Attempt of a paypal scam

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
HK01

Attempt of a paypal scam

Post by HK01 »

i am tired of you

On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 8:52 AM, *removed*/ferri wrote:

Sorry but I am not going to fall for your scam. You did waste my time but thats okay because I am not a stupid girl. Pick up a new act because the paypal scam has been around for such a long time, no one in their right mind is going to fall for it. Anyways, what does it say about you, attempting to scam people. Get off the couch, get a job and work for the things you want. Its a simple solution.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2010 12:13:37 +0100

Subject: Re: A message about your ad on Castanet Classifieds
To: *removed*/ferri

if you are not doing paypal fine bye
i don,t have time to waste

i don,t want your item again

bye

On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 4:53 PM, *removed*/ferri wrote:

Well if your ever in Kelowna you can email me. Or you can interac email transfer the money then I can send it out but I am not taking any risks.

> Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2010 05:49:05 -0700

> Subject: Re: A message about your ad on Castanet Classifieds
> From: *removed*/ferri
> To: *removed*/ferri
>
> i stay in the USA and i don,t think that will be possible for you to
> meet me from kelowna to usa
>
> On 10/17/10, *removed*/ferri wrote:
> >
> > really though, I dont know you. if someone was to scam me, would they
> > honestly tell me that they are going to do so. where do you live? I can see
> > if I can arrange to meet you.
> >
> >
> >
> > Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2010 04:03:50 -0800
> > Subject: Re: A message about your ad on Castanet Classifieds
> > From: *removed*/ferri
> > To: *removed*/ferri
> >
> > i understand what you are saying but i assure that this one will be secuered
> > and i will not scam you
> >
> >
> > On Sat, Oct 16, 2010 at 7:06 PM, *removed*/ferri
> > wrote:
> >
> >
> > I am not into the paypal stuff. You can either come and pick it up or not,
> > but theres too many paypal scams out there.
> >
> >
> >
> > Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2010 03:55:30 -0700
> > Subject: Re: A message about your ad on Castanet Classifieds
> > From: *removed*/ferri
> >
> >
> >
> > To: *removed*/ferri
> >
> > Hello, i am interested in buying your item for my pastor daughter who
> > is currently celebrating her birthday in west Africa, if you can mail
> > to explain the actual condition presently i am willing to offer $160
> > with the shipping and handling via UPS and get back to me with
> > your PayPal e-mail ID so that i can transfer your money to your paypal
> > account as soon as possible, Your urgent response will be highly
> > appreciated. Thanks and God bless
> >
> >
> > On Fri, Oct 15, 2010 at 10:15 PM, *removed*/ferri wrote:
> >
> >
> > I still have it. Whats your offer? As it is thats half the price I paid for
> > it and it has hardly been used because I found my ipod not to long after i
> > bought it.
> >
> >> Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2010 11:21:46 -0700
> >> To: *removed*/ferri
> >> Subject: A message about your ad on Castanet Classifieds
> >> From: *removed*/ferri
> >>
> >> Pink Zune
> >>
> >> hello i want to know if this item is still for sale if so email me back
> >> with your final asking price and the present condition for the item
> >>
> >> thanks

I've gotta admit, its pretty funny.
westsidebud
Lord of the Board

Re: Attempt of a paypal scam

Post by westsidebud »

i dont see it that way , if your sellling something and you have a paypal account , giving someone the info to put money in it, is safe lol
GO CANUCKS GO
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

There are a lot of scams out there but I fail to see much of a fraud attempt here.

No request for a bank account number, password, or other crucial private info, just a PayPal email address and that is in fact how it legitimately works.

That's not to say you have to use PayPal but in such a case it's wise to note in your ad what payment methods you will and will not consider so that people don't waste time on either side of a possible transaction.

It actually sounds to me as though the OP doesn't have a PayPal account or doesn't have much knowledge regarding how one works.

PayPal is a popular method by which people pay for eBay items and items sold/purchased on the internet and requesting a person's email is necessary for private transactions as that's the only way the funds can be put into your PayPal account.

This isn't necessary if you're doing an eBay transaction for example because your info is all on file with eBay and they more or less act as the middle man but when you're dealing one on one the other party needs a way to get the funds to you short of knocking on your door with cash.

What you do not ever give out is passwords and such as that would allow access to private information and/or your funds.

More and more reputable online vendors are actually accepting PayPal as a form of payment and in some ways it's actually more efficient.

