Honest working person just plain gets screwed over

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Advocate
Guru

Re: Honest working person just plain gets screwed over

Post by Advocate »

gardengirl wrote:It sounds like you have a real issue with Dentists in general. It makes no sense that if you had full dental coverage in the states that you did not get it looked after.
You are blabbing on about the Dentists not wanting to do what you want them to do.
Perhaps there is a reason for that....they have training and you do not.
A Dentist is not going to do something just because you have told them to, especially if they do not believe it is the correct treatment for the situation. A dentist will not remove teeth which could be saved.

Yes, they will if the patient requests that work. Mine did.

So instead of having your teeth repaired earlier, you have left them to deteriorate to the point that there is not much left besides remove them. Still, the dentists you have seen have offered options which could allow you to save some of the teeth. It will cost much more because YOU have allowed it to get this bad.

Another reason it costs more is that if the dentist can save your teeth, he can continue to work on them. Once they are pulled, they are replaced with false ones. There isn't as much money in maintenance of dentures than the teeth.

Dentists do not like to remove teeth. It is the last thing they will do as dentures will cause you problems as well. If they can save even a couple of teeth, those teeth will help to maintain bone and make it easier to have dentures fit well.

People have different experiences with dentures, some get along quite well with them, while others need to look at other alternatives. There are often many options to deal with dental problems. Your dentist should be presenting them all, but it helps if you ask, "what alterntatives do I have?"

Here's an idea, move back to the states, get back on your full dental coverage.

I'll bet that idea has already been explored.
Oh, and good luck finding a Dentist who will plan your treatment based on your expertise.

You should be able to find a dentist who will work with you on a long-term plan, which includes your input, with a reasonable payment schedule.
Advocate
Guru

Post by Advocate »

kccayenne wrote:A good dentist wants to save teeth. A good dentist will do this in stages as best as they can. I have been through a dental challenge myself, more than 20 years of no dentist visits and zero coverage. We started with one filling per visit (total of 2). Then came the root canal in two stages, I paid 1/2 on the first visit, 1/2 on the second, had to do a third, emergency visit too (actually had to perform the root canal over again due to infection, talk about PAIN). The filling was a temporary one so I didn't have to pay more that day. Later, when infection etc was sorted out and the temporary filling was needing to come out, the permanent filling went in, and I paid for that. This was about $800 worth of work safely carried over several months. we're delaying the crown as long as possible because they are expensive.

Dentists want to save teeth, that's their pledge. I would think it to be very discouraging for a dentist when an uneducated patient walks in and tells them to just extract. As patients, we know less and have to actually BE patient, it's for our own good.

A good dentist, like a good physician, a good lawyer, and a good accountant, listens to his patients and considers their input.

Not everyone has a thousand dollars to spend on one tooth, and not everyone has dental insurance, which is unfortuate, because dental rates are set around collecting insurance, not the average person without insurance.
Last edited by Advocate on Aug 24th, 2009, 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

Advocate wrote:
kccayenne wrote:A good dentist wants to save teeth. A good dentist will do this in stages as best as they can. I have been through a dental challenge myself, more than 20 years of no dentist visits and zero coverage. We started with one filling per visit (total of 2). Then came the root canal in two stages, I paid 1/2 on the first visit, 1/2 on the second, had to do a third, emergency visit too (actually had to perform the root canal over again due to infection, talk about PAIN). The filling was a temporary one so I didn't have to pay more that day. Later, when infection etc was sorted out and the temporary filling was needing to come out, the permanent filling went in, and I paid for that. This was about $800 worth of work safely carried over several months. we're delaying the crown as long as possible because they are expensive.

Dentists want to save teeth, that's their pledge. I would think it to be very discouraging for a dentist when an uneducated patient walks in and tells them to just extract. As patients, we know less and have to actually BE patient, it's for our own good.

A good dentist, like a good physician, a good lawyer, and a good accountant, listens to his patience and considers their input.

