Check your back alley

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Re: Check your back alley....

Post by Queen K »

Okay, ONCE AGAIN, check your back alley and yard, the RCMP were once again hunting down people who were reported going into people's backyards in the downtown core.

Officer said, "4 men were reported for suspicious activity but I have to go now because they got them."

And crime is supposedly down in Kelowna. Sure.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
zerograv
Banned

Post by zerograv »

I live in the capri area. I have people in my yard on an almost nightly basis, anything that isn't bolted down will be removed the night of leaving it there. My vehicles have been broken into multiple times since I moved in just over a year ago. I have motion sensor lights, but to no avail.

I have spoken to the police about this and they say they can't do anything unless I catch the people red handed.....well first of all it's their job to catch them, not mine. Second of all; I had a stranger come INTO my home on one occasion and refuse to leave (someone was chasing him for a drug debt) and it took the police hours to show up. It took about 20 minutes to force the man out with a baseball bat while my girlfriend hid,locked in the bathroom. The police felt compelled to remind me that I could be charged if I had hit the man. I got my case # and haven't heard anything about it since (of course)

So to hear that crime is down is obviously a stretch of the truth. Crime is up, people reporting crime is down because even when they report it NOTHING comes of it.

On a side note, Its funny that you talk of a Norco bike.

I found a black Norco on my property one morning and thought I'd try a little experiment. I hid it behind my detached garage in some bushes and low and behold the next morning it was gone!
Before giving someone a piece of your mind, make sure that you have enough to spare.
Andy S
Board Meister

Post by Andy S »

Queen K wrote:Okay, ONCE AGAIN, check your back alley and yard, the RCMP were once again hunting down people who were reported going into people's backyards in the downtown core.
Officer said, "4 men were reported for suspicious activity but I have to go now because they got them."
And crime is supposedly down in Kelowna. Sure.

I suppose someone will say this topic belongs in some other thread ...
QK my friend, yup the courthouse docket only had 26 pages today - down from 28 the other day but oops; up from 8 pages on Monday. There will probably be posters who yell "paranoia" and "hype monger" - whatever. We hear talk & read about about unreported crime in our town. Sure, murders and muddled up old personal-use pot growers busting themselves, sells on the headlines.
The back alleys all over town, and More Alleys than others, can at any random time or place seethe with creepy crawlers.
As a watchful-of-my-neighborhood kind of civilian, I check this link over coffee early each morning.
Just look at the "Charge Age Date" ie 0 Days=yesterday, 14 obviously 2 weeks ago. And the "breach of's .." are just the lowlifes walking out through the revolving door.
http://www.ag.gov.bc.ca/courts/court-li ... t_List.pdf
One can always reason with reason.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

zerograv wrote: I had a stranger come INTO my home on one occasion and refuse to leave (someone was chasing him for a drug debt) and it took the police hours to show up. It took about 20 minutes to force the man out with a baseball bat while my girlfriend hid,locked in the bathroom. The police felt compelled to remind me that I could be charged if I had hit the man. I got my case # and haven't heard anything about it since (of course)

Wow! That is distressing. I really have a hard time believing any judge would convict you even if Crown would approve the charges in the first place. You are allowed to use reasonable force to protect yourself, and given the fact you were also protecting not only your home but your girlfriend I really doubt Crown would proceed with it. I think I would have smoked him.
ILBT uh-huh
Guru

Post by ILBT uh-huh »

I remember back in 'Nam. They'd say "smoke em if you got em". Now. I say "smoke if you catch em!"
Morning coffee is the highlight of my day. It's downhill all day after that.
KtownCouple
Fledgling

Post by KtownCouple »

steven lloyd wrote:
zerograv wrote: I had a stranger come INTO my home on one occasion and refuse to leave (someone was chasing him for a drug debt) and it took the police hours to show up. It took about 20 minutes to force the man out with a baseball bat while my girlfriend hid,locked in the bathroom. The police felt compelled to remind me that I could be charged if I had hit the man. I got my case # and haven't heard anything about it since (of course)

Wow! That is distressing. I really have a hard time believing any judge would convict you even if Crown would approve the charges in the first place. You are allowed to use reasonable force to protect yourself, and given the fact you were also protecting not only your home but your girlfriend I really doubt Crown would proceed with it. I think I would have smoked him.

U shoulda beat him down. No jury in the world would convict you of defending yourself, a woman and your property from some druggie.
Edison : I haven't failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Andy, you-know-who former landlords actually called the police and this is what came of it.

Seen: 3 guys in a grey car and one in a back yard, over the fence and up to the house.
Called: RCMP
Caught: four guys, 2 with id, 2 with no id.
All four let go.

Yup, even if the RCMP have them, it's 'catch and release.'

No idea if the 5 hyperdermic needles found in the field have been there long or not.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
ILBT uh-huh
Guru

Post by ILBT uh-huh »

We have lived in this neighbourhood for over seven years and just recently some vehicles got broken into. We (the neighbours and I) didn't take long to figure out the source of the problem. There will be no catch and release. In a conversation with an officer one day, he mentioned that he wouldn't have a problem if somebody caught somebody, and the culprit "fell down repeatedly".

ETA:
Note to Queen K:
If you come to steal my dog, I will show you no mercy. :ducking:
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

If your dog is a poodle, I will show you no mercy. :runforlife:
ILBT uh-huh
Guru

Post by ILBT uh-huh »

:dyinglaughing: I never get tired of kicking small yappy dogs. Not to worry. Mine is a big muscular guard dog breed.

Lot of good that does when he's lying on the bed with me snoring all night.

Guard dog my butt! I do have him trained to attack on command, tho.

BTW. We don't have a back alley.
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

zerograv wrote:I live in the capri area. I have people in my yard on an almost nightly basis, anything that isn't bolted down will be removed the night of leaving it there. My vehicles have been broken into multiple times since I moved in just over a year ago. I have motion sensor lights, but to no avail.

I have spoken to the police about this and they say they can't do anything unless I catch the people red handed.....well first of all it's their job to catch them, not mine. Second of all; I had a stranger come INTO my home on one occasion and refuse to leave (someone was chasing him for a drug debt) and it took the police hours to show up. It took about 20 minutes to force the man out with a baseball bat while my girlfriend hid,locked in the bathroom. The police felt compelled to remind me that I could be charged if I had hit the man. I got my case # and haven't heard anything about it since (of course)

So to hear that crime is down is obviously a stretch of the truth. Crime is up, people reporting crime is down because even when they report it NOTHING comes of it.

On a side note, Its funny that you talk of a Norco bike.

I found a black Norco on my property one morning and thought I'd try a little experiment. I hid it behind my detached garage in some bushes and low and behold the next morning it was gone!

Give him a real good beating about the knees. Call the cops. Get rid of the bat. Tell the authorities he fell. Twice.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
ILBT uh-huh
Guru

Post by ILBT uh-huh »

Why would you need to tell the authorities twice?
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

old-bushman wrote:Why would you need to tell the authorities twice?

That he fell twice!!! :discodance:
ILBT uh-huh
Guru

Post by ILBT uh-huh »

Only twice? I would beat any thief I caught in my back yard like there is no tomorrow. I don't fight to lose. They'd be haulin' his/her sorry butt out of here in an ambulance.
prairieflower
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by prairieflower »

Thank heavens I live up in the Glenrosa section of Westbank, where we have no alleys. Just bears, deers and the gosh darn cats that think our yard is their litter box... :127:

Return to “Social Concerns”