One PC parts wholesaler I deal with takes various forms of payment with PayPal and Electronic Bill Payment among them. One major difference between them being that the PayPal payment registers with them immediately whereas the electronic bill payment method takes several business days before they can confirm that the funds were transferred even though they get taken out of your bank account immediately.

This is one major area where I feel the banks are scam artists because you can bet your booties they'd not process a transaction if you didn't have the funds on hand to support it yet somehow they manage to drag the process out for sometimes up to seven days in an age where a couple of keystrokes sends the money on its way instantly.

Consequently if you happen to be in a rush to get the item you purchased shipped as quickly as possible you actually save time by using PayPal.

I find some people just get too easily paranoid and would be better served learning how to conduct transactions safely.

Sorry HK01 but I don't see any reason to get your knickers in a twist based on what you posted.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
HK01

Post by HK01 »

I've heard it happen many times where once the item is mailed out, the payment via paypal is cancelled. This guy is willing to pay me $160 for an used Zune... Thats the price I paied new. He obviously is up to something.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

So, he's offering to pay you more than the dollar value in your ad? If so, that's damn fishy.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
mtnman1
Guru

Post by mtnman1 »

HK01 wrote:I've heard it happen many times where once the item is mailed out, the payment via paypal is cancelled. This guy is willing to pay me $160 for an used Zune... Thats the price I paied new. He obviously is up to something.

Write him off and get on with your life. There are a million scammers out there. Don't become another victim. Good for you, if they are persistant, save all the emails and call the RCMP fraud squad.
Lack of objection is implied consent.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

I found the ad (no, I won't post the link) and the player is listed at $75. The respondent was offering $160. If anyone offers you more than double the listed price, they're either stupid or scamming - either is good reason to avoid a transaction with the respondent.

Good for you OP.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

I googled what this guy said - all over the place as a scam artist. Good for you OP for not taking him up on his offer.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Bagotricks
Lord of the Board

Post by Bagotricks »

Edit in : changed my tune ! Apperently a person can say "they never got the item" and by playing off of technicalities of paypal user terms and conditions - a person can get a "free" item and then get reimbursed by paypal. Just reading about this scam now. Never know - but always go through ebay and keep all your emails with the headers.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

HK01 wrote:I've heard it happen many times where once the item is mailed out, the payment via paypal is cancelled. This guy is willing to pay me $160 for an used Zune... Thats the price I paied new. He obviously is up to something.

Well if someone is offering you way more than asking price I'd be suspicious too but you made no mention of that in the original post.

I prefer to conduct transactions through eBay or with reputable vendors as opposed to ones of a private nature but nonetheless I was simply pointing out that requesting an email address in order to make a PayPal payment for a private transaction is perfectly normal.

It's up to each individual to be on guard for various warning signs and obviously offering ridiculous amounts above asking price is a huge red flag.

For sure there are shady operators out there but all I can say is I've done hundreds of transactions through PayPal with never a problem and I've always gotten my purchased item or monies for Items I shipped out.

Using common sense and good judgment applies as it does in any other instance be it using your debit card or credit cards.

For what it's worth setting a clearly defined payment/refund procedure when selling items is often half the battle.

People can cancel credit card transactions too in so far as that aspect goes.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
fvkasm2x
Guru

Post by fvkasm2x »

kccayenne wrote:I found the ad (no, I won't post the link) and the player is listed at $75. The respondent was offering $160. If anyone offers you more than double the listed price, they're either stupid or scamming - either is good reason to avoid a transaction with the respondent.

Good for you OP.

Not to mention that the buyer is from the States. I find it hard to believe that person found Castanet Classifieds, offered double the asking price and for some reason didn't use a classified ad service closer to home. I've heard that Craigslist thing is pretty popular in the States. :200: :dyinglaughing:
Advocate
Guru

Post by Advocate »

Offering more than asking price is always a red flag. Don't reply.
netfreak
Übergod

Post by netfreak »

IT IS A SCAM.. do you know what they do when you actually accept the deal? they make a fake "You've got cash" email that paypal sends and then they put a note on it saying "this won't show up in your paypal account yet as it is in escrow" which is another way of saying "this is totally fake." I spent like 3 weeks messing with a guy scamming me for a blackberry. Eventually I got his home address and then I told him my pet giraffe ate it.
designgal

Post by designgal »

this is still going on. received one today on my castanet ad. please google paypal scam on kijiji for more info. all the language in the email was similar or identical to those posted by others. beware. local and cash.

Return to “Social Concerns”