaders can be and how easily those that can't think for themselves blindly follow... but I guess the system isn't totally broken because the bylaw was never passed - albeit at a lesser rate than in the past.
Wow, that certainly is odd. Condensate is a consideration for any AC unit. I can see why it could become a problem but there are better options (like including rules in bylaw about condensate management) than flat out banning their use. Too many people in today's society immediately go to "ban it" as a reaction to any problem. Cancel culture at it's finest!

Florida is another example. I was surprised by the puddles, wet spots, and dripping I saw everywhere due to AC system condensate. Intersections where cars stopped would often be wet with it. It would never be as bad here due to much less humidity and they didn't seem to have issues with it - just something I hadn't really seen before or thought of.
Bigbacardi
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Bigbacardi »

Also consider the water generated from the heat pump when in defrost mode. If near a sidewalk, it has potential to create ice patches which in turn can be very slippery...
LETS GO BONNIE HENRY
hozzle
Übergod

Post by hozzle »

Bigbacardi wrote: Mar 20th, 2022, 9:19 am Also consider the water generated from the heat pump when in defrost mode. If near a sidewalk, it has potential to create ice patches which in turn can be very slippery...
So can leaky gutters... but I wouldn't ban the use of gutters, with that said there is a case for negligence [icon_lol2.gif]
When it feels like I'm rubbing your back, I'm actually painting a target.
bb49
Guru

Post by bb49 »

Bigbacardi wrote: Mar 20th, 2022, 9:19 am Also consider the water generated from the heat pump when in defrost mode. If near a sidewalk, it has potential to create ice patches which in turn can be very slippery...
My exterior unit is situated right beside a sidewalk. Never has there been moisture or ice anywhere near the unit.
Let's stick to facts please.
I_am_a_Canadian (with unacceptable views)
Bigbacardi
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Bigbacardi »

bb49 wrote: Mar 20th, 2022, 4:32 pm
My exterior unit is situated right beside a sidewalk. Never has there been moisture or ice anywhere near the unit.
Facts....heat pumps absorb the heat from air outside, they frost up in winter, they all come with the ability to defrost.
Heat pumps make water in the winter. Fact
https://ca.search.yahoo.com/search?p=He ... s&ei=UTF-8
IMG_0407.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Bigbacardi on Mar 20th, 2022, 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LETS GO BONNIE HENRY
bb49
Guru

Post by bb49 »

Bigbacardi wrote: Mar 20th, 2022, 4:56 pm
bb49 wrote: Mar 20th, 2022, 4:32 pm
Facts....heat pumps absorb the heat from air outside, they frost up in winter, they all come with the ability to defrost.
Heat pumps make water in the winter. Fact
https://ca.search.yahoo.com/search?p=He ... G_0407.PNG
Like I said, never had any ice.
In fact, the fan from the external unit keeps that part of the sidewalk clear.

But then, my unit doesn't look anything like those.
Bigbacardi
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Bigbacardi »

If you never had any ice, you don't have a heat pump,
LETS GO BONNIE HENRY
nepal
Übergod

Post by nepal »

Do heat pumps really save money in the long run, if the systems need to be replaced in less than 20-years? at major cost! Sure you save a bit on monthly bills now, but wait for the big replacement bill when the system eventually dies.
Better house siting can be done inexpensively, where windows and eaves are positioned to take advantage of the sun in winter and summer, as well as deciduous trees for summer shade. So many houses have their garages on the sunny side, blocking free passive heat and natural light (all that’s often needed is to flip the floor plan).
Seems like heat pumps are another reoccurring major cost, just like asphalt shingle roofs (which are a long-term bad product and waste of money and fill landfills - cement/clay tile, or metal are more money upfront but last for generations…of course not recommended by roofers).
Why are houses in America built so cheap, compared to say Europe, where they’re built to last and be thermally efficient, thus less cost in the long run.
spooker
Lord of the Board

Post by spooker »

nepal wrote: Jul 6th, 2022, 7:31 am .
Do heat pumps really save money in the long run, if the systems need to be replaced in less than 20-years? at major cost! Sure you save a bit on monthly bills now, but wait for the big replacement bill when the system eventually dies.
Better house siting can be done inexpensively, where windows and eaves are positioned to take advantage of the sun in winter and summer, as well as deciduous trees for summer shade. So many houses have their garages on the sunny side, blocking free passive heat and natural light (all that’s often needed is to flip the floor plan).
Seems like heat pumps are another reoccurring major cost, just like asphalt shingle roofs (which are a long-term bad product and waste of money and fill landfills - cement/clay tile, or metal are more money upfront but last for generations…of course not recommended by roofers).
Why are houses in America built so cheap, compared to say Europe, where they’re built to last and be thermally efficient, thus less cost in the long run.
North America likes everything cheap right now, it's too hard to actually care about how much something will cost over the next 10 years ... kick the actual cost down the road ... we have a very short-sighted outlook as has been proven time and again ...
--
“The world breaks everyone, and afterward, many are strong at the broken places.”
― Ernest Hemingway
bb49
Guru

Post by bb49 »

nepal wrote: Jul 6th, 2022, 7:31 am .
And how often does an A/C or furnace have to be replaced?
Yes, flip the floor plan, after the house is built.
Really now? Are you talking about houses not yet built or existing houses?
And Europe has the answer to everything.
I wonder what Europeans will do this winter when Russia shuts off the gas?
BC Landlord
Lord of the Board

Post by BC Landlord »

With the cost of “green”energy, I’m seriously considering a coal-fired boiler for heating and hot water, and a bad-*bleep* diesel genset for power.

I can load up my pickup with coal in Sparwood for a six-pack. Then I’ll get a couple of goats and a chicken coop so that I can buy farm diesel. All good stuff.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

BC Landlord wrote: Jul 6th, 2022, 3:24 pm With the cost of “green”energy, I’m seriously considering a coal-fired boiler for heating and hot water, and a bad-*bleep* diesel genset for power.

I can load up my pickup with coal in Sparwood for a six-pack. Then I’ll get a couple of goats and a chicken coop so that I can buy farm diesel. All good stuff.
My father-in-law worked a coal powerplant in Alaska for 30 years. The coal was mined next door so it was always just laying around on the ground, so he heated his house for free with coal.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Andrewski
Banned

Post by Andrewski »

A lot of you seem to be missing the point that new building practices with high efficiency building envelopes, eventually pushing towards net-zero infrastructure use heatpumps as a part of maintaining the internal environment.

Incorporating heat pumps into houses that have exterior insulation and HRV systems, with completely sealed vapor barriers, triple pane windows, etc, WILL be way more energy efficient than using AC.

Why is putting a heatpump into a house built in the 70s a good idea? Its not, ACs probably better.

Anyone complaining about green energy is living in past, with no sight of the future. Let them heat their house with coal. Lol
BC Landlord
Lord of the Board

Post by BC Landlord »

Andrewski wrote: Jul 6th, 2022, 5:58 pm Anyone complaining about green energy is living in past, with no sight of the future. Let them heat their house with coal. Lol
Why does everything greenies come up with, have to have a hefty price tag? I'm talking EVERYTHING, from solar, wind, to EVs, ... you name it.

Return to “Social Concerns”