Honest working person just plain gets screwed over

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Re: Honest working person just plain gets screwed over

Post by Captain Awesome »

Once again. You can get your own dental insurance through Blue Cross or BCAA. Dental insurance usually has 3 months waiting period before you can use. After that you can start working on your problems.

Doesn't cost much either.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Salamander420
Fledgling

Post by Salamander420 »

CaptainAwesome wrote:Once again. You can get your own dental insurance through Blue Cross or BCAA. Dental insurance usually has 3 months waiting period before you can use. After that you can start working on your problems.

Doesn't cost much either.

I totally agree.Blue cross is not that much for single person.This is the way you can get your teeth fixed and make monthly payments.Just go to their website and apply for the dental coverage.It is really that easy.
kgcayenne
Walks on Forum Water

Post by kgcayenne »

There's a catch though... restorative work (crown etc) is only covered to 50% to a max of $500/year and only applies after 12 months; from the looks of it, at least extractions are 80% covered.

I ran the numbers through the Blue Cross Instant Quote as though the OP's birthdate was 1959. The premiums would be $84/mo. Coverage of major work not eligible until after 12 mos = $958 in premiums before any major work. The 50% coverage is to a maximum of $500 meaning they only cover 1/2 of major procedures up to $1000, so you would be paying the other $500 PLUS your $958 in premiums. The Blue Cross site did not disclose what the basic (80%) coverage maximum is.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
neysa59

Post by neysa59 »

Yeah wish it would have been that simple. Getting dental plan is a good idea, too bad it wouldn't be effective a lot sooner. It is something I will be looking into to see if I will need something like that in the future. With having dentures after this is all done I'm not too sure if its something that would be worth having since I really won't be needing to see a dentist on a regular basis. That is something I will have to discuss with my denturist to find out if it is worth it. Thanks for the help and finding all that out for me though. I really appreciate the work you put into it. In the end everything will work out, just can't give up. Gotta keep plugging away at it :)
rookie314
Übergod

Post by rookie314 »

To bad your not addicted to Heroin, they are lining up to give the stuff away.
normaM
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by normaM »

I hope it works out for you - have you thought about going to a church ( if you aren't already a church goer) and talking to the Preacher, etc about the situation> maybe they could speak to the Gospel Mission on your behalf. I'd also consider going to the hospital if you don't have a family Dr here and explaining your situation -
Am I free tomorrow? No I'm expensive every day
TJ05
Fledgling

Post by TJ05 »

*you need to repost using the quote feature, or at the very least separating which is the quote and which is your post/Jo*
WhatThe

Post by WhatThe »

rookie314 wrote:To bad your not addicted to Heroin, they are lining up to give the stuff away.

I think that's the third time you've posted that response in various threads, is that all you can contribute?
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

TJ05 wrote:neysa59 wrote:

Yes I am saving as much as I can. No this problem did not happen overnight but also when I have seen dentist even a year ago they were more wanting to do implants, root canals and all that stuff. Dentist unfortunately are more interested it seems on making as much money as they can and not listening to there patients. Basically I almost had to wait to this point to get what I wanted done. Yes if I was in the states I would probably still have this problem but also before I moved here I had dental coverage, full coverage actually. To give an example on how much the dentists here are more into making the most amount of money a very good friend of mine has the same problem. She went to one dentist and they wanted to do all kinds of crap, and it was only gonna cost her a simple amount of 16000 dollars for all the work. Unless you are very very well off no one can honestly afford that crap. Then she found another dentist who appeared to at least listen to her a little bit. They gave her a quote of like 5000 dollars to pull her top teeth put in upper dentures fix some of the bottoms pull a few and give her a bridge. Well guess what. She did get her uppers pulled and upper plates put in. But hmmmm guess that quote didn't mean *bleep*. 5000 dollars later she only has the uppers done and no work on the bottoms. Thats ok so now she needs work done on the lowers. Her and the dentist agreed the bottoms could be saved. She has on bad on in the front and they agreed to start on that one first. Well she goes into the appointment and they tell her they are gonna start on the back. She walked out. This dentist just wanted as much money as he could get and would not listen to her. She is now looking for one that will listen and ain't having much luck.
Well anyways I'm beginning to forget what started this all. Oh ok yeah I remember this not happening overnight. No it did not. I could not find a dentist here that would do what I want. And anyways who really cares if it did or didn't. Lets be honest statistics say the average lower and middle class people do tend to ignore there dental problems because they are more concerned with being able to just pay their bills and eat. Basically live. They cannot afford regular visits to the dentists. And to make it even sadder do you people also realize that they say that people with dental problems are more likely to commit suicide. That is really really sad if you ask me. I am not saying I am suicidal I am just quoting facts. And the fact is that with everyone saying that dental is so damn important you would think it would be more affordable to the average people. It's all about the money. He who dies with the most wins as they say and sure as heck seems like that saying is more and more true as times go on. And also you know most of us average people that are just trying to get by are not looking for handouts and freebies. We would like to be able to afford those things that we need. And when something comes up or needs to be done it sure would be nice if there were dentists, doctors and whoever out there that would be willing to work with people. We are more than willing to pay we just don't have all that money at once.

