Honest working person just plain gets screwed over

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Advocate
Guru

Re: Honest working person just plain gets screwed over

Post by Advocate »

dental hygiene, denturist and dental assisting teaching institutions for low-cost services.
More information is available at http://www.bcdental.org/index.htm, including search
capabilities to find a dentist who speaks different languages, or services different areas.

Kamloops
New Life Mission
Address: Outreach [email protected] West Victoria St.
Corporate [email protected] Seymour Street
Phone: Outreach Services call 250-434-9898
Corporate Office call 250-372-9898
Services: Basic and emergency services, adults. Open every Thursday and every
second Wednesday. Must call ahead to book appointment. MEIA clients
requiring dentures are accepted.

Kelowna
Kelowna Gospel Mission Dental Clinic
Address: 259-B Leon Avenue, Kelowna B.C.
Phone: 250-763-3737
Services: Youth/Adults only. Emergency services provided for relief of pain/infection
for homeless, impoverished, and clients who cannot afford treatment in a
private dental office. Financial eligibility determined through screening
process. Appointments required. Open 2 evenings/month.

Prince George
Emergency Dental Outreach Clinic
Address: Prince George Native Friendship Centre
1600 Third Avenue (side door entrance), Prince George BC, V2L 3G6
Phone: 250-613-PAIN (7246)
Services: Emergency services for relief of pain/Infection, for clients who cannot afford
treatment in a private dental office. Clients are seen on a first come first
serve basis. Urgency of dental need will be considered. Basic dental
hygiene services may be available.

Salmon Arm- Living Waters Dental Clinic
Address: Living Waters Church
180 Lakeshore Drive NW, Salmon Arm BC.
Phone: 250-832-3433
Services: Basic and emergency services, adults. Open every second Wednesday.
Must call ahead to book appointment. MEIA clients requiring dentures are
accepted
neysa59

Post by neysa59 »

Well if anything I must say thanks for the msp medical thing. I did get my medical activated but unfortunately they will do nothing about my teeth problem. If the work can be done in a dentist office they will not do it in the hospital. Only if I had a preexisting medical condition that would make it that it had to be done in the hospital, ex. a bleeder or something, would they cover it. But like I said at least my medical has been activated now and my card should be in the mail even sooner now so thank you again for that. The gospel mission in kelowna will not help. At least when I talked to them last week they said no. Because I work I make too much to be on social assistance which is barely over their minimum, so they couldn't help. They only help people who are on assistance or are homeless. Sounds a little stupid but who knows. I am gonna call them again tomorrow to talk to the lady who is in charge of the dental program and see maybe if we can work out some kind of deal where I pay the full amount but just do it monthly installments. Here's to hoping that it works.
Thanks again everyone for suggestions :)
AlanH
Lord of the Board

Post by AlanH »

Start saving up for a down payment, you have neglected to do so over all the years that you knew you would have a problem, what better time to start than right now.
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

This problem obviously did not occur over night. I wonder what she would have done if she were still in the USA.
Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.
neysa59

Post by neysa59 »

