The 42 Fallacies on Castanet - Read at your own risk!

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
User avatar
Glacier
The Pilgrim
Posts: 40812
Joined: Jul 6th, 2008, 10:41 pm

The 42 Fallacies on Castanet - Read at your own risk!

Post by Glacier »

Hello fellow posters. Please comb over this list of fallacies before making any further posts. Thanks.

    1. Ad Hominem
    2. Ad Hominem Tu Quoque
    3. Appeal to Authority
    4. Appeal to Belief
    5. Appeal to Common Practice
    6. Appeal to Consequences of a Belief
    7. Appeal to Emotion
    8. Appeal to Fear
    9. Appeal to Flattery
    10. Appeal to Novelty
    11. Appeal to Pity
    12. Appeal to Popularity
    13. Appeal to Ridicule
    14. Appeal to Spite
    15. Appeal to Tradition
    16. Bandwagon
    17. Begging the Question
    18. Biased Sample
    19. Burden of Proof
    20. Circumstantial Ad Hominem
    21. Composition
    22. Confusing Cause and Effect
    23. Division
    24. False Dilemma
    25. Gambler's Fallacy
    26. Genetic Fallacy
    27. Guilt By Association
    28. Hasty Generalization
    29. Ignoring A Common Cause
    30. Middle Ground
    31. Misleading Vividness
    32. Personal Attack
    33. Poisoning the Well
    34. Post Hoc
    35. Questionable Cause
    36. Red Herring
    37. Relativist Fallacy
    38. Slippery Slope
    39. Special Pleading
    40. Spotlight
    41. Straw Man
    42. Two Wrongs Make A Right

    43. The Pathetic Fallacy
    44. The False Analogy
    45. The Nirvana Fallacy
    46. No True Scotsman
    47. The Broken Window Fallacy
    48. Transposed Conditional
Source: http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacie ... html#index

TERMS AND CONDITIONS: It is assumed you have read and understand the list. In doing so, you have now consented to omit all fallacies from future posts (outside of this thread). Failure to do so could result in unknown consequences. Or worse - the heavy hand of Jo.

Anyone who tries to appeal to Emotion, Fear, Flattery, Novelty, Pity, Popularity, Ridicule, Spite, or Tradition could receive an automatic 25,200 second ban. Invoking one of the remaining fallacies could result in additional seconds.

WARNING: This newly imparted knowledge could reduce hostility and stress levels in some posters. For those who have an under-active heart rate, you may need to stop smoking weed or become oblivious to humor to compensate for any reduction in stress.

CAUTION: Using humor in your posts can be missed by the intended targets; the chaotic mayhem that results can be hazardous to your health. Do not, under any circumstances, overlook humour if you have high blood pressure.

DANGER: In the event humour is detected in a post, any assumption that the post does not contain serious subject matter is a fallacy for which you could be banned.

DISCLAIMER: Under no circumstances is the above poster responsible for any injuries incurred when posters engage in activities such as, but not limited to, jumping to conclusions, swallowing their pride, pushing their luck, flying off the handle, and jumping on the bandwagon.

Post at your own risk, and have a good day.
Last edited by Glacier on Aug 22nd, 2013, 5:38 pm, edited 9 times in total.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
User avatar
my2rotties
Lord of the Board
Posts: 3150
Joined: Jun 14th, 2010, 7:53 pm

Re: The 42 Fallacies on Castanet - READ AT YOUR OWN RISK!

Post by my2rotties »

Well now I am afraid to even comment on this...
It doesn't matter how good looking he or she is, some where, someone is tired of his or her's crap.
User avatar
logicalview
Guru
Posts: 9792
Joined: Feb 6th, 2006, 3:59 pm

Re: The 42 Fallacies on Castanet - READ AT YOUR OWN RISK!

Post by logicalview »

Glacier, thank you for clearing this up.

(From your source) it is important to recognize that...

A fallacy is, very generally, an error in reasoning. This differs from a factual error, which is simply being wrong about the facts. To be more specific, a fallacy is an "argument" in which the premises given for the conclusion do not provide the needed degree of support. A deductive fallacy is a deductive argument that is invalid (it is such that it could have all true premises and still have a false conclusion). An inductive fallacy is less formal than a deductive fallacy. They are simply "arguments" which appear to be inductive arguments, but the premises do not provided enough support for the conclusion. In such cases, even if the premises were true, the conclusion would not be more likely to be true.


So you have to be very careful when you fallicize.
Not afraid to say "It".
Jo
Slot 16
Posts: 22663
Joined: Nov 27th, 2004, 12:33 pm

Re: The 42 Fallacies on Castanet - READ AT YOUR OWN RISK!

Post by Jo »

Okay, now I wish we had a 'like' feature, lol.
User avatar
JLives
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 23179
Joined: Nov 27th, 2004, 10:53 am

Re: The 42 Fallacies on Castanet - READ AT YOUR OWN RISK!

Post by JLives »

Jo wrote:Okay, now I wish we had a 'like' feature, lol.