It would be nice if dentists would realize that most working people cannot afford what they
charge to get dental work done.
I understand your frustration with them as I have been
there myself. Five years ago I went to see a dentist for an infection for a back molar,he
took an x ray and stated that I would have to see a surgeon and gave me a perscription
for some heavy antibiotics. He failed to tell me the reason though...he suspected that
I had bone cancer. I took the antibiotics which didnt even touch the pain that i had to
go through for six months. I could'nt sleep at night because I was in so much pain and
your right...no one in this town will help you. I was also told if I didnt get it looked after
that the infection could go to my brain, and if it didnt kill me I would end up being
cared for for the rest of my life. I was fortunate a family member was finally able to
help me financially. If I were you, I would get your family member to help you with
the removal of your teeth first,worry about the dentures later, maybe msp will cover
that part...I dont know. I wish you the best of luck and if you ever need to talk, you
can pm me. Take care.

It would be nice if people understood that Dentists are not the villain here. The Gov't does not pay any part of treatment as they do to Medical Doctors. The Gov't does not build and equip dental offices as they do medical treatment centres. Dentists go to school for 7 years, just the same as medical doctors. Then, they either join and existing practice, or open their own. They purchase all the equipment and supplies. They go into business, that's right, it's a business, no different from a private medical clinic.

Any BC resident should know that our BC Medical does not cover dental coverage. That makes it their own individual responsibility. If they choose to spend their money elsewhere and not attend to their dental health, that is not the Dentist's fault.
Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.
kgcayenne
Walks on Forum Water

Post by kgcayenne »

A good dentist wants to save teeth. A good dentist will do this in stages as best as they can. I have been through a dental challenge myself, more than 20 years of no dentist visits and zero coverage. We started with one filling per visit (total of 2). Then came the root canal in two stages, I paid 1/2 on the first visit, 1/2 on the second, had to do a third, emergency visit too (actually had to perform the root canal over again due to infection, talk about PAIN). The filling was a temporary one so I didn't have to pay more that day. Later, when infection etc was sorted out and the temporary filling was needing to come out, the permanent filling went in, and I paid for that. This was about $800 worth of work safely carried over several months. we're delaying the crown as long as possible because they are expensive.

Dentists want to save teeth, that's their pledge. I would think it to be very discouraging for a dentist when an uneducated patient walks in and tells them to just extract. As patients, we know less and have to actually BE patient, it's for our own good.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
TJ05
Fledgling

Post by TJ05 »

*you need to repost using the quote feature, or at the very least separating which is the quote and which is your post/Jo*
TJ05
Fledgling

Post by TJ05 »

gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

TJ05 wrote:
Let me guess you or your other half is a dentist. You are wrong on it being best to save some
teeth and have a partial,many people I have known listened to their dentists and got partials
and regretted it after,is it not true that over time the teeth wear out from having the wire
hook onto it? What kind of problems with dentures are you talking about? When a person
cannot afford to go to a dentist on a regular basis or pay for expensive work to be done,
where is it in thier best interest to refuse a persons wishes to have thier teeth removed.
If I pay for a service I expect my wishes to be followed

Sorry, you are wrong on many counts. I am not married to a Dentist, nor have I EVER had a dental plan.

When you remove teeth, the bone which has held them in begins to disappear. That is the same bone which would hold the denture in place. People who have problems with partials, could have them for a number of reasons. It could be that they are not maintaining the remaining teeth properly. It could be that they have not returned to have the partial checked and adjusted.

As for paying for a service, Dentists are not hair dressers. If you do not like the result, things will not grow back. They are medical professionals and are required to provide a standard of care.
If you asked a Doctor to cut off your arm and he refused, do you not think he might have a reason?
Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.
TJ05
Fledgling

Post by TJ05 »

If the individual cannot afford the service and the dentist was aware of that, would it not be
much better for the individual to have to teeth removed to avoid the chance of infection?
As far as bone loss,every individual is different,some lose alot others very little. Dentures can
be adjusted to this.
NAB
Buddha of the Board

Post by NAB »

Dentist IMO are no different than any other business person selling a product or service outside the government regulated arena. They will always try to sell the muchest for the mostest and recommend a plan of action accordingly. I don't think in most cases it is about some moral or professional obligation to save teeth "at any cost", but rather to maximize income like anyone else. Having said that, most of them are astute enough to know what price the market (the individual in the chair and/or his insurance plan if any) will/can bear and decide the best course of action accordingly. The dentist knows there is no sense trying to sell a $20,000.00 full mouth overhaul including caps, crowns and implants to someone who cannot pay them for it.

The flip side of course is that a dentist is not a charitable operation or credit institution either, or even would be willing to open that Pandora's box and set such a precedent.

Still, one thing I think dentists, as professional medical practitioners, should do... Is provide basic emergency service where required in the most efficient and economical way possible, even if it would not be the recommended route if the patient could afford it. Not send the patient packing to suffer.

Find a local Scottish born and raised dentist trained and experienced in Scotland who hasn't been in Canada very long and perhaps just starting in practice, or perhaps from one of the Eastern European countries or Russia even. He or she will know what to do and it will be done in less than half an hour, possibly on the first visit if you have cash in your pocket ;-)

In this particular case it would not appear that saving the remaining teeth is an option. Visit a denture (denturist) lab and get some advise from them (they may wish to take molds for use down the road), and may even have some advise for you as to a recommended dentist and approach to the problem.

Nab
"He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still." - Lao-Tzu

Return to “Social Concerns”