Yes I am saving as much as I can. No this problem did not happen overnight but also when I have seen dentist even a year ago they were more wanting to do implants, root canals and all that stuff. Dentist unfortunately are more interested it seems on making as much money as they can and not listening to there patients. Basically I almost had to wait to this point to get what I wanted done. Yes if I was in the states I would probably still have this problem but also before I moved here I had dental coverage, full coverage actually. To give an example on how much the dentists here are more into making the most amount of money a very good friend of mine has the same problem. She went to one dentist and they wanted to do all kinds of crap, and it was only gonna cost her a simple amount of 16000 dollars for all the work. Unless you are very very well off no one can honestly afford that crap. Then she found another dentist who appeared to at least listen to her a little bit. They gave her a quote of like 5000 dollars to pull her top teeth put in upper dentures fix some of the bottoms pull a few and give her a bridge. Well guess what. She did get her uppers pulled and upper plates put in. But hmmmm guess that quote didn't mean *bleep*. 5000 dollars later she only has the uppers done and no work on the bottoms. Thats ok so now she needs work done on the lowers. Her and the dentist agreed the bottoms could be saved. She has on bad on in the front and they agreed to start on that one first. Well she goes into the appointment and they tell her they are gonna start on the back. She walked out. This dentist just wanted as much money as he could get and would not listen to her. She is now looking for one that will listen and ain't having much luck.
Well anyways I'm beginning to forget what started this all. Oh ok yeah I remember this not happening overnight. No it did not. I could not find a dentist here that would do what I want. And anyways who really cares if it did or didn't. Lets be honest statistics say the average lower and middle class people do tend to ignore there dental problems because they are more concerned with being able to just pay their bills and eat. Basically live. They cannot afford regular visits to the dentists. And to make it even sadder do you people also realize that they say that people with dental problems are more likely to commit suicide. That is really really sad if you ask me. I am not saying I am suicidal I am just quoting facts. And the fact is that with everyone saying that dental is so damn important you would think it would be more affordable to the average people. It's all about the money. He who dies with the most wins as they say and sure as heck seems like that saying is more and more true as times go on. And also you know most of us average people that are just trying to get by are not looking for handouts and freebies. We would like to be able to afford those things that we need. And when something comes up or needs to be done it sure would be nice if there were dentists, doctors and whoever out there that would be willing to work with people. We are more than willing to pay we just don't have all that money at once.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

I wonder if getting private insurance through BCAA or Blue Cross and waiting three months would do the trick. You'll still have to pay deductible but it would make it easier.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

It sounds like you have a real issue with Dentists in general. It makes no sense that if you had full dental coverage in the states that you did not get it looked after.
You are blabbing on about the Dentists not wanting to do what you want them to do.
Perhaps there is a reason for that....they have training and you do not.
A Dentist is not going to do something just because you have told them to, especially if they do not believe it is the correct treatment for the situation. A dentist will not remove teeth which could be saved. So instead of having your teeth repaired earlier, you have left them to deteriorate to the point that there is not much left besides remove them. Still, the dentists you have seen have offered options which could allow you to save some of the teeth. It will cost much more because YOU have allowed it to get this bad.

Dentists do not like to remove teeth. It is the last thing they will do as dentures will cause you problems as well. If they can save even a couple of teeth, those teeth will help to maintain bone and make it easier to have dentures fit well.

Here's an idea, move back to the states, get back on your full dental coverage.
Oh, and good luck finding a Dentist who will plan your treatment based on your expertise.
Last edited by gardengirl on Aug 20th, 2009, 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

neysa59 wrote:Yes if I was in the states I would probably still have this problem but also before I moved here I had dental coverage, full coverage actually.

You had full dental coverage and you didn't take care of the problem you had for years? Why the hell not?
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
neysa59

Post by neysa59 »

You know I give up. Seems like people have more fun putting people down. The teeth being saved for a permanent basis was never a problem because of a past thing many years ago that happened that I said before. I have nothing against dentists in general. What I have a problem with is self righteous people who think they are better than everyone else. *bleep* happens. Not everyone in this world are financially stable. Probably half the population live from paycheck to paycheck. Doing something at the time seems a little stupid because its more important to pay your bills and live. Most people would rather pay their bills over living on the street and being homeless. So we do what we can do. If all you have to do is put people down because all they want to do is try and fix a problem they have and I'll tell you what go talk to someone else, not me. I don't have the time or the patience to listen to self righteous people who nothing better to do than put down other people. I would rather concentrate my time on getting my teeth fixed one way or the other and continue living my life the best way I can, be it may be paycheck from paycheck. As I have stated a million times before I am also not looking for a damn handout. I am willing to pay any way I can. If I have to save for six months, loose half the teeth I have left, loose my job because I can be out dealing with the public because I look like a crack xxxx living on the streets, that is the way it goes. I will survive one way or the other and do it the best way I can. At least I can hold my head high and say yeah I didn't ask anyone to pay my way, put other people down for trying to live there life.
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

So what do you want here on the forum?
With all you have said, I doubt that any dentist would want to take you on as a patient.
You have done nothing but complain about every dentist you have seen.
You have complained when they were not willing to do what you wanted instead of what they thought should be done.
I suspect you would find the same thing with doctors. You could go to lots of different ones and not be happy if you asked them to do treatment on you which was not medically recommended.
AlanH
Lord of the Board

Post by AlanH »

Full story is not being told.