Me too! Let's get Troy on that.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
Advocate
Guru
Posts: 6171
Joined: Sep 23rd, 2008, 9:54 am

Re: The 42 Fallacies on Castanet - READ AT YOUR OWN RISK!

Post by Advocate »

Well then. That's the end of Castanet. :coffeecanuck:
User avatar
Nebula
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 16288
Joined: Jul 6th, 2005, 9:52 am

Re: The 42 Fallacies on Castanet - READ AT YOUR OWN RISK!

Post by Nebula »

Up your hominem. (I think.) :137:
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
User avatar
Glacier
The Pilgrim
Posts: 40812
Joined: Jul 6th, 2008, 10:41 pm

Re: The 42 Fallacies on Castanet - READ AT YOUR OWN RISK!

Post by Glacier »

Jo wrote:Okay, now I wish we had a 'like' feature, lol.

If we can learn anything from Facebook, a "like" feature would cause you to go insane because you would be inundated with hundreds of unrelenting requests demands for a "dislike" feature. My guess is at least 5 threads would be started simultaneously to decry Castanet's discriminatory favoritism.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Catz
Walks on Forum Water
Posts: 12731
Joined: Dec 8th, 2006, 5:44 am

Re: The 42 Fallacies on Castanet - READ AT YOUR OWN RISK!

Post by Catz »

:dyinglaughing:

pick me...I wanna be a favorite :dyinglaughing: :dyinglaughing:
rideforever
Übergod
Posts: 1066
Joined: Feb 26th, 2010, 2:00 pm

Re: The 42 Fallacies on Castanet - READ AT YOUR OWN RISK!

Post by rideforever »

I heard a celebrity saying that the govt doesn't use the dislike function to spy on us. So that means that they definetly use the like function to spy on us.


How many fallacies are in there?
User avatar
daria
Guru
Posts: 8170
Joined: Mar 29th, 2010, 4:26 pm

Re: The 42 Fallacies on Castanet - READ AT YOUR OWN RISK!

Post by daria »

Nebula wrote:Up your hominem. (I think.) :137:


:coffeecanuck:
Don't take my silence to mean I've agreed with you; I easily could've just lost interest in explaining how wrong you are.
History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes.
"I figured out how to monetize SJWs." Jordan B. Peterson
User avatar
Glacier
The Pilgrim
Posts: 40812
Joined: Jul 6th, 2008, 10:41 pm

Re: The 42 Fallacies on Castanet - READ AT YOUR OWN RISK!

Post by Glacier »

Fallacy # 43 : The Pathetic Fallacy

The pathetic fallacy or anthropomorphic fallacy is the treatment of inanimate objects as if they had human feelings, thought, or sensations. In other words, it is essentially animism masquerading as science.

While one could be tempted to rationalize the use of this fallacy in everyday conversation, it often used by teachers and professors to educate their pupils in science class. Even worse, it is used on Castanet.

Examples:

    1) your computer screen wants to get cleaned.
    2) CO2 likes to absorb infrared radiation.
    3) The mountains try to block the moisture laden clouds before they reach the Okanagan.
    4) Castanet hates me.
    5) Steven Lloyd's fence wants you to visit.

People, please stop this nonsense before you hurt the feelings of somebody's fence.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
User avatar
Bsuds
The Wagon Master
Posts: 55281
Joined: Apr 21st, 2005, 10:46 am

Re: The 42 Fallacies on Castanet - READ AT YOUR OWN RISK!

Post by Bsuds »

Puffy wrote::dyinglaughing:

pick me...I wanna be a favorite :dyinglaughing: :dyinglaughing:



That would be a Phallucy.. :sillygrin:
I haven't spoken to my Wife in 18 months...I hate to interrupt her!
rideforever
Übergod
Posts: 1066
Joined: Feb 26th, 2010, 2:00 pm

Re: The 42 Fallacies on Castanet - READ AT YOUR OWN RISK!

Post by rideforever »

Glacier wrote:Fallacy # 43 : The Pathetic Fallacy

The pathetic fallacy or anthropomorphic fallacy is the treatment of inanimate objects as if they had human feelings, thought, or sensations. In other words, it is essentially animism masquerading as science.

While one could be tempted to rationalize the use of this fallacy in everyday conversation, it often used by teachers and professors to educate their pupils in science class. Even worse, it is used on Castanet.

Examples:

    1) your computer screen wants to get cleaned.
    2) CO2 likes to absorb infrared radiation.
    3) The mountains try to block the moisture laden clouds before they reach the Okanagan.
    4) Castanet hates me.
    5) Steven Lloyd's fence wants you to visit.

People, please stop this nonsense before you hurt the feelings of somebody's fence.



aha... "even worse, it is used on Castanet"

come on, that's my one of my favorite humourus errors
User avatar
westsidebud
Lord of the Board
Posts: 3808
Joined: Jul 18th, 2009, 11:36 pm

Re: The 42 Fallacies on Castanet - READ AT YOUR OWN RISK!

Post by westsidebud »

im lost :coffeecanuck:
GO CANUCKS GO

Return to “Social Concerns”