Not everyone has a thousand dollars to spend on one tooth, and not everyone has dental insurance, which is unfortuate, because dental rates are set around collecting insurance, not the average person without insurance.

These people can also be sued for malpractice if they agree to do something which is not within the realm of professional practice.
The Dentists this person visited did offer suggestions.
The big deal seems to be that they will not do major treatment on a total stranger, with no credit rating, on the promise that they will pay.

I seriously doubt that Accountants, Doctors and Lawyers would to that either.
Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.
kgcayenne
Walks on Forum Water

Post by kgcayenne »

It truly sucks that dental coverage is not open to everyone at a reasonable cost. Not everyone has a thousand dollars to pay for coverage and yet more for the stinking deductible. With all the negative health effects of tooth decay, dental care really ought to be a regular part of our overall healthcare.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
mtnman1
Guru

Post by mtnman1 »

So, in the end, the "hard working" person got screwed over by no one. You want good teeth, be prepared to save and pay for them yourself and never assume someone else will pay for you.
Lack of objection is implied consent.
kgcayenne
Walks on Forum Water

Post by kgcayenne »

That is a pretty harsh way of looking at it.

It has to be said that looking after our teeth should be a big priority.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
mtnman1
Guru

Post by mtnman1 »

kccayenne wrote:That is a pretty harsh way of looking at it.

WE are ultimatly responsible. Don't brush now, pay later. Don't floss now, pay later. and so on. Same as many places all over the world. Harsh, yes, that is the way it is .
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

kccayenne wrote:It truly sucks that dental coverage is not open to everyone at a reasonable cost. Not everyone has a thousand dollars to pay for coverage and yet more for the stinking deductible. With all the negative health effects of tooth decay, dental care really ought to be a regular part of our overall healthcare.

I agree. Maybe everyone should write to Gordon Campbell and demand that basic dental care be added to MSP....instead of BC hosting the Olympics.

****this is about where certain members saw the words 'Gordon Campbell' and were unable to restrain their fine selves from getting into a political debate. This post is still relevant to the topic at hand, the rest have been removed/Jo****
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

kccayenne wrote:That is a pretty harsh way of looking at it.

Well, in this case, this person had full dental coverage, and still did nothing.
Now she is blaming everyone else for the situation in which she now finds herself.
mtnman1
Guru

Post by mtnman1 »

gardengirl wrote:
kccayenne wrote:It truly sucks that dental coverage is not open to everyone at a reasonable cost. Not everyone has a thousand dollars to pay for coverage and yet more for the stinking deductible. With all the negative health effects of tooth decay, dental care really ought to be a regular part of our overall healthcare.

I agree. Maybe everyone should write to Gordon Campbell and demand that basic dental care be added to MSP....instead of BC hosting the Olympics.

Too late, maybe we should say no to the olympics in Kelowna and get dental for all of the residents here.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

mtnman1 wrote: WE are ultimatly responsible. Don't brush now, pay later. Don't floss now, pay later. and so on. Same as many places all over the world. Harsh, yes, that is the way it is .

That is true. We are all ultimately responsible – for all aspects of our health. But given what we know now today about the link between dental health and overall health it really does make sense to include some form of dental care with our medical plans. I know that in some cases people on welfare get better dental coverage than low income earners (kinda like access to legal representation)

It is true that we are all ultimately individually responsible for our health. But despite that, it is the collective that ultimately ends up paying for people’s difficulties. So the question is – do we intervene now when costs are relatively low, or do we wait for crisis and end up spending ten times (or more) the amount. So far we’ve chosen the latter course of action and that might explain in large part the amount of our health care deficit.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

removed
Last edited by Jo on Aug 24th, 2009, 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off-topic
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

removed
Last edited by Jo on Aug 24th, 2009, 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

gardengirl wrote:

That would be a good idea. Even if it's just cleaning and yearly consult on your teeth conditions - that would be well worth it. Dentist would love it - some steady work for them. People would love it even if MSP goes up. The gov't should look into it.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

removed
Last edited by Jo on Aug 24th, 2009, 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Social Concerns”