No surprise.

You had full dental in the U.S. and yet look at the results of you having full dental. Either the standards of U.S. dental care can only rival those of the Medieval times, or you are leaving a lot out of your tale of woe. I've seen plenty of Americans with perfectly fine teeth, so I'm really doubting your story...After 30 years, I would expect you would have lucked out and found at least one good dentist!

You then have the Gaul to suggest to others (Many with perfectly good teeth I might add) that Dentistry in this Country lacks any compassion and that they are just out for money? You are wrong! The dentist will suggest the best course of action to repair your issue, quote a cost, and offer possible billing options. It is up to you to either accept their diagnosis, get another opinion from another dentist, or do your own dental work with a pair of rusty pliers, a screwdriver, a piece of string and a dremel.

Have you ever considered that the problem you are having with your teeth is completely from your own doing, and the issues you are having with so many different Dentists is because you may not have a degree in dentistry?

Yeesh!
neysa59

Post by neysa59 »

Oh my freakin god. Ok quick recap. I am not saying dentist here are a piece of crap. My teeth problem is a result of what one dentist did a very very very long time ago. Most dentist would rather do what they want, ei root canals, veneers, implants when normal people cannot afford that. Doing that to my teeth is stupid since there is bone deteroration and gum recession because of what happened so long ago. There is nothing there to hold them in. But in a way I do have a problem with the medical profession. One example from my own experience. I almost DIED. Five years of servere pain. Symptons were like a gall bladder problem. After a medicine cabinet that looked like a pharamcy, 5 years worth of being diagnosed with wrong things. Finally found a doctor who would check gall bladder. Guess what. Emergency surgery. Had a stone blocking a duct, which will kill you, and a gall bladder full of stones, it had to be removed. So yeah I do have some issues but I do keep going til I find one that isn't trying to just make there money because they don't care. There are some out there that do care and not after the almighty dollar.
What do I want from this forum. I'll tell you what, definitely don't need you people to just sit here and slam me like I am the scum of the earth. Go find someone else to pick on. Orignally this was just a rant because of total frustration over 2 weeks of nothing but trying to find some alternatives, actually been trying for over a month but 2-3 weeks solid searching now. This ended up though hoping that maybe someone else out here may have had a similar experience so maybe had ideas on what I could try. As I said before at least so far one good thing because of one suggestion, my medical has been activated now evern though it couldn't help me with dental problem but all is good.
So anyways the whole story has been told. I am normal. Live practially paycheck to paycheck. I am not rich or have a lot of money in the bank. I am not looking for a handout. Ideas yes. Maybe I will find a dentist eventually that might be willing to work with me a little. If not then I guess I will have the money saved up in 6 months. As long as I don't loose my job because of more front teeth falling out and making it look so bad that I can't be out there in front of the public because it looks so horrible. But that is an extreme. Hey look at the good side. Can't hardly eat so guess I will loose so more weight lol. Can always loose a few extra pounds. But as I said if all you have to say is negative bad *bleep* to me to make yourself feel better, maybe you should go somewhere else because this is the last time I will respond to the negativity. It ain't worth it. I need to concentrate my time on trying to get my teeth fixed, not trying to explain myself to you.
fred 2
Fledgling

Post by fred 2 »

Have you trided the bank or credit union? If you are working you must have a bank account.
neysa59

Post by neysa59 »

Yeah. Had my bank account for almost 12 years and they say nope can't help you. You don't have a credit history so no go. They had actually told me almost a year ago that a prepaid credit card from they would help build my credit history. Guess what they lied. It did me no good. Guess I should have gotten a secured credit card. After all of this is over and done I will be getting one. Definitely have to build my credit and it looks like its the only way I can. Thanks for the advice though :)
amomof2dogs
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by amomof2dogs »

I'm really sorry to hear of your dilema. I've never been in a situation as you describe but I do sympathize. As far as a credit history, do you have utility bills in your name? A good payment record also help build credit.
I think, therefore we are different.

Return to “Social Concerns”